DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I took my car in to have the fuel rail/o-ring recall done today because mine started to leak. They call me back saying they dont have the parts in stock and they'll have to be ordered. Then they try to sell me a bunch of other ****:

$800 for a new timing belt and water pump, $100 for a new alt/crank belt, $100 for a coolant flush, $600 for new rack and pinion bushings, $150 for a new tranny pan gasket "its thats the problem, we can't tell, we might have to pull the whole tranny". All together, a little over $1800 for stuff I can do myself for not even half that price. I told them to **** off, and to do the recall when they get parts in tomorrow or the next day.

So now I'm stuck with my car at the stealership for a day or two more. Assholes.

·
Banned
4,553 Posts
Um...this is your first time to a dealership or any other shop, isn't it? lol! That's why you should ALWAYS schedule recall work ahead of time. They don't alwyas have all the pasrts on hand... Good luck!

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In2Deep said:
Um...this is your first time to a dealership or any other shop, isn't it?
dealership, yes. shop, no. I try to avoid the dealership at all costs, but I wanted the recall done, cause its free, of course.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In2Deep said:
Um...this is your first time to a dealership or any other shop, isn't it? lol! That's why you should ALWAYS schedule recall work ahead of time. They don't alwyas have all the pasrts on hand... Good luck!
Well, I did schedule it yesterday and they didnt tell me they didnt have the parts in stock.

·
Registered
204 Posts
So why are you so pissed off? They let you know what you need or will soon need down the road. I would only be pissed if they fixed that **** without telling me. I know they do try to sell stuff to the customer, but you can just decline it.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
berggyb said:
So why are you so pissed off? They let you know what you need or will soon need down the road. I would only be pissed if they fixed that **** without telling me. I know they do try to sell stuff to the customer, but you can just decline it.
Well, I already knew all that stuff needs done, it just pisses me off they go inspecting the entire car when they dont even have the parts in to do the recall. Basically just looking for a way to rip me off.

·
Registered
204 Posts
My dad is a mechanic at a chrysler dealership and that is just part of a long list of things to do on a car that comes in. In fact, he hates looking for that ****, but they make the mechanics do it. I guess it is nice for those who no nothing about there cars, although I am sure they take advantage of the customer sometimes too though

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah, thats like $200 worth of parts. $1600 for labor? haha never.

·
Banned
4,553 Posts
That's the way most things work. Parts are pretty inexpensive...it's the labor that will kill ya. That's typical for just about every industry. Go to the hospital and then wait for your itemized bill. The supplies definitely add up, but the doctor’s fees are what really soak ya...unless you have a heart pump or something mechanical put it...then those parts are expensive!! :biggrin:

At least the dealer is letting you know that those parts should be replaced...which you said you already knew about. Not everyone knows that they need to replace parts occasionally. In a way, they're just doing their job and helping you be aware that things wear out. They're also doing their job by being salesmen and make money for the dealership they work for. No need to be bitter about that IMO, but that's just me. :)

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
oh well, this is probably my first and last trip to the dealer for repairs. damn recalls :)

·
Registered
467 Posts
so you're mad at the dealership because the technician informed you that your car requires repairs...hmmm...

if you understood how little technicians got paid and the stupid ass system we are paid by, you might think a little differently of your situation.

think of it this way - your car came in for work, and the tech took time out of his day (which, by the way, he loses money on that time if you don't buy those parts) to ensure that your vehicle is safe for you.

understand the system, and you'll realize that the parts guy and the technician are getting more screwed in this system than you.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
95PGTTech said:
so you're mad at the dealership because the technician informed you that your car requires repairs...hmmm...

if you understood how little technicians got paid and the stupid ass system we are paid by, you might think a little differently of your situation.

think of it this way - your car came in for work, and the tech took time out of his day (which, by the way, he loses money on that time if you don't buy those parts) to ensure that your vehicle is safe for you.

understand the system, and you'll realize that the parts guy and the technician are getting more screwed in this system than you.
Well, I appreciate them letting me know and all, but I already knew. I supose the thing that pisses me off most is they didn't tell me they didn't have the parts for the recall when i scheduled it or when I dropped it off. It seems as if they had me bring my car in, just so they could look it over and see if they could make any money off me, then do the recall. AND $1600 seems like alot of labor for $200 worth of parts. I'm not angry with the garage techs, they're just doing their job.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Ryan D. said:
Well, I appreciate them letting me know and all, but I already knew. I supose the thing that pisses me off most is they didn't tell me they didn't have the parts for the recall when i scheduled it or when I dropped it off. It seems as if they had me bring my car in, just so they could look it over and see if they could make any money off me, then do the recall. AND $1600 seems like alot of labor for $200 worth of parts. I'm not angry with the garage techs, they're just doing their job.
the person you talked to when you scheduled your car was the service writer, who 99% of the time couldn't tell you a PCV valve from a rear axle seal. when you called, they looked up your name and information in their computer, scheduled your time slot, and probably wrote "recall" under customer complaint.

when you came in, you talked to the same person (or another service writer), who retreived your name and the pre-written ticket (repair order) from the computer, asked you if you had any additional complaints, printed it, and took your keys.

the repair order then goes to the service manager(s), who decides what order the tickets get seen. a certain unlucky technician came in and was handed the ticket (if you were waiting, it is likely that the ticket got bumped up to the front of the line).

he took the ticket, punched in on it, found the car, wrote down the current mileage, and drove it inside. he signed onto his chrysler dealership connection at his workstation and ran an OASIS (or whatever you guys have, that's the Ford system we have) on your VIN number. The OASIS report, amongst other things, displayed all open campaigns (field service actions...recalls) on your vehicle. there was probably only that one, displayed as a numbered/lettered code, and he clicked it to open a description of the recall if he did not immediately recognize it. he looked under previous repairs, verified that the recall had not been performed already, and inspected the vehicle to confirm that the problem which the recall is supposed to address was present.

he then looked further into the recall information, got the part numbers for the parts requiring replacement under the recall, walked over to the parts counter, and while the parts guy was taking his nonchalant time eating his donut and bullshitting with customers, the technician walked back to his bay and performed a multipoint inspection of your vehicle after putting it seven feet in the air.

it was at this point he walked back to the parts counter, where his ticket was finally being addressed, and he wrote down the list of things he found that he recommended replacement of. the parts guy looked up the recall parts and the recommended parts, gave a price list, and ordered the recall parts when they were found not in stock. it was at this point in the system that anyone qualified to find out whether the recall parts were in stock or not did they actually know whether the parts for your recall were in the building or not.

after getting annoyed that nothing that is ever needed is in stock, the technician quickly returned the vehicle outside, punched out on the ticket, informed the service writer to call you and advise you of his advisements and when the recall parts would be at the dealership, and he went to the service manager to get his next bullshit job. because the parts were not in stock and no repairs were performed, the technician gets paid a grand total of zero dollars that he spent in that half hour or so on your car.

welcome to being an automotive technician at a dealership on flat rate :fun_84:

the problem with your case, as stated above, is that the person that you deal with ahead of time isn't qualified to look up the parts your recall will need and whether they are in stock or not.

honestly, I'm not surprised that they aren't in stock - what model year are you? 01? 00? 02? when was the recall issued? 03? 04? most dealerships don't stock recall parts past six months, most people get wind of a recall and come in right away. any parts (including recall) that they stock that are never used comes out of their pockets.

Reactions: Ryan D.

·
Registered
467 Posts
as an added bonus...in the future...just mention to the service writer that you know your vehicle has problems and you don't want the tech. to waste his time looking the car over, that you're here for absolutely nothing but the recall.

the tech will get very annoyed at what they see to be a cheapass customer who is not helping them make any money, but far less annoyed than spending time inspecting the car and waiting in line at the parts counter for prices on parts and losing even more money.

I know the system sucks, about the only ones it benefits are the people who get paid hourly (the service writer, the service manager)

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, it went somewhat like that. I could tell the service writer didn't know his own ass from a hole in the ground. The service writer wasnt even at their desk when I came in. A friendly tech had me pull my car into the garage,took my keys, then got a service writer for me.

The service writer looked up some **** on the computer for a few mins, told me pickup would be around 5 and that he would call. I get a call 2 or 3 hours later, informing me of the out of stock problem for the recall parts, then told me about the other things that they noticed during their routine inspection. I asked for prices on the other stuff, he didn't have any, he would have to call me back. So I said thats ok, when will the recall items be in, he said he hadn't ordered them yet after searching for the order sheet while I was on hold.

So, I told him just to give me a call after the order is put in and get some prices on the other things so I could decide if I could get some of them done there or not. So about an hour later, he calls back, with a price list. Starts rambling off huge numbers for parts I know arent worth anything, so I politely tell him no thanks. His tone of voice changes, he seems upset. He tells me my recall parts will be in tomorrow or the next day, and I will be called when they are installed.

I ask him if theres any sort of temp fix, like epoxy or form a gasket they could put around the leak, as it is small, so I would be able to drive to work and school for a day or 2. He then goes on a tirade about how they aren't "a backyard shop" and how he could never even think of doing such a thing. I said okay, thats fine, I'll leave it there, I was just curious. He then interupts me and goes on his tirade again. I just tell him to call me when its done and say bye.

I'm sure the techs work hard for little pay, and dumbass service writers don't make their job any easier.

Reactions: 95PGTTech

·
Registered
532 Posts
The bastards always try to get me to let them do more crap then I asked. You have to be firm and tell them exactly what you want done and nothing else. And I always tell them to call me w/ an estimate before they touch anything.

-GB49

·
Registered
467 Posts
GB49 said:
The bastards always try to get me to let them do more crap then I asked. You have to be firm and tell them exactly what you want done and nothing else. And I always tell them to call me w/ an estimate before they touch anything.

-GB49
they HAVE to. unless they're going to warranty the part (you get it and labor free), legally they have to call you if there is a change to your bill. when doing an oil change, I have to put in a call to ask the customer if they want a $1.25 bottle of washer fluid concentrate. if the place you go performs repairs without telling you, you can easily take them to court.

Ryan - wow, that sounds like a really inefficient dealership, I agree with you I would not go back there if they act like that. Rep returned :)

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
I guess you are a pretty good guy for the most part Ryan. All I hear when I read your post is "waaaaaaahhhh".

1 - 20 of 31 Posts