DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Are all Mopar radios incompatible with cd-r's? I'm not sure exactly which model my one is but it's from a 99 Trep and has no tape deck and has the cd changer controls. I'd rather swap it out with another factory radio than an aftermarket headunit, but I'd like to be able to play burned cd's. Thanks.

Edit:
I forgot to mention that I read the other threads regarding specific cd brands and programs, and I'm using Memorex cd's (supposedly compatible) with Nero (supposedly compatible).

·
Woober Goobers!
51,854 Posts
There are some stock HUs that will play burned copies of CDs. Not MP3 but an actual copy of a CD on CD-R. Let me look into this a little. I'm pretty sure my 6 disc changer will do it and maybe even some the 4 disc ones. I do know the HU I had in my 2000 SE would play burned copies of CDs. It was a later year stock HU that I upgraded. I remember it being one with a 3 band equalizer AM/FM/Tape/Single CD. I don't have the Alpha code off the top of my head..RBB..RBQ..RBK. Give me a day or two to research it. I also have a few RBB radios I can throw in my car and check.

Reactions: hinzy

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
If memory serves me correct, i remember some posts about this being a known problem, and i think it was address in post 2000 models.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
yes i have that problem but i found out it was a dirty lense. disk read error 3 or something.happen to new cds never coppied also coppied cds. so one day when it read error to manys times i introduced my fist to it and broke it. lol funny thing i hit it soo hard it went am radio and i couldnt get it back on fm so i replaced it,.\\

so try getting a cd cleaner and going from there

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
I never had any problems with cdr's in my stock 2-band equalizer radio, or the 6-disc changer, or the RB1.

Reactions: hinzy

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Same here, even my old casette/cd player played burned cd's with no problems, then my other 4 cd changer integrated headunit had no problems with them either . Now I have a 4 cd changer external connected to a RB1 and it's doing fine. None of the stock head units play Mp3's though.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Damn, I don't know why mine won't work. Ronbo could you let me know when you find out? Thanks, I know I'll have to replace the HU but I'd like to keep the factory one so I could get the cd changer after. Thanks a lot you guys.

·
Woober Goobers!
51,854 Posts
Sorry Brown, I took a look at the two RBB HUs and they're AM/FM/Cass with changer controls. They don't have CD players in them. I have a 4 disc CD changer and cable for a 1998-01. The changer is the same for all years..it's the cable that's different for model years. The one I had that played burned CDs had a 3 band EQ/Tape and the CD slot on top of everything. Put up a WTB thread and see if someone has a HU with CD. Also specify the year of your car...important.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey Ronbo, Thanks a lot, I'll make sure to do that tonight, I'm going to a buddy's house and he has a Trep parts car, I'll just check that out first, it's the same year as mine though so I doubt it'll have it. Thanks a lot.

·
Woober Goobers!
51,854 Posts
Ebay HU Here's a link to the same type HU that played CD-R as I had in my 2000 SE. Look for some others ones that look exactly like that and you should have no problems. Sorry I didn't have one.

Reactions: Brownsound

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey Ronbo, no need for apologies man, way above and beyond I gotta tell ya. Thanks a lot for your efforts, I appreciate it. I think it might be better for me to make a yard run first before posting? Just because a lot of the guys are located in the states so shipping is a *****. But yeah I'll let you know. Again, thanks a lot there ronbo.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
This issue is widespread and there IS a workaround.

On these subborn CD players, what you have to do is use a good quality CD-R. CD-RW will probably NOT work on these regardless of brand. The disk MUST be burned as a CD audio disc (no mp3 or other computer formats) and it should be single session and finalized. Almost all media players will automatically make a single session, finalized disc.

Memorex discs work well in these old dogs.

Hope that helps, my old Caravan was really picky, single session, finalized with Memorex discs or nothing!

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
I used Memorex and TDK for the most part........no problems. I could also play Memorex CD-RW's......they'd work too.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I dunno, mine's a stock deck from the base '99 model. I used memorex cd's which (I think) are pretty good, as far as brands go. I remember it used to work when I used windows media player (9, I think) but I just tried burning one with 10 and it didn't work, neither did nero. Is it cheaper to buy a factory deck or a cheapo hundred dollar headunit?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have the same problem with my 98 trep I just bought. It doesn't have a CD changer or cassette, it's just a CD player.

Retail CDs work in it, but I cant get any burnt CDs to play in it. I've tried different media, (brand name, even the ones that are supposedly made for burning audio CDs) I'm sure they are all just standard MP3 format....

Let me know if you find anything out! Much appreciated!

Ryan

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
It's up to you, the Pioneer Premier decks are awesome as ar the Panasonic and the Kenwood Excellon line.

The stock deck sound quality varies from OK to excellent. Sound quality has improved over the years and the most recent radios produce VERY nice sound.

I got an RBQ form a 2005 Town & Country minivan and it is a nice upgrade from my RBK radio sound quality wise. It's a good bit cleaner and compares well to most aftermarket decks.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.