DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so basically before i put my new cop car cluster in i want to replace all the bulbs. figure i might as well so i dont have to pull the cluster back out to replace any if they burn out. they look like 194 bulbs, but they dont look like they are supposed to come out of the socket. figured i may as well ask before i break em. maybe my fingers are greasy.

·
Registered
455 Posts
iirc; take off the cardboard from the back of it. its held by torx-15 screws.

then youll see the back of the light bults, iirc they have a gray thing on the back of them holding them in place.. just twist those and they pop out.

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
If there like the 1st gen twist lock sockets there not supposed to come out but there are replacement sockets that except the 194 leds you can get im not sure if the 2nd gens would be 1/2 inch or 5/8 inch hole diameter though.

·
Registered
13,180 Posts
I think this might just be overkill, it takes like 20 minutes to swap a cluster if that and it's not like those bulbs are prone to failing.

·
Registered
6,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think this might just be overkill, it takes like 20 minutes to swap a cluster if that and it's not like those bulbs are prone to failing.
yeah but if there not expensive why not !

·
Registered
6,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
iirc; take off the cardboard from the back of it. its held by torx-15 screws.

then youll see the back of the light bults, iirc they have a gray thing on the back of them holding them in place.. just twist those and they pop out.
yeah that i know. wasnt sure if the bulbs came out of the grey sockets.

·
Registered
706 Posts
some come out easier than others. some bulbs are like they are a part of the damn socket. So, like previously mentioned. Measure your sockets, get replacement ones from autolumination.com

194 bulbs fit in the turn signals, i think its T5 bulbs for the others.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
the bulbs come out (194 for the turns and dial illumination) (T5 for the cruise ..and the other one that comes out...IIRC that bulb is called 74 too)....wiggle n pull..use a towel..or your shirt ... I used a rubber pot holder to get mine out when I did it....
If you're replacing with leds.. get inverted cone, flat head(lightly sand the flat end), or 5050/smd leds.. dont get a regular round end led..it will give you hot spots, you need a led that's going to spread the light out evenly (the ones I mentioned above)

·
The Womanizer!
2,964 Posts
so basically before i put my new cop car cluster in i want to replace all the bulbs.
Cop clusters are EL, no bulbs

·
Registered
6,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Damn EL!!! ... CRG.. what exactly are you doing.. just replacing them with new ones ..or you going for a color change..?

·
Registered
706 Posts
I assumed he knew it was EL and was talking about all the indicator lights.

·
Registered
6,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Damn EL!!! ... CRG.. what exactly are you doing.. just replacing them with new ones ..or you going for a color change..?
just want to replace them with new ones

I assumed he knew it was EL and was talking about all the indicator lights.
wouldnt EL be IL

·
The Womanizer!
2,964 Posts
EL = Electro Luminisent or something like that

·
Registered
15,047 Posts
The police, m, and lhs clusters use a membrane that when stimulated by electrons emits a green glow, much like an indiglo watch

Heres an older pic I have from last year..

·
Registered
6,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The police, m, and lhs clusters use a membrane that when stimulated by electrons emits a green glow, much like an indiglo watch

Heres an older pic I have from last year..

That is so cool. Guess I'll just replaced the turn signal bulbs and cruise bulb just in case. That won't hurt. Believe it or not I believe one of the bulbs in the speedo gauge burn out yesterday

1 - 18 of 18 Posts