DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is for those who have had custom exhaust work done.

what are ya'll using for tips? I have these kick ass straight chrome pipes...but they are starting to rust on the ends! so I am debating on swapping them out for something else, and wanting to see who has what and if ya'll are having a problem like it a well. seems to me I have excessive moisture coming off the engine which is causing this.

I noticed the rust within days of getting the pipes. they painted the inside of em black, but now it's coming thru again.

suggestions?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Maybe drilling a small hole in the lower part of the pipe may help it drain instead of collecting moisture?

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
they are already there....came on them.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I think that pretty much whatver you get for tips, they are going to rust. I wanted to get 3.5" chrome tips for mine, but didn't have the money, so my bro just angle cut the 3" pipe on the ends and ground it down smooth. It is only rusted right on the end where we ground it down, and i was thinking of just getting some silver paint.

I can get a pic of what it looks like if you want.

·
Registered
18 Posts
You can go with stainless tips but they cost a lot of moola. Almost any chrome you hang out there will rust.

Dane

·
Registered
109 Posts
Mine tips are also starting to rust. I really wanted to go with the stainless steel, but they are expensive.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well from what i understand this is not an uncommon problem for the chrome. i'm gonna look into the stainless.

is there a stainless chrome? ha ha.

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
stainless is the best way to go, it costs more but will look great for years

I had the factory stainless tailpipes on my Mustang, all I ever did to clean them was an occasional SOS pad scrubbing and they were good as new

spend the extra money, why keep spending money on cheap chrome tips that you have to replace?

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
get titanium tubing for the tips. lightweight, hi temp, won't bend, no rust.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts