DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been trying to diagnose some sounds that are new to me as a new Chrysler owner. It started with a kind of whir like a screw gun when I accelerate, and also a kind of loud whoosh of air at the same time.

Today, after tightening my a/c pulley to get rid of the a/c belt squeal, which worked, I went for a test drive and for the first time really floored the gas. So it does the whoosh and whir things that I expect, but this time, as I floored it, I heard a fast pace kind of clicking, almost like thumbing threw a deck of cards. Happened for all of a second or two.

I am expecting to be able to spend time looking into the bigger belt tensioner pulley this weekend. Is this a symptom of that also?

·
Premium Member
17,347 Posts
Am I correct in saying that in your videos, you're putting the transmission in neutral and then giving it gas? Sounds like classic exhaust leak to me. Check the connection of the catalytic converter to the manifold (V-band) - they are known for loosening. Also check the flex section of pipe just downstream of the catalytic converter - they are known for cracking/breaking. If both of those are OK (both sides), check the whole system from front to back - something (manifold, pipe, muffler, or resonator) is disconnected or has a big hole or crack in it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually both videos are in in gear and driving, then just kind of gassing it for a second or so with each rev you hear.

Would the whooshing and the clicking be connected to the same issue? I can hear the whoosh with every single press of the gas,in gear or neutral. The clicking is only if i floor or nearly floor it and appears to be occurring only while in gear and driving.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Actually both videos are in in gear and driving, then just kind of gassing it for a second or so with each rev you hear.

Would the whooshing and the clicking be connected to the same issue? I can hear the whoosh with every single press of the gas,in gear or neutral. The clicking is only if i floor or nearly floor it and appears to be occurring only while in gear and driving.
I'm with Bill on this one. If you can get it on a rack and check the exhaust that's where I'd start.

BTW, sounds like it has a miss as well. Any chance a spark plug has backed out and the compression is escaping around a coil?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am not sure about a miss. There was a lot of noise in that video from fumbling with the camera, i am going to go take another video right now and try to keep the camera still but keep the car in neutral while parked. appreciate the help

·
Premium Member
17,347 Posts
...BTW, sounds like it has a miss as well. Any chance a spark plug has backed out and the compression is escaping around a coil?
You're more experienced on this, but would you agree that a problem with a leak (spark plug, head gasket, manifold) on a single cylinder can sound like a miss?

I'd be interested in seeing a Sea Foam cleanout done to see how much smoke comes out the end of the tailpipe (which would be normal) vs. a bunch out of some place between the engine and there.

Yeah - definitely check out the spark plug thing like Dave suggests.

Richard - does the engine seem to have normal good power?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah it has good power as far as I can tell. Can spin the wheels if I wanted to, and really no issues getting up to speed fast.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm with Bill on this one. If you can get it on a rack and check the exhaust that's where I'd start.

BTW, sounds like it has a miss as well. Any chance a spark plug has backed out and the compression is escaping around a coil?
I will check the exhaust and maybe try that sea foam test.

As for the spark plugs, do you think I should just remove the coil and check the that the plugs are tight?

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
I will check the exhaust and maybe try that sea foam test.

As for the spark plugs, do you think I should just remove the coil and check the that the plugs are tight?
I'll check back and see if you get a better video / Audio clip. But, that's what it sounded like to me. I may have been distracted by other noises.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Im heading out now for parts to replace both idler pulleys and all 6 sparkplugs. A great deal on ngk lasers going on now. I'll post a video in a couple hours. I will try to do a sea foam test this morning too. Know off hand which line is the proper line to pull to add it?

·
Premium Member
17,347 Posts
There's a small vacuum line elbow coming straight out the top of the plenum just ahead of the throttle body - that's the one to use. Be sure to limit the rate of entry of the Sea Foam by size of line and/or pinching it down to restrict it. If you allow it to suck in too fast, you can hydro-lock and damage the engine.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
OK I did the sea foam, a bottle in the gas, a 1/2 in the oil and a 1/3 in the vacuum line. No real smoke to be seen.

I also changed both pulleys and 5 out of 6 spark plugs. I discovered that one of them, the middle on the passenger side, has a stripped out torx on one of the screws. It is on tight and the rest of the plugs really werent in bad shape. After the bar exam I m going to have tofind a shop that can fix that, I have no idea how to do it myself.

Here are 4 more videos:

1. (neutral with revving and maintaining 2k+ rpms a bit)
http://youtu.be/-Qir7FNWqJ0

2. (same pretty much but with camera underneath car)
http://youtu.be/VR8QFci51TM

3. (driving but doing some revving when I coast to get the click - never neutral)
http://youtu.be/k1yr76oywtw

4. (standard driving, not really much to hear)
http://youtu.be/gG7R2qzizFk

Edit:
5. Inside and engine compartment while in park
http://youtu.be/JpDw5WF9pKI

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
got the last plug switched after using a dremel to cut a slot.

ok took apart the wiper guards and had someone hit the gas a few times. It seems pretty clear the area with the leak is right behind the plenum at our around the throttle body or under it. Very vague I know. I couldnt see any loose fittings, or ones flat out not connected. But its not easy to see. One thing I saw is there is a tube that the inner tie rods bolt to,and that thing had a rip in it. But that seemed more of a protector for something inside, not something to conduct airflow. I dunno, I couldnt find any obvious leaks via tubing.

Also, while I was fiddling around, I saw this just laying in top of something:

·
That rhythm is INFECTIOUS.
18,595 Posts
What year car is this? I'm suddenly thinking EGR tube seals (up into the plenum from underneath).

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Is there a bolt in this side bracket? Also, do you feel vacuum at this hole? If someone put too long a bolt in this spot they might have cracked the intake plenum.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
that bolt is definitely missing. Do you know the size by chance so i could replace it tomorrow?

Also i do not feel any vacuum coming through the hole for that bolt.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts