DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to warn everyone that this after noon I saw a white BMW SUV Iowa State Patrol vehicle!!!
I know that there are some strange police cars out there, but usually they are domestic.
I remember hearing about a WRX police, Camaros, Mustangs, Impalas, some vans, and of course the Crown Vics.

Has anyone else seen or heard of the BMWs?!?!

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
X5? Glad to know they're spending $50,000 of tax to buy themselves a luxry Ute. Perhaps cops should start using Murceilagos, using the excuse of catching the occasional speeding Corvette to enjoy some fine Italian supercar while on their job?

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you said there are hummer cops? h2s or no?
and a dump truck, and you saw that truck pull over someone?!?!

·
Banned
2,254 Posts
i saw the illinois state police usinging a newer suburban the other night. Freaked me out because i was about to pass him when he turned the lights on and pulled somebody else over...

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
Can you imagine the fights over who gets to drive that one.

Hummers (at least H1s) are used because they are beasts. If you need a heavy duty vehicle then that is the way to go. Most places just have no need for them though.

The bmw could have been grabbed on a drug bust. We have a totally riced out carolla here thats been a cop car for years from a drug bust. They made it the DARE police car. "Look what you'll do to your car if you're on drugs."

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You also have to remember that in other countries, where our foreign cars are made, they are cheaper. Heck in Germany they have Mercedes garbage trucks - also if you get a Mercedes or BMW leather, power windows, etc are options, not standard.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Cars in the States are cheap, comparatively. In Europe, taxes and registration fees are outragous compared to here. So a car may be cheaper "from the factory" but by the time it reaches the consumer it'll cost more than it does here in many cases.

An example. The Mercedes C230 starts at 32,248 Euro in Germany or 43,024 US Dollars, whereas the same car here starts at around 30,000 US Dollars I believe. Big difference.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Cleveland had a Corvette at one time. I believe that it was a part of a drug bust. It was used for high speed pursuits. It was in my rear view mirror one day as I was getting on an onramp downtown. Scared the crap out of me, because it just suddenly appeared and whipped around me after we got on the highway. I haven't seen it for a few years now, so they might have gotten rid of it.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Yes they do. I saw it on world news last month. They park it on the side of the road where they have alot of speeders. Like the ones that go over 100mph. They said the reg cop cars can't catch the top end sports cars like BMW's, Lambo's ect....

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
SPOOK R/T said:
Yes they do. I saw it on world news last month. They park it on the side of the road where they have alot of speeders. Like the ones that go over 100mph. They said the reg cop cars can't catch the top end sports cars like BMW's, Lambo's ect....
It must have changed then.

When Lamborghini gave that car to the Italian police it was intended for publicity use only. At that time, the police used BMW M3's and Alfa Romeo GTV's for interceptor use. The police themselves said they would not use the Lamborghini for the simple fact that the maintenance would be too expensive.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Aren't the BMW SUVs for North America built in Raleigh these days? Much like the Mercedes M class that is built in Alabama.....

·
Registered
61 Posts
To RJ---A couple of years ago I saw a top of the line Audi all wheel drive in Whalley, fully dressed out in RCMP colors----I think it was used on the road to Whistler

·
Registered
689 Posts
King Winky said:
It must have changed then.

When Lamborghini gave that car to the Italian police it was intended for publicity use only. At that time, the police used BMW M3's and Alfa Romeo GTV's for interceptor use. The police themselves said they would not use the Lamborghini for the simple fact that the maintenance would be too expensive.
Didn't they also say that they planned on using it for medical purposes on occation (i.e. transporting organs for surgery). I could swear I remember that.

I know the Windsor police have an undercover F150, and some marked Expeditions, along with the Intrepids, and typical Crown Vics. The local police back home had a bunch of Cherokees for a while, although I think they were eventually sold to emergency services when the police realized that they were useless for what they needed.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
The Macomb County Sheriff has a number of Explorers. But, that makes sense since it snows here and there are a number of country and dirt roads in the northern part of the county.

Troy city police have a couple of Camaros, but one is all decked out with chrome wheels and ****. You can only tell it's a cop car when you see the light bar in the rear window, but by than it's too late. When parked in a parking lot looking for speeders or what not, that car looks right at home.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I was in the mountains driving when I saw a 04 silverado Z71 it had a small red and blue light in the front grill that couldn't even be seen unless they were on. They have a bunch of camaro state trooper cars here in colorado

1 - 20 of 31 Posts