DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like for the 2 outer 3157 bulbs to be used for parking lights only, and the 2 inner 3157 bulbs to be used for brake lights only, much like the European cars. I figure it would give the back of the car a wider, bad-ass look at night. Is there any easy way to do this? Sorry, but I'm an idiot when it comes to electrical. :explosion :eek: :heh_heh:

·
Registered
715 Posts
Sorry Bus, but i dont know electrical, and i hate messing with it. If i cant see it, i have a hard time understanding it.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I know what he means. Must be a telepathic blue intrepid thing :). I think he means that instead of having both red lights dimmed when driving, and bright while braking, he wants the outer light to always be bright when driving and the inside light to be completely off until the brake pedal is pressed. I think i'm close on this one but could be wrong. I toyed with some tail light ideas and wouldn't mind helping you toss around a few wiring ideas. I'll think about it and get back to you.

Josiah

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
JLWX5 said:
I know what he means. Must be a telepathic blue intrepid thing :). I think he means that instead of having both red lights dimmed when driving, and bright while braking, he wants the outer light to always be bright when driving and the inside light to be completely off until the brake pedal is pressed. I think i'm close on this one but could be wrong. I toyed with some tail light ideas and wouldn't mind helping you toss around a few wiring ideas. I'll think about it and get back to you.

Josiah
You got it Josiah! inner ones only for braking, and just the outer ones when you turn the lights on. Probably a major PITA to get it to work that way! Or a much simpler thing to do if that doesn't work is just yank the inner bulbs and use only the outers for both parking and braking. By law, you only need one pair right!

·
Registered
709 Posts
It's simple as cutting a wire on each bulb holder, on the outer bulbs you'd need to cut the positive lead for the brake light and for the inner bulbs you'd need to cut the lead for the running light and then put electrical tape or wire terminators on the cut leads to keep them from shorting to the body.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks S/S! So it will really work properly by doing that? That is great news to hear. Could anybody tell me what color or which wire it is that I need to hack up before I make a mess out of it? Like I said I'm horrible at this stuff, I mean I'm surprised my system even worked after I installed it.

·
Registered
165 Posts
it sounds like it could look good, i cant really picture how it is going to look in my mind, i would like to see some pictures first...and the nice thing about cutting the wires is that if u dotn like it u can just reconnect them

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
There is NO bulb connector modification required.
This can be accomplised entirely by bulb based mods.

I took the opposite approach (fill in the hole)
I left the side marker 168 bulb in place, the inner bulb is my tail light (low filament of 3157 only, moved connector to the side) and between the two I have a 3457, both filaments as brake lights.

But if you wanted to the inner most bulb can be your brake lights (very BMW E36 3 series like)

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
MikeW said:
There is NO bulb connector modification required.
This can be accomplised entirely by bulb based mods.

I took the opposite approach (fill in the hole)
I left the side marker 168 bulb in place, the inner bulb is my tail light (low filament of 3157 only, moved connector to the side) and between the two I have a 3457, both filaments as brake lights.

But if you wanted to the inner most bulb can be your brake lights (very BMW E36 3 series like)
Thanks Mike, that's better news yet then. Are these particular 3157's and 3457's easy to find in the auto parts store?

·
Registered
709 Posts
lol Yea I thought of the pin mod later on..... and I can have pic up of this in a bit if I get off my azzz.

The 3457's are a brighter bulb and I think they're only available thru online vendors, I personaly have never seen um but I know they exsist.

On how it would look it's pretty simple, imagine you've got damaged bulbs or if you really wanna get a good look, pull bulbs out.......

On a side note, I find it funny when I think I'll get rep I tend to get non but if I just make simple comments as usual I'll get rep...... I find it odd how it works.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Okay I got pics..........
First is a borrowed pic from www.Autolumination.com:

This shows the pin outs and the grounds that are oposite the positive inputs are dirrectly linked to that feed, so if you cover/cut one pin spin the bulb 180* and cover/cut the pin in the same place (so you'd cover/cut the left and then left again...)
Second; pic of bulbs being cover in electrical tape(this means you can reverse the mod with out issues), Brake bulb is on the left, Running bulb is on the right:

(excuse the crappy pic, it's all I could do with da camera phone)
Third; a demo pic of the idea in question Brake lights only:

Fourth; Brake and Running lights:

And Fifth; Running only:

Another option for the Brake only bulb is to get 3156 bulbs, these are Bright/High filiments only......

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sweet deal, thanks again! That's exactly what I was talking about. I just picked up some 3156's, some 3457's and a play set of 3157's... going to work on it later tonight hopefully.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Figures, the Sylvania 3156's and 3457's won't fit due to a wider tab on both sides. I'll have to get the dremel out tomorrow and take care of that snag, and see if I can bypass the bright half of the 3157's.

·
Registered
709 Posts
You can just cut the pins off a regular 3157 bulb.

When I was at wal-mart I saw the 3457 bulbs and if you look at the projected life on the back the bright filiments life was 800 hours vs the 2000 of the regular 3157...... just food for thought.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I tried the single filament bulbs and the lateral alignment (plastic) lug is wider than the dual filament bulbs and will not work without dremmeling.

But why bother, a two pack of 3457LL is something like $5 at pepboys.
Unless sylvania changed something withing the last year, the 3457 should fit. I have about 4 dead bulbs (non LL 3457) that worked just fine.

http://www.sylvania.com/cgi-bin/MsmGo.exe?grab_id=72&EXTRA_ARG=FILTERNAME=%40URL&FILTERVALUE=www%2Esylvania%2Ecom&host_id=42&page_id=6096384&query=3457&hiword=3457A+3457K+3457+

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/lights/signal_bulbs/signal_bulbs.html

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I picked up the 3457LL's and they actually have the thick tabs too! Getting the dremel out right now to take care of biz...

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
This mod is successfully complete. Extremely happy with the new look. Ended up keeping the 3157's, but pulled, snipped & dremeled down the outer contacts for the inner bulbs and the inner contacts for the outer bulbs. Now that I know what I know, this could have very easily been a quick, painless, zero dollar modification.

Looks 10X better at night though, and I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a 5-minute no-cost mod that makes a big difference. Thanks for all that helped out with this along the way. ;)

Also drilled a couple drain holes in the reflector bar (w/o un-installing it) and drained about a 1/2 gallon of water out of it. :D

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
got pics bus???

i'm curious how it looks...
sounds like a cool mod that might not cost me an arm and a leg...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts