DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife call me at work and tell her truck stopped. So I leave to meet her and AAA to get it towed to the shop. Get there and turn the key seems like the starter is bad. After beating on the starter I notice the starter is trying to do something. So just for kicks I check the Oil. Wow... the stick is not even wet. So I try turn the engine with a large screw driver then with a large pipe wench. Could not turn it. After work I am going to pull the plugs and put some Lucas Oil in there and let it sit for awhile and hopefully it will tunr over. Does anyone have any ideas about unlocking a engine. This is 97 Grand Cherokee with a 4.0L... I have only been telling her to get an oil change for 2 months now... We were suppose to go looking for a car for our dauther Saturday. Are son just got a 05 Sebring last year for his 16 birthday. This is offically my longest post ever...

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Time to get the wife a vespa for the winter. Hopefully her drive to work is against the wind and uphill, both ways. After that maybe she'll learn to take casre of a car.

Unlocking an engine when it's been run out of oil?? Nice concept.........

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,745 Posts
Yup, you will either be rebuilding that engine or swinging in a new one.

Dammit! :bash:

·
Registered
851 Posts
i would make sure its the oil causing this lock up issue before you start
timing belt. i think the engine would have showing signs 1st - like overheating and burning smell, that it wouldnt just happen in 1 sec. or when you went to turn on the vehicle after it had sit for a while.

and i wouldnt go dumping lucas oil into you spark plug holes
thats not going to do anything but mess up your engine worse

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
So how did this happen? Does the engine burn oil normally?

If the cause of the lockup is indeed from the oil running dry, then like others have said, there are no easy way to "unlock" it. You're talking about serious internal damages here.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Pull the spark plugs and they will tell the story...

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
i got a 4.0 from a 93 Cherokee 150,000 miles ill sell cheap.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, the Lucas Oil Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer pulls it off. Great stuff. Pulled all the plugs and they were in good shape. Put the Lucas in let sit, and try to turn the motor with some vise grips back and forth. Got it to click a few times and today it cranked up and smoked like hell. Should have had the camera ready. Did this before to a 1975 Chevy Caprice with a 454 in it. Used the stuff in the purple container that time. Ran another 3 years back and forth to school. Toledo, Ohio to Xenia Ohio. The wife wants to trade it in. We are still going car shopping just do not know for who. The wife or the daughter. Will not be buying two cars...

·
Registered
683 Posts
How's it running?

Be sure to keep an eye on oil consumption...especially after something like that. It may be worse than it was.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts