DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so yesterday I went to a local exahust shop to ask if they could bend me some 3" tubing for my intake... turns out that that pipe is waay to hard to work with, would be to expensive to do..

Ok, well we then got talking about the exahust... I told him my idea of taking out the resonator and muffler, and putting a single in, dual out muffler where the original one was [sideways in the middle]
He told me that he couldnt really do that, because he couldnt see how to route the 2nd pipe. we talked a little more and he came up with this idea:
keep the resonator [turbo style muffler on end] and replace the muffler [in the middle] with a glass pack. 1 - this is CA smog legal 2 - this only costs about $90 3 - he claims it will give me 7-12 horse and 2-3 mpg... take away the BS factor, and its prob 4-6 horse, and 1-2mpg... but still... for $90!
I think i will do this... it will give it a very cool sound, hopefully scaled down version of a muscle car... also it keeps the stock look [the resonator stays] so sleeper status is kept!!

Ok guys.. opinions? should I? stupid idea?
It sounds like a pretty cool deal if you ask me. for $90 how can i go wrong?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Hey my friend, I need to clarify something. That resonator that we all have ( I used to have ), if you leave it on, you may run even w/o a muffler at the end, the car will sound quite ( stock ) Believe it or not!!! Granted, I am running a Flowmaster w/o the resonator and it is really load, but if you put the long glasspack where the resonator would be located, it will sound not to load and will have a very good tone to it. But the problem is if my future set-up is Smog legal CA. My opinion, ask your guy about this set-up first, the one I stated to you?? :D Let us know what he says about it??

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
that sounds like a great price for an aftermarket type setup. im not sure how well a glasspack sounds on a V6, ive never heard one. if it sounds cool, id say go for it, especially for that price. :)

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Originally posted by babyalex27:
but if you put the long glasspack where the resonator would be located, it will sound not to load and will have a very good tone to it.
if you want more tone, go with a short glasspack

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hey, babyalex [wwwhhhaaaaaaazzzzuuuuuuppp]
Plese dont take this the wrong way... how do you know that If you leave the resonator on and take out the muffler it sounds [almost] stock? I thought that is exactly what rarewolf did [althought straight-piped, no glass pack]. Did you have this set up at one point? Or a friend? plz clarify, and im not trying to be mean or call u a lier, really... ;)

·
Registered
560 Posts
problem with glasspacks is that the fiberglass gets blown out the exhaust with use. its a disposable muffler, oyou may see yourself replacing it in the not-so-distant future.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Originally posted by Valhalla 21340:
problem with glasspacks is that the fiberglass gets blown out the exhaust with use. its a disposable muffler, oyou may see yourself replacing it in the not-so-distant future.
Very true...my friend put a pair of Thresher glasspacks on his '77 Camaro and it sounded like straights a week later (keep in mind a 350 has a little more "stank" to it then a 3.5) :)

·
Registered
890 Posts
Hey 97 pruple intrepid. From what it sounds like the place where you want to get youre exhaust done is giving you straight up bullshit.

First off all i got my intake done at my exhaust shop. they bent it out of 3 inch tubing. they just dont want to do it they seem like lazy ass people that dont want to help out. and second of all those glasspacks are POS. Go with flow master, Magna Flow, or borla.

Dont stick to one exhaust shop look around and stuff before you make a final descion.
Because it can be done.
For the intake i think it took like 30 dollars and thats it :eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Thats a good idea for the intake...have a muffler shop bend the pipe. i never thought about that. what else do you need besides the "custom" pipe? the cone filter and 2 clamps should do it shouldnt it?

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
97purple_trep: If you want to go with a glasspack type setup, you should give Supertrapp a look. It's just like a glasspack, but it's stainless and sits at the end of your exhaust, acts as a tip as well. The benefits of this are: (1)stainless, never rusts.(2)interchangeable discs, so you control how loud/quiet it is. this also allows you to adjust your backpressure, which changes top end/low end/somewhere in the middle performance. it takes about 5 minutes max to change out the 6 allen head screws that hold the discs on.(3)the mufflers are a little pricy(around $120 from Summit) but all you have to do is take it in to the exhaust shop and have them bend up a pipe from where you cut the muffler out all the way back. Then you just slip on the Supertrapp and clamp it down. I paid about $40 to have the pipe bent up, then put the muffler on myself.
I have one on my '94 Intrepid with the 3.5L, and we put one on my brother's '98 with the 3.2L. They both sound sweet. I have also installed one on an intrepid for a guy that goes to U of M. He loves the way it sounds. Certainly not expected from the family vehicle.
If you have any other questions, check out www.supertrapp.com or e-mail me at:
[email protected]

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
If i were you i wouldnt just "clamp" stuff on. Have it welded on. ~my 2 cents

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
agreed, if you clamp anything on your exhaust you are just asking for leaks, the only reason to use clams instead of welding is if you plan to take the muffler on and off (such as at the track) but even that is not a good idea since our cars like some backpressure

·
Registered
169 Posts
If you do just use the "resonator" on the back, it will be louder. Don't get me wrong its nothing ricey, but it's not quite Ferrari sounding. The only problem I found was there was some interior resonance from the muffler. The car is louder and sounds like I have a V8 under the hood, but it is a little bit too loud at times. But if you want to turn some heads, do it.

·
Registered
432 Posts
hey 97 Purple, this is what I actually did on my Intrepid.

1. I needed to know what sound would be w/o the resonator.
2. My muffler guy actually took off the whole resonator!
3. With my stock muffler still on, the car sounded the same, STOCK !!!!

With the resonator and the flowmaster, there was a small sound, but still was quite.
You have to know that those 40 series flowmaster are really load, especially on the ricer cars.
So with all of that said, I had to take off the resonator and ofcourse put the flowmaster. Again it is load and throaty but it does sound pretty good.
I was told that if you use a LONG glasspack insted of a SMALL one, it has a deeper tone. Not vise versa. But hey, I was just told that. I don't want to insults fellow members statements

P.S The intake being done at the muffler shop is probally a very good bet!! I will try that myself :D

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ahem.... AGAIN i think we need to clarify [how many times shall we go thourgh this... the members that have been here as long as I have know what I mean]

The Resonator is the component that is at the END of the system / back of the car. The muffler sits in the middle, under the cabin. it sits sideways [inlet on pass. side, outlet on drivers side], and that is where I got the idea for the single in, dual out.

I believe rarewolf [the guy that posted sound clips] took out the muffler, and replaced with straight pipe, and left the resonator. I remember listening to those clips, and they dont sound stock.

I am not assuming that you didnt know this already, however, I dont assume you DO know it either.

I was not looking at doing exahust for a while, but if I can do something descent for as little as $90, im all over it... I was looking for your guys opinions of that setup. also, am I correct on calling bullshit on the guys numbers [this seemed like a good shop, definately not "lazy" like wu said, the guy related to me] is there any gain in hp or economy? thanx

1 - 16 of 16 Posts