DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard from a few guys that the 300m engine has similar mounting points on the engine as the 93 3.5. I am thinking about swapping in either the 300m or the special edition along with the tranny. The width is the same on both cars also I believe.
Do you guys have a for sure on the mounting locations being similar on the 300m engine and the 3.5 tsi?
Thanks
-Matt

·
Registered
130 Posts
I wish i had that kind of $$$, good luck.

oh yeah, welcome to the site, nice to see another vision around here.

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
I personally don't think the swap is worth it. The transmission is the same, EXACTLY the same, so don't think you're making a difference here except that it is newer.

·
Registered
652 Posts
i would have to agree with axel on this 1, but unlike him, i will say, WELCOME TO THE BOARDS!:D

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
Agreed. To me, it wouldn't be worth the money to swap out an older 3.5 for the 300M 3.5, assuming your 3.5 is still in working order.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The reason why I'm thinkin of doing so is because of the power is a bit higher, the tranny is the same but it has the electric shift ( I forget what its called) I have already blown the rod bearing outa my first engine. So I'm on the second engine here. My dad and I are thinkin of getting some engine work done by a local shop called HO Performance, They handle boring, custom pistons, etc. It shouldn't be to much money I figure. Find a nice 300m, drive a rusted out car without high end insurence. Then go really fast and rear end the car. lol righting it off I will get out and say.... "can I have the engine?" haha, doesn't work like that I guess. I'm sure I can find a new engine and tranny at a local engine shop.
any more input?
-Matt

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What kind of problems??? I think its pretty straight forward... Using the 300m engine and Factory ECU and the 300m tranny bolted on, So what kind of problems?
-Matt

·
Registered
8,099 Posts
9vision3_tsi said:
The reason why I'm thinkin of doing so is because of the power is a bit higher, the tranny is the same but it has the electric shift ( I forget what its called)
Your tranny and the 300m tranny are both exactly the same (42LE). The "electronic shifting" also known as autostick, can also be added to your current tranny. There has been at least 1 person on these boards to has added the autostick to their car.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Having the Vision from day 1, My dad and I now know that The tranny for some reason doesn't hold up as well as the newer ones. We have our 2nd tranny in there. I dont know why but we have had not much luck. Same with the engine as I have previously posted. With putting the new engine and tranny in I think I should be able to run the car a bit harder and know that the engine wont go, along with the tranny goin in 60,000k
-Matt

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Intrepid99 said:

if you want autostick, you're gonna need the TCM for sure, too
I would want TCM forsure anyways, but jus curious. Whats wrong with not having the TCM???
-Matt

·
Registered
8,099 Posts
9vision3_tsi said:
Having the Vision from day 1, My dad and I now know that The tranny for some reason doesn't hold up as well as the newer ones. We have our 2nd tranny in there. I dont know why but we have had not much luck. Same with the engine as I have previously posted. With putting the new engine and tranny in I think I should be able to run the car a bit harder and know that the engine wont go, along with the tranny goin in 60,000k
-Matt
As stated above, the tranny's are exactly the same. Unfortunately, the newer ones don't hold up any better than the one you have. It's a common problem us LH owners have to realize and deal with.

Don't expect to put in a 300m tranny and ride it harder and not have any problems.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Intrepid99 said:
Don't expect to put in a 300m tranny and ride it harder and not have any problems.
Shiat, That kinda blows. What are the 300m trannies known to go at??
-Matt

·
Registered
581 Posts
I heard of one guy who swapped in a second gen engine. I'm confirming this though. BTW a 300m tranny will handle 300hp or so.

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
I know the tranny codes are the same, but seems to me like us 2nd gen'ers aren't having the kind of problems them first gen'ers do.

Plus, I hate referring back to my Eclipse (but do so cause that's what I know best), but the engine codes were the same on the first and second gen turbo eclipse engines, but there were definite differences in the internals and the compression ratio between the two. So maybe us 2nd gen'ers have different internals in our trannies that make them more reliable. Seems to me that our trannies get better ratings from consumer groups as well (versus the 1st gen).

·
Dain bramaged
7,214 Posts
also there might be problems with the 300m ecu not gettin the right codes and info from the bcm.. problems++

1 - 18 of 18 Posts