DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I ran a search to try and find out what kind of muffler i would need if i wanted some better power/sound and of course found out about the flowmaster 40 and 80 series mufflers. I have been "inspired" by several members who have the 1-in 2-out muffler with 2 tail pipes and tips, with removed resonator(s). I also did a search to try and find what dimensions for the pipes and muffler openings i would need and honestly didn't find much help. I'd love an answer so maybe I could get some stuff for exhaust mods this summer. I'd appreciate any help, and even if you could tell me what you would consider a reasonable price for the muffler and/or piping and where i could get it. I have several muffler shops in town that would probably weld everything together for me, i would probably just need to parts. Also, kinda goes with this, but the [email protected] FIPK for the 3.5 engine will fit my 3.2, correct? Just want to make sure. I can't wait to give this beast more power.

Thanks!!!
Josiah

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Pretty sure you have 2.25" pipes.....so if you buy a muffler with a 2.5" inlet, you're gonna need a 2.25" to 2.5" adapter, and then the muffler shop should be able to custom bend 2.5" pipes from the muffler back to the tips for you. I had mine installed for $100. Had to pay for the muffler, and 2 tips seperately.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot Avenger! So if I get the muffler and the tips, they can put it all together for about 100, is that what you are saying? Anybody ever try to figure out how much horsepower this adds?

Thanks!
Josiah

·
Registered
299 Posts
i got mine done the same way....removed the resonator and muffler put the flow master 40 in the back and i have to 45 cut stainless tips...all that cost me 218 the guy at the muffler shop provided the muffler and tips.Def a much better sound and a bit of power i venture to say 5 hp gain...maybe more....someone smite me if im wrong
heres a video of me doing some sound testing on my 97 3.5 sport after i got it put on.
its quicktime....allow it to load as well
http://media.putfile.com/Exhuast85
(it sounds alot better in person)
only downside is that its loud inside the car...but i love it :)
o plus....i have a short ram intake on it
its the spectre one you can find under the preformance mods post

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I gotta tell you that sounds really really nice, even for a video of it. Thats basically what I would like to go for. Something deep and muscle-y, but not too whiny like ricer exhausts. I think I'll get the 40 and figure out what kind of tips i want and shop around for a installer

Thanks guys.
Josiah

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
I belive I paid $136 for my entire setup, including a Flows 40 Series Original, 3.5" angle rolled tip, pipe, install and tax. Very throaty and I highly recommend it for a low-cost alternative.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Theres my "Blue Brother" again. LOL. I'd love to have dual exhaust but I'm 50/50 as to Sound/Appearance, so i'll decide that later. I'll at least do the FIPK to scavenge a few more HP and at least a tad bit of MPG. Good input, bus, now I've got more ideas.

Josiah

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
The FIPK should net 10-15 horses. Exhaust you may gain a couple. The exhaust is more for sound and looks.

My first exhaust system was a Flowmaster 40 Original. I bought the muffler and tip seperately and took it to a shop to install. The install cost was around $100.

My current exhaust system is a Flo-Pro V-Force single-in/dual-out muffler. With this one I bought all the stuff at the same shop that installed it. The total of this setup was $480. But if you break it all down, it makes sense. The muffler was $90. The exhaust tips were $65, and I needed two of those. Tail pipe was $50 and I needed two of those. The labor was $132.

I like every aspect of my current system better than my Flowmaster system. Both sounded sweet though.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i did some researching last night, and i found some tips that i like, and a few different mufflers. I realize I need the single in - dual out design, but does it matter whether or not the input and output line up? I know if would look better with the dual tips coming out symmetrical instead of one starting farther back. Heres a cheap example of what i mean:

==|---------|
__|MUFFLER|==
==|---------|

==|---------|
__|MUFFLER|
==|---------|==

Now that the laughter has subsided, does it matter which design I get, or is it better fit/look to get one over the other?

Also, If i have to do one mod at a time, would you like to see the exhaust first or the intake first? :icon_smil

Josiah

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Intake will get you 5 times the power gain that the exhaust will. Exhaust is mainly for looks/sound. You can see my exhaust tips in my right sig pic.

·
Registered
299 Posts
JLWX5 said:
i did some researching last night, and i found some tips that i like, and a few different mufflers. I realize I need the single in - dual out design, but does it matter whether or not the input and output line up? I know if would look better with the dual tips coming out symmetrical instead of one starting farther back. Heres a cheap example of what i mean:

Now that the laughter has subsided, does it matter which design I get, or is it better fit/look to get one over the other?

Also, If i have to do one mod at a time, would you like to see the exhaust first or the intake first? :icon_smil

Josiah
i dont think it does...but i dont know if flowmaster makes ones like

==|---------|
__|MUFFLER|
==|---------|==

mines like this VVVV
==|---------|
__|MUFFLER|==
==|---------|

1 - 13 of 13 Posts