DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm switching all of my computers to NTFS from FAT32 (using the Disk Management utility in 2000) I am obviously going to back everything up first, but wanted some comments from anyone who has done this before.

Is there a good chance I'm gonna corrupt my data? Is it worth just reinstalling the OS before I bother? Any comments are appreciated.

Thanks guys.

:)

[ September 30, 2001: Message edited by: Intrepidatious ]

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
I have never corrupted a hard drive from doing this. From what I hear, its a pretty safe procedure.

Doesnt hurt to have good backups though.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
yer safe, i can say i done only a few hunred of these and never had a problem.

convert c: /fs:ntfs

then restart

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I remember back in the NT 4.0 days it was recommended you install NT on a FAT16 partition and then convert it after everything was up and running. If you can possibly do so, always install 2000 on an NTFS partition or if you upgrade from 98 to 2000, convert the file system to NTFS right away.

Another healthy thing to do every 6 months or a year is completely wipe everything off. Start over. Backup things you cannot replace (or whatever would be a big hassle to recover), like documents, downloaded files, your MP3 collection, etc. and format the drive or partition. Over time the registry gets cluttered with bits and pieces of programs you've installed and uninstalled and the likelihood that things will start to behave strangely increases. This is less of a problem on 2000, but even 2000 gets cluttered over time, unless it's a server and you don't install stuff frequently.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts