DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm sorry to make the first post on the forum a sad one as my 2.7l engine in the 2004 intrepid just died. Rather then selling the car for parts, I'm thinking of putting a new engine in it. Since I live in Europe you very rarely get a desired Chrysler 3.5 that I want so I was thinking of putting something else in it, like a german engine, something from a Mercedes or a BMW. Any thoughts whether this is possible at all and will work? :angrymob:

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
There hasn't really been too many crazy engine swaps, just more so because of the hassle of it all. Getting all the electrical interfaces to work properly with the new engine would be an electrical nightmare in my opinion. Sure it can be done, but how long do you want to sit around wiring up the sucker and also the fact that anything you put in there most likely needs custom engine mounts etc etc to make the front wheels spin and if you go RWD you are in for a hassle unlike none other. You'd need a diff which means taking your gas tank and routing it somewhere else as well as finding a new place for you exhaust to route through while going through all the electrical components. Just a hassle for whatever benefits you might get. I always thought an LS1 swap would be the ultimate sleeper, but that probably won't happen.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is the situation so far, I got the car for 2500$, the very day I bought it, there was an oil sludge(water pump) and it cost me 800$ to repair the engine, when the mechanic took a look at it, he said that the engine was in a very bad shape and tampered with. After that I've spent around 1500$, most of which was towing it around as where I live, mechanics are pretty bad, especially with a rare car like this. I remember for 2 weeks the car wouldn't start, and it took me around 4 trips to 4 different garages until someone finally figured out the cable that goes in the PCM was disconnected, connected it and the car started immediately. So in all honesty I've spent around 5000$ on the car. When finally, yesterday three months after the original engine rebuild the check oil light started to flicker, finally came on solid, and the engine started to make knocking noises again and wouldn't rev above 2000. So you can see my disappointment when after spending all of this much time and effort into fixing it, it just gave out on me like that and when I asked the mechanic he said that the engine was damaged beyond repair. I bought the car initially for my love of American cars in general but man oh man am I disappointed right now. The only options I have right now is to wait for a 3.2 or a 3.5 engine to show up eventually, put something else in there, or sell it for scrap for 800$.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Guys I just found a 1997 3.5 engine, will it fit a 2004 model?
Not without major modifications. Just not worth it. At very least, stick within the 2002-2004 range. If you don't mind some minor conversion work, a 1999-2001 3.5/3.2 will work as well.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not without major modifications. Just not worth it. At very least, stick within the 2002-2004 range. If you don't mind some minor conversion work, a 1999-2001 3.5/3.2 will work as well.
Thanks for the reply, if any new engine comes up for sale, I'll post it and ask for your opinion again.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Block and heads will work... You'll need the intake, valve covers, wiring harness and timing belt housing to convert it to a LH variant. There is also the question if they changed the flywheel or cam gears any, which I doubt.

Ironically, I'm actually in the mind process of either dropping in a 2001 electrical system or the LX (charger/magnum/300c) electronic system... Choices choices...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Block and heads will work... You'll need the intake, valve covers, wiring harness and timing belt housing to convert it to a LH variant. There is also the question if they changed the flywheel or cam gears any, which I doubt.

Ironically, I'm actually in the mind process of either dropping in a 2001 electrical system or the LX (charger/magnum/300c) electronic system... Choices choices...
Thanks for the reply, I found two 3.5 compatible engines from a 300m, one guy that was selling it gave me a price of 1300$, at which I laughed in his face )), the other said he'd do the swap himself and give me a year warranty for 900$. I've spent so much already on the car, man it's bleeding me dry. I hope if I do get the engine nothing else goes wrong with it or I'll murder someone. Also does this video look legit to you guys? youtube.com/watch?v=HcLVvhWlBvQ; I mean if that's how the 3.5 accelerates I'll be extremely happy still.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Yup, that is how they accelerate...

Wait until you put 2.7/300M Special transmission final drive gears on it (ratio escapes me atm..). Going from a 2.7 motor to that and the first time you hit the gas... Priceless difference. I had my seat unbolted at the time when I took it for it's first test drive. I ended up in the back seat the moment I poked the throttle.

Can only imagine how those 2000HP dragsters feel.... lol

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Wait until you put 2.7/300M Special transmission final drive gears on it (ratio escapes me atm..). Going from a 2.7 motor to that and the first time you hit the gas... Priceless difference. I had my seat unbolted at the time when I took it for it's first test drive. I ended up in the back seat the moment I poked the throttle.

That is awesome. Realistically though if I didn't love American cars this and bought something German like an old bmw m3 or Mercedes C Class, and put this much money in it, I'd get a lot more HP, well mainly because parts of those cars are lying around everywhere here. I'll probably own the most expensive Intrepid in Europe costing me around 6K if I do buy the new engine, since I already put around 4800$ in the car.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Here it's the opposite, you'd be lucky to get a BMW keychain for $4800...

An old highschool buddy bought a BMW 328ci here recently for $10K.. He's got 190BHP.. I'll stick with my 255BHP Dodge, I don't care if only 190HP is at the wheels!

I see a few five cylinder turbo Audi's at the yard every now and then with tore up front bumpers. THAT would be an excellent project car if I could afford it.

Although, if you offered me an M3 or a new M5 V10 or TTV8... I'd not be upset!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here it's the opposite, you'd be lucky to get a BMW keychain for $4800...

An old highschool buddy bought a BMW 328ci here recently for $10K.. He's got 190BHP.. I'll stick with my 255BHP Dodge, I don't care if only 190HP is at the wheels!

I see a few five cylinder turbo Audi's at the yard every now and then with tore up front bumpers. THAT would be an excellent project car if I could afford it.

Although, if you offered me an M3 or a new M5 V10 or TTV8... I'd not be upset!
That's true German cars are expensive over in the States, but they're cheap as **** here in Georgia.

·
Registered
57 Posts
It is the opposite here, not many people can afford to keep older Audi, BMW, Mercedes, or Land Rovers on the road. You can buy them cheap but that's about it, most get sold over and over again till they get junked.

Unfortunately for you, you got the right car but the wrong engine, a 3.2 or 3.5 from the start would have been great, and you would have saved money and gained great power. The 3.5 is a good powerful engine, but as with anything you will get used to its power and think it could always use more.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

So you're saying I should put 300m transmission in it? How much do you think that would cost?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Man oh man am I mad. I bought a 3.5 300m engine for my trep about5 weeks ago, and ever since then the idiots are trying to make it work. The electric first said when he accembled it that there was a camshaft sensor problem, as the car took more then 5 seconds to start and didn't rev about 2000, after he replaced that he said it was camshaft, after he replaced that he said the entire pcm needed to be changed, after that he said .... well you get the point. I'm mad as ****. Could any of you tell me how much a used pcm costs over in the states so I can ask one of my friends to buy and and send it here (Georgia,Europe).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts