DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got stopped by the PA state police this morning. Not for the double lane change exit I made onto the turnpike ramp that he had to see, but for window tint. I've passed the local police tint test (driver's license held behind glass), but the state police do it differently and now carry a little black case in their squad cars that has an electronic digital tint meter in it. I guess it's pretty accurate too because I have 35% tint and the meter showed 27% through the glass and tint. That's only 43% darker than PA state law permits, LOL. At least the guy was nice and only gave me a warning (and caused me to get to work 20 minutes late).

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
State law is only 70%? Stock windows usually show up around 86 percent so your looking at being allowed to have a dirty window and thats about it.

·
Banned
5,268 Posts
well...whats the state law on tint? if you have 35% percent tint, you should pass if the law is 35%. the glass can't be that bad.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
340duster said:
well...whats the state law on tint? if you have 35% percent tint, you should pass if the law is 35%. the glass can't be that bad.
Like captain mentioned, state law is 70%. So basically all window film is illegal. Comes down to the officer's discretion. This officer said he's OK with the back 3 windows, but they don't want to see tint on the front two because it puts them in danger, which I can understand.

·
Banned
439 Posts
I've had my windows tinted @ 20% for about 8 months now, and I've never had any problems with them from the cops. I've even been pulled over once already (speeding) and the state trooper didn't even mention the windows..

I always thought the PA law was fuzzy about window tint, not specifying 70%, but the windows must transmit enough light to view the interior...

more on that here : http://www.berksweb.com/users/dmv/tint/

my windows are rather dark, but it is also possible to see the interior of the vehicle very easily

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
i believe the officer misread the law, most states its near 30%, the legal tint limit might be 70%, but that means it allows 30% light to get through it, and that is what the window tint # is based on... as far as i was told anyway... AT least NO TICKET!

·
Registered
589 Posts
r0meo021 said:
i believe the officer misread the law, most states its near 30%, the legal tint limit might be 70%, but that means it allows 30% light to get through it, and that is what the window tint # is based on... as far as i was told anyway... AT least NO TICKET!

no the officer did not misread the law, PA is at 70% light must go through on all After-Market window tints.

also, those little light guns... arent exactly new, they're pretty old. my sister got caught with her cutlass with 10% light going through, like that about 7 years ago.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gary, where was that pic taken at? Who did your tint? This is the first time I've been stopped in either of my 2nd gens by the staters for anything.

Romeo, in PA when they say 70% they do mean 70% of the light must pass through.

Next time the lights come on, all windows are being rolled down instantly.

·
Banned
439 Posts
The pic was taken in the Foster Plaza office complex in Greentree..... the windows were done at a place called Auto Image Plus on Banksville road near the Ft. Pitt tunnels... where did you have yours done?

I rolled my windows down as soon as I saw lights on too, so he may not have even noticed my front windows were tinted

·
Registered
605 Posts
That is one nice Impala. You should lose that extra luxory stuff and cop it out. :D

·
Banned
439 Posts
thanks.... it's funny how drivers that are approaching quickly from behind at night will slow down and ride my bumper until they see civilian plates then go right back to speeding... so it's sorta "copped out" haha .. I don't want to give up the heated leather seats though!

·
Registered
605 Posts
gary680 said:
thanks.... it's funny how drivers that are approaching quickly from behind at night will slow down and ride my bumper until they see civilian plates then go right back to speeding... so it's sorta "copped out" haha .. I don't want to give up the heated leather seats though!
I meant jsut lose the exterior stuff that makes it civliany. :icon_razz

·
Registered
962 Posts
Back when I had my 78 Caprice, I got popped for tint. The light meter showed less than 2% light transmission.

It's all illegal, so might as well go dark as Hell.
As soon as I get a couple hundred bucks, the Intrepid is getting 5% on all the windows.

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
Hartski does have a point. The law isn't any tougher on you for violating it more, illegal tint is just illegal tint. The only reason I wouldn't go that dark is because here the law is 50, so I won't likely get pulled over for 35 tint (it'll only be illegal on the front two).

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
CaptainMorgan said:
Hartski does have a point. The law isn't any tougher on you for violating it more, illegal tint is just illegal tint. The only reason I wouldn't go that dark is because here the law is 50, so I won't likely get pulled over for 35 tint (it'll only be illegal on the front two).
So i can only do 50 on the front 2 and 35 on the back 3 ?

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
The law now is that you can go darker on the backs, I don't think theres even a limit on those anymore. Less than a year ago that was changed, it used to be 50 all around. Now its only 50 still on the front.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah I forgot, they can ticket you in PA even though you're registered in GA! I recall that there's are tons of them (staters) hanging out in the areas in vicinity of the fairgrounds too, at least for the custom compact power jam they were...

·
Registered
865 Posts
I've got 5% on all the rear and thinking of getting maybe 30% - 20% on the front two and 5% on that strip across the top of the windshield.

I got to ride in someones car that is 5% all the way around, its like you are driving in a pair of sunglasses lol.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I can't remember what year it started, but i'm about 90% sure its 1996 and up cars with A/C from the factory have a factory 13-18% tint on all the windows, just something to keep in mind when trying to keep your tint legal.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts