DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a problem where I hear a slight knocking sound coming from the engine when I am idling at a light. The thing is I hear it when I am inside the car, but when I open the hood I hear nothing. I have a 1997 3.5 column shift and am wondering if I am hearing the death bell sounding :behead: .

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
the purge solenoid will make a very slight knocking sound, more noticeable inside the car and at idle. If this is the case it is normal,because it's mounted to the strut tower. Open your hood and put your hand on the purge solenoid with engine idling. If ya feel it pulsing at the same rate as the knock that your hearing , well there ya go,this is normal. If the knock is not the same rate, then more details would help us to help you.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
or it's the dreaded rod knock, I hope for the best

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
THATGUYONTHATSHOW said:
I am a total noob, so is that near the egr valve?
It's mounted to the passenger side shock tower (near the firewall). On 3.5 equipped Treps it shares the bracket with the Manifold Tuning Valve (3.3 does not have MTV). The purge solenoid will have the word "TOP" on the top end, it will have an electrical connector and a vacuum line. It only operates when the engine is in closed loop operation. It does not operate when immediately after a hot start, nor after a cold start. But at normal operating temps it pulses at a rate of between 5-10 times per second. How long have you owned your Trep????

·
Registered
3,041 Posts

The EVAP purge solenoid valve is located beside the air cleaner

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats where it is. I have had the car for 10 months since I bought it for $850 with a busted transmission at an auction. I saw the car and since nobody was bidding on it I decided to start the bidding and unfortunately I ended it too. I will check this out in the morning to see if it is the problem.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
just out of curiosity ,how many miles does it have ?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks jedgxe. I felt the purge solenoid and it's beating like a heart after a race, but it is completely in synch with the knocking sound so I guess I do not have rod knock (yet). The milleage on my car is 170,034 but according to carfax the the odometer was rolled back 10,000 miles so the real milleage is 180,0034.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts