DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hmm, I was just wondering the best way to race. The way I do it is, have it in auto stick in first then do a brake stand then let it go, I let it go to the redline and let it shift for me.. is there some certain spots that mabe I should do the shifting to get better performance?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Sounds like what I would do if I had autostick...

Me, a few times I have shifted into "L", stood on the brake, revved to 1500, and when it redlined (around 5000) I shifted to "3", etc... so nothing too different than autostick.

-wolf out

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
i trust the rev limiter on the tranny but at that high point in the power band the shift from 1 to 2 is crisper and more authoritative if you autostick it. have you ever noticed driving around normally that if you use autostick, even at normal shift points, your shifts are bumpy and sick? well, those work to your advantage at high RPMs. if you have the tranny in autostick and let it shift itself, it's no different than having it in D and stomping it. if you do a little experimentation, punch your car in D and let it rev up and then shift. then use autostick, and shift at about the same RPM. it slams down much faster and you can really tell the difference. if you leave it in D it takes a loooooooong time to shift back down into 2nd, it doesn't know that you desire a fast shift as opposed to a smooth shift.

hope this long winded explanation enables you to cook some additional rice. peace out.

·
Registered
560 Posts
brake stand @2,000 rpm, green light, floor it (autostick)...just above 5,500 rpms, shift into 2nd (that gives you tach that is closer to the peak powerband)...ride second all the way to the line before hte 3rd gear shift (i love 2nd)...usually, the peak horsepower in these motors is at or around 5000-5500 rpms...try to time your shifts, so they happen before the engine revs so fast that the lifters remain open, :(

·
Registered
40 Posts
  • Make sure Traction Control is off
  • Shift 5500-6000 RPM
  • Launch at 2000-2300 RPM
If it is wet, let off the brakes, roll into the throttle to 5-10MPH, then stand on it. Even with the traction control off, you should have pretty good acceleration.

·
Registered
560 Posts
crap, forgot about that trac control....ah well,...if you like extended burnouts and 180 skid turns...become astute in using your E-brake (off road, and not too much...changing the shoes for those things is pretty fn extensive...yoou have to pull the hub) ya know, on second thought, dont do it

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
GlennAustin said:
  • Make sure Traction Control is off
  • Shift 5500-6000 RPM
  • Launch at 2000-2300 RPM
If it is wet, let off the brakes, roll into the throttle to 5-10MPH, then stand on it. Even with the traction control off, you should have pretty good acceleration.
Sweet ride, I just picked up my SE-R on Friday.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Black94ES said:

Sweet ride, I just picked up my SE-R on Friday.
What color?

Since I autocross now, and was have almost zero luck at finding any parts for the Intrepid, I got a SE-R SpecV.

I still think that the Intrepid is a very good car, it just wasn't as good a car for what I wanted to use it for.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I got the Aztec Red, everybody's getting silver. I've seen 3 silver ones in my area, and the truth is they don't stand out, they blend in with the rest of traffic. Unless you know something about cars, you won't notice it.

I wanted black at first too, but my Intrepid is black (don't want 2 black cars) not only that, scratches are so damn noticeable on my Intrepid everytime I wash it. Sometimes I think the car looks better dirty.

Hopefully the red paint is better. Mine is a SE-R with the sport package, and auto. Came out to the same price as a Spec-V. I really wanted the 6-speed, but my mom can't drive stick... doh!!!

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
bringing the conversation to the original question...........................

here is a few tips for ya that I learned from experience:

1. turn off as many accesories as you can, radio, heater, a/c, etc.

2. mash the brake pedal as far as it goes and hold it there while holding the gas pedal to just above the RPM's where your engine gets its peak torque (that info can be found on websites)

3. when the light turns green, release the brakes as fast as possible, and mash that gas pedal to the floor!

there is something I noticed in my first gen 3.5, because of the torque, if I dont follow the above technique and just nail the gas pedal as soon as the light turns green, (on the strip of course), I just get massive wheelspin

GOOD LUCK !!!

·
Registered
617 Posts
MY WAY

The way i do it is dont brake stand at all and just punch it off the line and shift with auto stick before it redlines. I think redlining a car is kinda hard on em and i try not to do it if at all possible. so far ive smoked a turbo civic and a toyota paseo or something not sure if it was a paseo or what but any way thats my way of doing it.

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
good luck and I hope you enjoy driving as a whole, but not as a hole (figure it out!). just make sure your license doesnt become property of the state like mine has been for the past six months, got it back yesterday, it feels like my first day behind the wheel

1 - 14 of 14 Posts