DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lost one of my keys.....the second gen one with the chip in it...anybody know how much for a replacement and what's involved as far as programming it? :crazy:

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just spoke with my son and he told me key replacement would be about $33.00 dollars(in PA) So then i asked him you do they program them, he says that you would have to have it towed to the dealed. He works for Chrysler.

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
Check your owners manual. It tells you how to program extra keys. I think you only need your one good key, plus the other ones that you want to program. Just make sure to look there and if you don't have one then just say so and I'll look it up for sure.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have a sheet laying around somewhere that gives step by step how to do it. If I can find it, I'll post it up.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
OK I screwed up :blush:
Tow it ?? he still has one key

·
Registered
66 Posts
programming transponder keys

Sucks that you lost yer key dude! One of my fears:)
I do believe that you need two transponder keys to program one yourself, so it looks like a trip to the dealer for you. People are posting that you can do it yourself with one key, but my manual says no. I don't know I've never had to try it.
If you are interested, this guy is selling transponder keys on ebay.
check it out here.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3049641491&category=1498

My Manual say this:
" You can program new keys to the system if you have two valid keys by doing the following:

1. Insert the first valid key into the ignition and turn the ignition on for at least 3 seconds but no longer than 15 seconds.

Turn the ignition off and remove the first key.

2. Insert second valid key and switch the ignition on within 15 seconds. After 10 seconds a chime will sound and the Theft Alarm Light will begin to flash.

Turn the ignition off and remove the second key.

3. Insert the blank Sentry Key into the ignition and switch the ignition on within 60 seconds. After 10 seconds a single chime will sound The Theft Alarm Light willstop flashing, and turn on for 3 seconds; then turn off.

The new Sentry Key has been programmed. Repeat this process to program up to a total of 8 keys."

·
Registered
376 Posts
yes you need two keys to program up to 8 additional. Unfortunately I've tried everything possible to bypass this by faking it with the one key and no go. If I get a chance at work I may be able to get a blank one or two and send it to you for cutting...if you give me the code I can probably even have at least one cut...only thin is is that you will need the dealer toprogram it with the DRB III machine since you only have one that is programed. Let me know to see if I can get this done for ya and I'll ship it next time I go to East Aurura NY in a week or two possibly.

STBEAR007

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies.....I still have one key so I'm in no trouble....I just want an extra in case. You never know...

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I'm not offering any suggestions, but seeking an answer.
Do all 2nd gen Intrepids have the coded keys? The owner's manual seems to intimate that, but it's never clearly stated.

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
No, not all second gens have Sentry keys. If your key is grey, it's a Sentry, if it's black then it's not...

·
Registered
208 Posts
No sentry key for my 98...thank god. It seems like a waste of money for what you get by having it...but then I do not live in a high car theft area.

·
Registered
881 Posts
my moms buick century had a chip and she had another key made and it costed her 27 bucks.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Genxcat said:
No sentry key for my 98...thank god. It seems like a waste of money for what you get by having it...but then I do not live in a high car theft area.

Thats why Chryslers are one of the most stolen cars. Combine that with the plastic streering column and you can see why insurance rates are high for theft. Every car should have this technology by law to keep the joyriders out. A pro can steal any car but kids are out of luck with a chiped key car.

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
arg just take a key that can be programmed to a place like walmart or home depot or some place that cuts keys with a fairly advanced machine, they have a thing to program the keys there. we'd have it at the hardware store but were to damn cheap to buy the computer.

·
Registered
448 Posts
My 2000 Concorde LX [base 2.7] does not have transponder technology. My Wife's 1998 AWD 5.0 Explorer XLT does. The jack-offs that installed the remote starter disabled the engine somehow. Of course I only had 1 key [bought used]. We had to tow the Explorer to a Ford Dealer and have a 2nd key made on the spot. I paid $85 for a key and programming. The jack-offs paid for the towing ...get the 2nd key made and create a 3rd while you're at it!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts