DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I was roaming around allpar.com, and stumbled across the V6es page. They gave info. and some basic specs on different generations of 3.3 liters, 3.5, liters, and one I don't know of, 3.8 liter engines, supposedly similar to the other two. I had previously never heard anything about this engine. :confused: :confused: :confused:
Could sombody straighten out my confusion???

Also, I was wondering what a cubic inch figure would be for the 3.5 liter engine (1st gen. of course). My rough conversion came out to be 213-214, but I'm sure the engine isn't 3.5000000 liters, so I'm not sure. Hey, why did the auto world ever phase out of using cubic inch figures and into liters. If I don't need or use metric, why should the rest of the world? :)

Thanks all.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Originally posted by Keith:
Hey, why did the auto world ever phase out of using cubic inch figures and into liters.
So that when foreigners like myself come into the country and want to buy a car, they know what size the engine is. You know for sure that the dealer wouldnt know how big a 215 was in litres. It also probably has something to do with all the import cars being in litres. The US is one of the only countries left in the world that doesnt use metric.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I think that the metric system was put into use because of the 70's and 80's downsizing of motors. If you went from a 454 Chevelle to a 2.0l Omni (don't remember what motor they put in them. That would not register as that small. But you convert that over and you get about a 123 c.i. motor. That would register a little more. Now that motors are starting to go larger again I have noticed that some stickers are putting the c.i. back on them. May just be a local thing though.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hey guys, here is the conversion to figure out litres to cubic inches. It works out to be very close. Take the litres and multiply it by 61. :)
3.5=213.5
3.3=201.3
5.2=317.2
etc Matt 97 3.5 ES

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input, guys.
But do any of you know anything about that 3.8 liter enigne? Where is it used, and in what? And most importantly, would one be able to fit in an Intrepid??? :) :) :)
"There's no replacement for displacement."

·
Registered
220 Posts
The 3.8 was used in the minivans.I dont think it ever was used in any Chrysler car.

I could be wrong, but I think the 3.8 was a variant of the 3.3...

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
The idea of using cubic inches to describe engine sizes was and is purley an American notion.

The scientific/mechanical world uses the metric system, as do 99.9% of the world's industrialized nations. In Europe (and Australia) the metric system has always been used when describing vehicles. It is even used to describe power output, kilowatts instead of horsepower and nanometres instead of ft/lbs.

Believe it or not, as long as there have been cars in this country they were also known by thier litre displacement. CI just became common place because of the imperial system of measurment.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The 3.8l optionwas mainly used in minivans, but I think it was also an option in mid 90's New Yorkers, and the streched version the Imperial. I had briefly thought about putting one in my Trep if I get the chance and somehow get a couple of bucks stashed away. SHEEEA RIGHT, AS IF! Wife,2Kids,& impending move ain't no way!
Wildcat is right, it is a bored and stroked version of the 3.3l

[ August 13, 2001: Message edited by: 95 CanTrep ]

·
Registered
209 Posts
LHSer,

That would be NewtonMetres instead of ft/lbs

A nanometre is a very small measurement. Kinda like thousandths of an inch but even smaller.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, a 3.8 liter would sure be nice, but the 3.5 is already so snug that it wouldn't be an easy switch. Thanks agian for the input everyone.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
i'd like to get my hands on a wrecked r/t and get the 3.5 out of it and drop it in my 97. that'd be one tough frickin squeeze job.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
LHSer, you are most certinly the crack head :) I didnt reply to any messages on this thread accept for now, NCBrit is not me :) SI is me... S.... I.... SI :)

Yeah I`ll make ya a logo, what ya lookin for? i.e design..

·
Registered
25 Posts
Any thought to having the engine bored or stroked? I don't know if they make new pistons or cranks to fit but you new know. Also, anyone try shaving the heads to up the compression ration?

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
Hey, it was almost midnight, and I was dead tired. :) (Or maybe it's cause I'm a moron, who really knows?)

I used to be good at logo design and stuff in high school, but I let my skills slip. I love the speedo in the background of yours, and the font selections. I dunno, whip a couple up, you seem to have great ideas. If I hade Illustrator or Photoshop or something similar, I'd do it myself. I used to but now I am in the process or re-doing my computer and it is bare ass right now. Basically just Win ME and IE 5.5.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Originally posted by azsweepay:
Any thought to having the engine bored or stroked? I don't know if they make new pistons or cranks to fit but you new know. Also, anyone try shaving the heads to up the compression ration?
Havent heard anyone going to that length azsweepay.... if you manage to find someone or more details on it please let us know..

Thanks

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Originally posted by LHSer:
Hey, it was almost midnight, and I was dead tired. :) (Or maybe it's cause I'm a moron, who really knows?)

I`ll whip one up for ya and see what ya think.... ya not a moron, just a tired crack fiend :)

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
More like a corn dog fiend. I just ate four of them. Who the hell made those things so tasty? Convienient too! Food on a stick...I love it.

Shave the heads? Yeah, like the 10.0:1 the 1st gen 3.5Ls don't already suck enough gas.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts