DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i knwo this may not seem exciting to anyone else but i found it interesting. few weeks ago i put my autostick shifter in and it worked the same as the old one and when i dropped it to autostick mode it jsut stayed in 3rd. i just put the shifter and didnt wire it up yet. Last night i installed my new 300M cluster and now when i drop it in autostick it goes into autostick mode. the tranny wont shift until it redlines and i assume it does that to keep it from blowing up. and on the freeway and its in overdrive and i shift it to autostick mode it shows the 4 circled and doesnt downshift out of overdrive like itdid when it was normal and i dropped it to 3rd. and as i slow it goes down 3, 2, 1 . i jsut didnt knwo the cluster acutally told the shifter its autostick. i need ot connect the two wires to the TCM next. i foudn the upshift wire but the downshift wire is not in the bundle. are the autostick wires there or do i actually need to plug then into the tcm harness plug? thanks for any help

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
I'm pretty sure the cluster has nothing to do with telling the car it has autostick. What it seems like you are doing is putting the car into autostick mode with the shifter, but you are unable to shift it because you don't have the wires hooked up to the tcm with the only difference being that you can actually see what gear you're in because you have a display capable of showing each gear. Your car might not have actually been staying in 3rd before, thats just what the gear indicator was reading because it couldn't display the autostick information. I could be wrong but I can't understand why anything other than the TCM determines whether you have autostick or not. If the gauge does have something to do with it than that is really interesting. Anyone know about this for sure?

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
00r/t.mopar.muscle said:
I'm pretty sure the cluster has nothing to do with telling the car it has autostick. What it seems like you are doing is putting the car into autostick mode with the shifter, but you are unable to shift it because you don't have the wires hooked up to the tcm with the only difference being that you can actually see what gear you're in because you have a display capable of showing each gear. Your car might not have actually been staying in 3rd before, thats just what the gear indicator was reading because it couldn't display the autostick information. I could be wrong but I can't understand why anything other than the TCM determines whether you have autostick or not. If the gauge does have something to do with it than that is really interesting. Anyone know about this for sure?

Nah thats not it before the 300m cluster if i was in OD and i dropped it in autostick mode it would downshift to 3rd. now if i drop it to autostick mode it stays in 4th . Also before the cluster if it was in 3rd and i gunned it it would downshift to 2nd if the speed was right. now if i gun it and its in autostick mode it wont do anyhitng i cant get it to downshift on its own.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Wow, thats definitely interesting. I'm assuming all the control of the autostick is done in the TCM but it must determine whether you have an autostick cluster or not to determine whether to activate autostick or not. Now that I think of it, the autostick shifter must be the same as the regular one only the 3rd gear position is now AS and the up/down shift switch is there.That would explain why it was like you had the shifter in 3 before putting in the cluster. I'm surprised. Good observation!

·
Registered
709 Posts
With you old cluster it was being told that you had shifted the car from D to 3, since it didn't have the display controller to show what the actualy gear was. With the new cluster when you shift it into autostick the cluster can now properly display which gear the car is currently in and thus it shows 4 being selected since that is generally the gear you'll be in while crusing.

If you had left the old cluster in and had the autostick up/down shift switches wired up the cluster would probably still show 3 even if you had shifted it into 1st, 2nd or 4th.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sport/SoundEdition said:
With you old cluster it was being told that you had shifted the car from D to 3, since it didn't have the display controller to show what the actualy gear was. With the new cluster when you shift it into autostick the cluster can now properly display which gear the car is currently in and thus it shows 4 being selected since that is generally the gear you'll be in while crusing.

If you had left the old cluster in and had the autostick up/down shift switches wired up the cluster would probably still show 3 even if you had shifted it into 1st, 2nd or 4th.

its not sjut what the guages say its what the car is repsonding too. old cluster i t would downshift to pass new one it stays in gear cause im not autosticking it down. I give up you all thin im crazy or dont knwo what im talking bout so forget it

·
Mopar or No Car
7,869 Posts
So when you installed the cluster the TCM now reads the shifter position as an Autostick position instead of a standard shift position - that makes sense. If the Autostick wires or sensor were bad how else would the car know it's got Autostick? It is interesting and I'm surprised there's not a code for that ...

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok then how is it with the old cluster if you put it in 3rd and from a stop it will shift till it got to 3rd. and in autostick mode from a stop it will stay in first and not shift till it hits redline and that is not with a fast take off also when in autostick mode if its in 4th and you acclerate it will not downshift yet with the old guages if it was in OD and you accelerated it would downshift for passing.

·
Mopar or No Car
7,869 Posts
IntrepidCUB said:
ok then how is it with the old cluster if you put it in 3rd and from a stop it will shift till it got to 3rd. and in autostick mode from a stop it will stay in first and not shift till it hits redline and that is not with a fast take off also when in autostick mode if its in 4th and you acclerate it will not downshift yet with the old guages if it was in OD and you accelerated it would downshift for passing.
That's the way Autostick works. Now when you pull back you're NOT shifting into 3rd you're putting the shifter into Autostick mode. Unless it hits redline (forced upshift) or the bottom of the gear range (forced downshift) it won't shift up or down without a signal from the Autostick switch, which you haven't wired up yet ...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts