DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
UGLY Exterior door trim discoloration

I'm sure you guys have noticed that the piece of trim on the exterior that runs along the sides of the car on all four doors has a tendency to get discolored and looks awful.

Does anyone know a good way to restore this piece of trim? It feels like it's made out of a softer material, maybe some kind of rubber, and it feels like it's pourous and might just have some oxidation or something going on. I've been tempted to try a rust remover like CLR, but that can't be good for the paint.

Has anyone found a good way to improve the appearance of that trim? Or is the only option to have it painted?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
smpainter said:
I'm sure you guys have noticed that the piece of trim on the exterior that runs along the sides of the car on all four doors has a tendency to get discolored and looks awful.

Does anyone know a good way to restore this piece of trim? It feels like it's made out of a softer material, maybe some kind of rubber, and it feels like it's pourous and might just have some oxidation or something going on. I've been tempted to try a rust remover like CLR, but that can't be good for the paint.

Has anyone found a good way to improve the appearance of that trim? Or is the only option to have it painted?

Thanks guys!
The best repair is removal of them! :biggrin:

Going to remove mine some time before Carlisle and do some sort of lower stripe job (hopefully) :biggrin:

·
Registered
646 Posts
Well on a First gen I personally dont like the look of having them removed. Try getting a clay bar and claying them, i noticed mine looked like **** but alot of it turns out to be really stuck on tar and other kinds of ****, the clay bar helped pull out a ton of the stuff, although i used a bar that was far too coarse for the paint (as i found out before i used it on the plastic trick :p)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts