DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whenever it rains out my cooling fans run. as soon as it dries up, the fans stop. been doing this for about 1 yr now. where should i look first? it seems like the fans start right away if its wet out. shouldn't the engine compartment be dry if the car is sitting?

·
Registered
660 Posts
Could be a tough one. You might try dividing the engine compartment up into sections and wetting one area at a time per day until you can find an area that causes it. Then you will have an idea where to start.
If I had to guess would start near the fan relays where ever they are located. I'm not sure.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i guess having the fans run too much is better than not at all. wouldn't want to overheat. the fans seem to start on low and than kick up to high.

·
Registered
660 Posts
There could be a good tip. The AC pressure will cycle the fans on and off. I believe the high pressure switch is located on the line near the bottom of the radiator below the fans. (passenger side) You should see if on the line it screw onto the line. Might unplug the switch and see if the problem still occurs. Of course you probably should not run the ac with it off.
Or spray some water around the area and see if the problem happens. Could have some exposed wires going to the switch.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
as a matter of fact, my a/c pressure transducer is bad. the wire harness for the transducer has 3 wires. 1 is +5V or something like that and i have an inline switch to disable it. i turn on the switch when i want to run my a/c. yay, i know, someday i will put on a new transducer. but right now, when the switch is off, the fans do not run. but get the car wet and the fans will run. the comment about the transducer is valid but i don't think that is the problem here. something else is getting wet and turning on the fans.

·
Registered
660 Posts
OK, by the way you know the switch can be changed anytime without losing any gas?

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i picked up a sensor from a car at the junkyard and when i tried to unscrew it, i got some freon leaking out. i looked at the connector and saw that it was not the same either. different plug. so i would have to dig up the proper connector to wire it in. it was from a gen 1 car but i don't recall the motor or year. maybe 93-94 cars used a different sensor.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
My experience is that the transducer has nothing to do with the fans running when the weather is damp. I just replaced mine because it wouldn't allow the AC to switch on and was running the fans almost all the time (1st gen, 1996). It cured those problems, but didn't change the fan's propensity to run when it's wet outside. I don't know what causes that, but apparently it isn't the transducer. My advice is to do like I do and don't worry about it; it can't hurt anything.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i don't want to split this thread from the fan issue but i think a failed "on" transducer will make the fans run all the time. my a/c does work but i don't think the compressor cycles on/off since the computer looks at the a/c pressure and cycles the compressor to maintain a certain pressure and performance. i have my system "hotwired" so i think the compressor runs all the time when i turn on the a/c and thats not right.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Theres another thing down against the radiator. Has something to do with the radio static, believe i seen some threads relating it to fans.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts