DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Speed is Power
6,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I'm going to get alot of crap for this, people are gonna be telling me just to go out an buy an alarm. I dont want an alarm, I just want people to stay away from my car. There has been alot of break ins occuring latly around here. But what from I'm hearing is if they see a red light flash, they stay away. Well I got this light and want to know how to hook it up through my fuse box with a toggle. Anyone have any idea on how this would work? I had a blue one that looked similar and hooked it up and couldnt get it to work, then I thought it was the light and I tested it on the battery and it blew. I'm all about using my fuse box.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
DO NOT CONNECT AN LED DIRECTLY TO 12V!!!! You killed the blue one because LEDs are designed to operate on low current and voltage. Blues are around 4v and red are around 2v. Seeing that you have a red led there, and assuming you want a forward voltage of 2v, and a current of somewhere around 10ma, you should connect a 1k ohm resistor in series with the led before connecting it to battery voltage through a switch or whatever. The only problem is the light will be on all the time. You're probably better off buying an led designed for exactly what you want. I'm pretty sure I've seen fake ones that flash and you just connect them top 12v

·
Speed is Power
6,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where would I find a resistor ? I was just thinking about connecting it to the fuse box and running a toggle switch for it. All my neons in my car are all ran through the cig lighter wires.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Neons are designed to work on 12v, LEDs are not. They do make LED light bars which I have, but they have a resistor built in to limit the current. Its fine to use the power from your cigarette lighter as long as there is a resistor in series with it. You can buy a resistor at any radio shack, they usually have them in packs of 5 or so for a buck or two. You need a 1k(1000) ohm. The colored stripes on a 1k will be brown,black,red and then gold or silver depending on what wattage you buy(either will do).

·
Speed is Power
6,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you, got any idea on a good place to mount it?

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
I have boxes full of different resisters!!!!!!! lol I remember when i was in the 10th grade back in 1994, and I had a fake car alarm in my toyota camry that took 2 AA batterys and even had a house style keypad...........

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
I would recommend mounting it up near the windshield as thats the standard place. I think the first gen's have a removable cover along the top of the dash too. Just take it off and drill a hole and then just pop that led in. Fortunately for you yours is already mounted in a holder so it will just lock right into the hole. The only problem is it won't look as realistic because it won't flash. If I were to do it I would build a flasher circuit but I don't know how much electronics experience you have. If you want I could give you a schematic. Good Luck!

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Anybody that wants your car, will have your car. Most alarms a joke, but if it can startle the thief and get the attention of people around it, HOPEFULLY it'll prevent your car from being stolen, or stolen from.

Most people keep walking and pay no attention. After all who wants to get knifed or shot for protecting someone else's property at no cost.

The reality is that a pager alarm, or a lojack type system is best. The pager alarm lets them eat 12 guage security, and the lojack locates the bastards before they strip your prized vehicle.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
No offense to nhogan, but I don't think his car is very desirable to a professional car thief. There isn't alot of money in parts for these cars, so the only people who would want to steal an intrepid would probably be someone who just wants to joyride or is looking for valuables inside the car. If a thief is in a neighborhood and wants to break into a car outside someone's house they are far more likely to break into the neighbor's car with no light on the dash just to be safe. Besides, if $5 worth of parts and a little time even has the slightest chance of deterring a thief I say go for it.

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Well then, the led for my alarm is mounted on my steering column. It's visible from almost anywhere in the car, and the alarm is ridiculously loud. So much so that when I had my audio installed (had it done professionally since it was the middle of february?) nearly ate my hood after he reconnected my battery. Scared the crap out of him even though he installed it the week before. ;)

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
EvilDeadFan said:
Well then, the led for my alarm is mounted on my steering column. It's visible from almost anywhere in the car, and the alarm is ridiculously loud. So much so that when I had my audio installed (had it done professionally since it was the middle of february?) nearly ate my hood after he reconnected my battery. Scared the crap out of him even though he installed it the week before. ;)
Thats great! I want to get some kind of a new siren thats so obnoxious everybody looks. Now if an alarm goes off in a parking lot and they all sound thesame nobody even bothers to look. I want the msot bizarre sound in the world thats way the would-be thief will just be so shocked they'll just run.

·
Registered
532 Posts

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
find a factory alarm module and mount in it your dash, and just ire it up to a swtich instead look nice clean and factory as well as visible

·
Registered
301 Posts
I have always wanted to find a cold war air raid/nuclear incident siren to put in my trunk to tie into my car alarm- have people hear it for miles ;)

But it would prolly just go off in the middle of the night when a cat walks on the car and piss off the niebors (as well as myself).

I would not be surprised if most the "fake alarm LEDs" you buy in car parts stores have a resistor built in so not to burn out the LED when tied into the +12 volts- if this is so it would say on the instructions/package no doubt.

Alternately a place like Allied Electronics would have resistors (prolly have to buy 5 or more at once but they are dirt cheap). Radio shak *used* to sell that kind of stuff but when I walk in to get stuff like that these days I just have people stare at me "...you... want a what?"

·
Registered
891 Posts
I’ll throw in my two cents here too. Make sure the light blinks rather then just being on solid. The blue LED on my system stays on solid when the alarm isn’t armed, and blinks when it is. When my trep was broken into when the alarm wasn’t on, so even though the blue light was on solid, they still broke into it. So definitely don’t assume that just because you have a midsized family sedan, that it’s automatically not a target for thieves. I’ll definitely agree that no one will pay attention when an alarm just goes off, so EvilDeadFan has a point that there is no point in getting the actual alarm if it doesn’t have some expensive extras like the two way paging.

·
Speed is Power
6,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Alright, KNash have any idea where I can get a factory alarm?

There arnt many professional car thiefs around here, just a bunch of kids looking for somthing to do. The last 100 or so breakins in this town and the towns around here, the people are just going for cd players, everything in glove box and the system in the trunk and anything else laying around. Very few actually take the cars.

The reason why i want to do it is the same reason as why GB49 did it, so the perp will see it blinking and hopefully think twice before messing w/ the car.

·
Registered
532 Posts
You should be able to get a 1k resistor 1/4W or 1/2W at your local Radio Shack.

My setup took a while to do because I wanted it to blink automatically when the door was locked. It is doable and I think its worth it even if it prevents just that one guy who was thinking about breaking in.
The trick is to make it look professional. Not too bright of an LED, a slowish blink and a plastic collar for the LED to mount in.

-GB49

1 - 20 of 24 Posts