DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
Whats the best possible setup for a 1st gen 3.5 exhaust system. I dont want to go with duals, i jsut want to replace the muffler-and don't know which one to go with. I don't want very much interior resonance, but would like an aggresive exterior sound. ok here is what i have come up with from flowmaster, i dont know what else is good- need opinions thanks

-40 series original
-40 series delta flow
-50 series- i really think this is what i am looking for not too loud but nice on the outside.
-60 series, maybe not loud enough on the outside

thanks guys any input would help greatly and if you had prices it would be excellent also thanks again

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I suggest you mod like crazy, keep your trep in good condition, and be the first ever with 1,000,000 miles.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Are you going to replace or remove the muffler, or just the resonator tip? The intrepid has a flat rectangular side entrance rear exit muffler up front, and the one in the back is just a resonator. There doesn't seem to be any HP to be gained by just replacing the resonator with another muffler.
whodat

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i want to put in a new muffler- take out the resonator, if i take out the muffler now and leave the resonator what will that do, but i kind of wanna put in a 50 series those sound like it would be good on a trep

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Out of the choices you gave, I like the sound of the 40 series original the best. I like loud cars though.

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
i like the 40 and 50 sereis FM mufflers, have a nice aggresive sound.

·
Registered
890 Posts
there is 3 cats under youre car 2 comming down from the engine bay. those 2 cats then connect to one cat, and then from that cat to a resonator then from that resonator to a muffler.

Thats the stock exhaust.

Now this is what i have done from those 2 cats i had those removed and had pipe only. then i removed the 3 cat and had the guy install a 3.0 inch highflowing cat. then he removed the resonator and the muffler. just bebore the fuel thank he made a y pipe and split the dual flowmasters from there.

heres a pic

Attachments

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
Now this is what i have done from those 2 cats i had those removed and had pipe only. then i removed the 3 cat and had the guy install a 3.0 inch highflowing cat. then he removed the resonator and the muffler. just bebore the fuel thank he made a y pipe and split the dual flowmasters from there.

we have our exhaust done almost identical except i left the 2 pre-cats in. question - how do you do on emission testing without the 2 pre-cats, it was my understanding that they do most of the work, so how do your tests turn out?

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
jebus by the way maybe its just me or ehat ive heard but dont u need teh resonator to pass the emissions test? and with neither the muffler and the resonator dont u loose alot of back pressure?:confused:

·
Registered
890 Posts
LMAO:biggrin: :biggrin:
Everytime someone asks me about emission test i smile. Because we people in florida dont have any emission test's. This is why you tend to see so many ricers out here:tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
No emissions tests here. And my backpressure is just fine.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Knightmare_3.5 said:
I suggest you mod like crazy, keep your trep in good condition, and be the first ever with 1,000,000 miles.
Do you mean Intrepid? Because I believe the fictional character "Al Bundy" had over 1 million miles on his old Dodge. That episode Chrysler offered him a Dodge Viper if they could get video of the car rolling over to all 0's. Of course, Al managed to f*ck it up.

:p

It he the highest mileaged Intrepid here?

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
well i have emission testing so :tongue: lol

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I HAVE THE MOST MILE HERE WITH A GRAND TOTAL OF
238,000 -

·
Registered