DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, today I went to get some gas, and I found this cheap place (about $3.09/gal). I went to the cashier, paid $20 and started pumping. I look down and notice a sign that says that their gas contains 10% ethanol. Start the car up, runs fine..no problems..only..now the gas guage seems to jump from the current tank position, to empty, and back..and does this as I'm driving.

Again, the car runs the same, just the gas gauage having seizures. Is there something wrong with the gas? Did it **** up the float, or does the ethanol make the flot sink or something? It's really annoying...I just hope it goes away when all that crap gas is burned out.

Anyone ecver hear of this before?

Thanks!

·
Registered
186 Posts
If it din't do it before you filled up with that gas then it probably was bad gas from that station, try using a higher quality pump next time to see if the problem would go away.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Floydiandroid said:
Well, today I went to get some gas, and I found this cheap place (about $3.09/gal). I went to the cashier, paid $20 and started pumping. I look down and notice a sign that says that their gas contains 10% ethanol. Start the car up, runs fine..no problems..only..now the gas guage seems to jump from the current tank position, to empty, and back..and does this as I'm driving.

Again, the car runs the same, just the gas gauage having seizures. Is there something wrong with the gas? Did it **** up the float, or does the ethanol make the flot sink or something? It's really annoying...I just hope it goes away when all that crap gas is burned out.

Anyone ecver hear of this before?

Thanks!
I don't know about PA. but here in Wis. for at least 7 yrs all pumps say contains up to 10% ethanol. I thought it was that way in all larger cities in th U.S. I have not had any gauge problems with either of my Treps. Your trouble is probably a wiring problem.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If it's a wiring problem, know anyway I can check it out without taking the whole dash apart?

·
Banned
338 Posts
yeah, pull the carpet up in the trunk and remove the pump/ sending unit assembly from the gas tank. that is probably the issue.

At least you dont have to drop the gas tank to replace the sending unit or fuel pump.

AJ

·
Registered
19 Posts
Up here in Minnesota we have had 10% ethanol for as long as I can remember, I always use it in my car. Sometimes I use E85 in my Trep as well, which the car feels brand new when I use that!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I would like to try e85 in mine...but there's no where near philly that offers it;)

Is the 94 trep 3.3 flex capable, and how well does it run on it?

Correction: THeres one place within 25 miles of me in NJ.

·
Dain bramaged
7,213 Posts
Mattie said:
Up here in Minnesota we have had 10% ethanol for as long as I can remember, I always use it in my car. Sometimes I use E85 in my Trep as well, which the car feels brand new when I use that!
i hope to hell you have a flex fuel car.. if not using e85 will rot your pump, fuel lines, injectors, fuel rails..

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
There were Flex Fuel Intrepids in 1994 (maybe 1993 too?) that were designed to run on E85. They were 3.3 V6's with nickle plated injectors, special fuel junk and stuff. The Dodge Spirit also came with an FFV option from 93-94 with the 2.5 4cyl, and the Dodge Caravan also had the FFV option with the 3.3 V6.

·
Dain bramaged
7,213 Posts
Matt86 said:
There were Flex Fuel Intrepids in 1994 (maybe 1993 too?) that were designed to run on E85. They were 3.3 V6's with nickle plated injectors, special fuel junk and stuff. The Dodge Spirit also came with an FFV option from 93-94 with the 2.5 4cyl, and the Dodge Caravan also had the FFV option with the 3.3 V6.
Yeah, I know there were, I'm just sayin that i hope his was one of them

my 98 caravan is.. but no one sells e85 around here..

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
got it in Jersey at Hess stations; funny I just posted about sea foam because my engine light came on, dont think it would be from this though?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I didn't say I put e85 in, I said I'd like to see how it runs on it (if it's flex capable). I'll have to look into that.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I've been running E10 in my 94 trep for years. Nebraska has had it forever.

It could be possible that if your car never had it in it it might cause the gauge problem. The ethonal tends to clean off form crud that builds up on parts.

I would not tear your dash apart first. I would check what your getting from the fuel sender in the tank first before you mess up your dash.

You can access the plug in the trunk thru the access cover.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Floydiandroid said:
I didn't say I put e85 in, I said I'd like to see how it runs on it (if it's flex capable). I'll have to look into that.
no, I meant the Hess stations have it posted that it contains 10%

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Yeah up to 10% Ethanol blend is pretty common. I think they use it more during winter? Not totally sure, but it depends on the area of the country. 10% shouldn't hurt anything other than fuel economy. Ethanol has less energy than gasoline, so blends will get you less MPG than straight up gasoline, which is getting pretty rare to find. I'm not totally sure why they using an 10% blend in some areas, during some seasons, the reason is escaping me at the moment. But 10% ethanol shouldn't hurt any car. More than that, and there might be problems as ethanol is more corrosive than gasoline.

Back on the ethanol less energy thing, I've read where flex fuel cars running E85, which they are designed to do, get much lower MPG of E85 than on regular 87 octane gas.

·
Registered
660 Posts
You do know that the 10% is being used to replace the MTBE that is used to boost the oxygen level of fuel. MTBE was found to be highly polluting to water etc.
So you will find it more and more.

Nebraska and Iowa have E plants going up all over the place. E accounts for about 1.5% of the fuel used in the US now and will increase. Should not affect standard fuel cars at all unless they had an existing poblem already.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Floydiandroid said:
I would like to try e85 in mine...but there's no where near philly that offers it;)

Is the 94 trep 3.3 flex capable, and how well does it run on it?

Correction: THeres one place within 25 miles of me in NJ.
Look at your VIN eighth digit. If it's a "T" then you have a non-flex fuel 3.3. If it's a "U" then it is a flex-fuel 3.3. The flex-fuel 3.3 can run on concentrations of up to 85% Methanol /15% gasoline.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts