DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I was there I spent some time marveling at all the great exhaust systems. There were 5 or 6 that all sounds really good. I decided to take the opportunity to get some comparison videos. The camera's microphone sucks, but I took all the different ones with the same camera on the same day so they are at least good for comparing. I'll try to collect as much information about each setup from all the members themselves to add to this.

Ali's car - Bigdog2k7

Art's car - inthetundra

Louie's car - luckkky

Louie take off

Tom's car - Shadowvox6

Tom take off - ended up just being a pretty good burnout video because you can hardly hear the exhaust over the tires

Tom then did a couple drive bys, first one was tame cruising at reasonable speeds, second one he was doing 115.

Will's car - Wlb136

Will take offs

Will take off in car

Thats all that I got, enjoy. A few things to throw out there until I get a better description of all the exhaust systems worth mentioning. Will's car has a 2.7, but has an exhaust that sounds pretty damn good. At idle and low rpms it sounds fantastic. Under WOT there is no hiding that its a 2.7 but it still sound pretty good. Art's car has the same system except he only went with 2.5" single pipe back from the Y and Will used 3" but Art has a 3.5.

Tom's car is pretty quiet inside, I got to test drive it to really hear the exhaust. I got on it a few times, but I also played with cruising at different rpms to listen for drone. At about 2.5k the drone peaks, but its very soft and a nice tone. It wouldn't bother me at all to drive daily.

I think that the guys with crossflow mufflers got the best sound, but there is no doubt in how Tom's performs as a straight through true dual system, and it still has a very good sound.

·
Farticcus of Plenticcus
17,030 Posts
I know Louie plans on adding mufflers or some sort of resonator to the rear to quiet it down a bit. I think that he should add something to cut down on the "cackly" sound of it, but the level of volume isn't horrible.

For a "crossflow" design, I like Art's the best, although Will's gets an honorable mention, that and it is being produced from a 2.7. While I gave Will some crap over the weekend aboot his 2.7, it was all in jest, and I respect the fact that he is doing with his 2.7 what we are all doing with the 3.2/3.5's. Way to go Will!!

Ali's exhaust is decent, but I can't get past the DTM tip on the car....IMHO, it just doesn't fit the LH car very well.

My exhaust system has a good tone, many say it is quieter than it was previously. Quieter with a deeper tone. The "drone" Dan speak of to me, sounds like an old time muscle car while cruising. You feel it more than hear it, and you know it is from the aft end of the car. It isn't droning right below you, which is what gives me the goo....the sound and volume is where you want it....out the aft end.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Thank's alot Dan, great video's.Well after hearing my exhaust I am wondering if there is a way to add something like a resonator or something to give me some back pressure that im lacking ? I definately do NOT want to change the sound... Is it possible??? ALL SUGGESTION'S APPRECIATED.....And i agree that Will's 2.7 is the nicest ive heard, And also agree with Tom about ali's tip's not sure if im liking them.. Oh and what do you guy's think about me putting oval tip's to kind of make it look a lil more stock looking?? One more thing DAM YOU CORY (MR. MPG) I had to let off the throttle so that i didnt end up in your back seat !!!! LOL JK

·
Garfield Rules
9,144 Posts
I think it is a toss up between Tom's and Louie's. That is what I would like to get my car to sound like. Will's did sound pretty good for a 2.7.

·
Farticcus of Plenticcus
17,030 Posts
Thank's alot Dan, great video's.Well after hearing my exhaust I am wondering if there is a way to add something like a resonator or something to give me some back pressure that im lacking ? I definately do NOT want to change the sound... Is it possible??? ALL SUGGESTION'S APPRECIATED.....And i agree that Will's 2.7 is the nicest ive heard, And also agree with Tom about ali's tip's not sure if im liking them.. Oh and what do you guy's think about me putting oval tip's to kind of make it look a lil more stock looking?? One more thing DAM YOU CORY (MR. MPG) I had to let off the throttle so that i didnt end up in your back seat !!!! LOL JK
I think the oval tips would be ok...I still like the dual/dual tip look, but I know you don't.
I think a glass pack would do the trick. One on each side....that should reduce the cackly sound. A turbo muffler would for sure, and make the tone deeper too.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
I think the oval tips would be ok...I still like the dual/dual tip look, but I know you don't.
I think a glass pack would do the trick. One on each side....that should reduce the cackly sound. A turbo muffler would for sure, and make the tone deeper too.
a turbo muffler would reduce the crackly sound and make the tone deeper?
any specific brands you suggest? thrush maybe?

·
Registered
2002 Chrysler 300M Special
2,268 Posts
You guys are trying to spend money I don't have for me... and I didn't even get to go to the meet!

·
Farticcus of Plenticcus
17,030 Posts
Lou...look at these tips..

On the car...

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tom I love those tips, but I'm thinking of a slightly different version.

They are almost the same style, but cut across and offset a lot. I think those would match the wrap around of the Intrepid bumper really well where the ones you posted work better with the flat M rear.

·
Farticcus of Plenticcus
17,030 Posts
Tom I love those tips, but I'm thinking of a slightly different version.

They are almost the same style, but cut across and offset a lot. I think those would match the wrap around of the Intrepid bumper really well where the ones you posted work better with the flat M rear.
Yeah....
100% agreed

Corsa tips rule!!

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
I vote Louie's for best sound...thought at idle and low revs you can't really tell that will only has a 2.7L....geez. I was pretty amazed

BTW, anyone know exactly what setup Louie has?

·
Registered
15 Posts
how much does one of these dual exhaust types of systems go for? if i needed to do one performance mod atm it would be exaust since my 2.7 is running pretty good and not readily available to switch to a 3.5L

·
Registered
917 Posts
predatorytrep, thanks for the compliment, I had a flowmaster 2 in 2 out off my cat's then straight piped to 2 round 3 in tip's.. I recently added 2 cherrybomb turbo mufflers, quieted it down alot...

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Will has the 2.7.
predatorytrep, thanks for the compliment, I had a flowmaster 2 in 2 out off my cat's then straight piped to 2 round 3 in tip's.. I recently added 2 cherrybomb turbo mufflers, quieted it down alot...
Hey I have no problem giving compliments where they're due...:D

And so let me make sure im understnading this correctly...

instead of the y-pipe connector off the cats, you put a flowmaster dual inlet/outlet muffler and then used 2" piping back to the tips on each side which were 3" tips??

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.