DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I was wondering what everyone uses to detail and shine their engine compartment?? I personally don't feel comfortable using the stuff you spray on and then rinse off with a hose. Something about shooting water directly at my engine doesn't seem right. Any do's and don't's?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
207 Posts
WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? I DO IT ALL THE DAM TIME.......Just make sure you aren't overheated or if your engine is hot spray the cleaner then just keep the engine running while you are spraying it(rinse) with water.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,718 Posts
Don't use hard pressure, just use your hose and wet the engine. If you have an aftermarket CAI (cold air filter) just cover it so you won't get the cone filter all wet......other than that, the engine and all the other internals are use to get wet. Just make sure the engine isn't hot when you will wet it or else you could crack the engine block. I use that spray on stuff call Simple Green. Also, you could get some spray on stuff but instead of spraying it on the engine, spray it on some towels and then wash the engine bay with it. Show us some pictures of before and after also. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,100 Posts
Bimmer_2002 said:
Don't use hard pressure, just use your hose and wet the engine. If you have an aftermarket CAI (cold air filter) just cover it so you won't get the cone filter all wet......other than that, the engine and all the other internals are use to get wet. Just make sure the engine isn't hot when you will wet it or else you could crack the engine block. I use that spray on stuff call Simple Green. Also, you could get some spray on stuff but instead of spraying it on the engine, spray it on some towels and then wash the engine bay with it. Show us some pictures of before and after also. ;)

I used to be religious about the Simple Green Seb, and I still use it, but much more selectively. I found that it strips all the color out of hoses and anything rubber very quickly. I try to keep it limited to greasy areas only now, and just use normal wash water, after I'm done washing the car itself, and I use a separate wash mit just for the engine bay.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,098 Posts
I use Gumout Engine steam cleaner to clean my engine. I spray it on and hose it off then dry it off with rag. Once it is clean and dry, i apply CD2 engine detailer and it leaves the engine looking good as new. I have had people ask me if i just bought the car because the engine bay is so clean.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
347 Posts
With the Intrepid's engine layout there is pretty much no worries about getting the engine bay wet (unless you have a CAI like Bimmer_2002 mentioned).
For other cars with a distributor "can" you will need to cover it up because if water gets under the distributor cap, ignition can get ugly.

I just use plain water and wet rags to clean my engine bay. Then use CD2 detailer on most of the engine bay, and followed by armor all on the hoses and cables.
If the engine bay is really grimed up, I would use an engine degreaser but I try to minimize the use because it seems like really strong stuff.

Besides... we dont need no clean engine bays :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
296 Posts
my neighbor uses something called GREASED LIGHTENING....he sprays it on and then washes if off with the hose..... his engine looks great
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
982 Posts
Best thing i found to degrease engine is regular go-jo hand cleaner. just brush it on with a big cheap paint brush let it sit a minuite and hose it off. Doesn't seem to bother hoses or plastic parts and it disolves grease better than engine cleaners. As far as hosing down engine compartment i've sprayed it lots of times never had any problems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
545 Posts
-Gojo works on cars? I never thought of that but it seems like it would be obvious! It gets grease off of skin almost instantly so I'm surprised I never thought of using it on an engine... I'll have to try that soon. Awesome idea! Are you sure there are no drawbacks?

-BaTmAn
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
982 Posts
BaTmAnCRHS said:
-Gojo works on cars? I never thought of that but it seems like it would be obvious! It gets grease off of skin almost instantly so I'm surprised I never thought of using it on an engine... I'll have to try that soon. Awesome idea! Are you sure there are no drawbacks?

-BaTmAn
Used it for many years hasn't seen to hurt anything yet. If you get it on paint it doesn't ruin it like some engine cleaners either plus I usually hose off engine with car parked in the yard and engine cleaner turns grass brown and gojo doesn't. It also rinses cleaner without so much oily residue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
545 Posts
-Do you use a scrub brush or just let it sit? What color is the intake plenum supposed to be originally? My friend told me it's a polished aluminum, but parts of my engine look like a bright white kind of color. Which is the color it should be?

-BaTmAn
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
347 Posts
lextrep said:
Best thing i found to degrease engine is regular go-jo hand cleaner. just brush it on with a big cheap paint brush let it sit a minuite and hose it off. Doesn't seem to bother hoses or plastic parts and it disolves grease better than engine cleaners. As far as hosing down engine compartment i've sprayed it lots of times never had any problems.
I'm going to give that a try. I have been keeping the use of degreasers to a minimum because I have always been apprehensive of how strong their solvents were.
If its safe for hands, then it should probably be safe for hoses and linings :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
545 Posts
-I used used some Go-jo last night on my intake plenum. Just did the top and left the part sticking out for the throttle body and intake. I definitely see a difference and I'm definitely going to finish off my engine later. Awesome idea!

Thanks
BaTmAn
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,254 Posts


I used an engine degreaser (foamy engine brite if i remember right), sprayed it off, then touched up all the plastic and rubber areas with a vinyl and rubber cleaner -- the same kind of stuff you'd use inside the car on say the dashboard.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top