DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

How often do you wax your car?

• A couple times a week...I literally love my car.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Once a week.

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • A few times a month.

Votes: 11 25.6%
  • Once a month.

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • A few times a year.

Votes: 20 46.5%
  • Never. Wax?

Votes: 2 4.7%
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what everyones favorite Wax is?
Any waxing tips?

Looking to try something new.

I personally like Meguiars Hi-Tech Yellow Wax 26. Very easy to work with...does not create any dust when wiping off...wipes off and shines without much effort...works great with an orbital buffer.

I normally polish 2-3 times a year and maybe wax once a month or more.

Tips: Especially if you own a black car...but really any car...an orbital buffer is a great investment. I can completely wax and remove the wax in about 30 minutes using a buffer and it does a great job. Cannot reproduce the results doing it by hand. Just make sure the car is very clean before using a buffer and the buffing pad is clean. A dirty pad can screw up a paint job good.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
I voted "a few times per year", but I would like to do it more often.

I use the Meguiar's 3 part system - cleaner/polish/wax. Hell of a lot of work too, since I do it by hand. I would say the results are very good to excellent.

Chicago, I sure would like a little more info about doing this with an orbital buffer. I have never used a orbital buffer before, probably because of the fear of going through the clear coat/paint if not careful, especially around edges. Well, with this black car of mine, I can see that I'm going to want to learn. So, how about some tips. Maybe even a full run-down procedure of how you do it in a separate post with an appropriate heading? Man, I sure would appreciate it. How about some recommendations as to what gear to buy. Can you recommend a decent buffer that's not too terribly expensive? How about pads? Is there different knaps or pad types that are better suited for this purpose, or is there a different type pad that's better suited to a newbie?

Seriously, I will take any and all helpful info with the full anticipation of going out and purchasing a buffer and all needed supplies. Maybe even this weekend...

Thanks!

·
Registered
456 Posts
I'm a fan of Zymol myself, but many 300Mers are bigtime Zaino fans. It's great for dark colors.

·
980 Posts
With a good wax , and only washing with car wash at home no automatic washes you should only have to wax 3-4 times a year,Maybe less. I like Mothers first a claybaring and then the Carnuba gold.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
norton...No problem...I would be glad to do it...I will give buffer 101 class sometime tomorrow. You can get a very decent setup for under $100. IMO it is well worth it...does a better job than you could ever do hand waxing and it is probably 3x as fast.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
99300...Zymöl is good stuff but I have found it very difficult to work with. Very difficult to polish...I always get streaks and then have to go over the entire car again with a damp towel in one hand and dry in the other to get the streaks to disappear. Extra work :(

Definitely shines up nice afterwards but I hate the extra work.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I use mothers wax, everything I detail my car with is by mothers, its just the best stuff/ Meguires also has a very good name, I just choose to go with Mothers. I also have used Mopar Paint sealant on my car in the spring, its supposidly good for 2 years. But I still put wax over it.

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
I am a Zaino guy. I usually wax the car myself with a full clbybaring twice a year... and I get a quick job done at the detailing shop about 4 other times per year.

In fact im probably gonna bring it over to the detailer this weekend.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Nu-Finish

The once a year car polish.

And that's all she needs, too.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I used to use Zymbol, did a nice job for me. I then just last month tried Meguiar's Gold Class. Wow! I was very impressed and happy with the results, did not leave any residue on after taking the wax off, left a great, glossy shine, really brought out the color in my car.

It was the first time my car had been waxed since I had owned it (nearly a year:( ) I'm not sure if it had even been touched before I bought it. I also do it by hand which sure does take more time and effort than a buffer, but to me it's well worth the time and money!:)

·
Registered
115 Posts
ChicagoTRS said:
Just wondering what everyones favorite Wax is?
Any waxing tips?

Liquid NuFinish, orange bottle. Used for 9 years on my 11 year old Cougar (bright red), original paint and still a high gloss finish. Not bad for 11 Canadian winters. Intrepid has already gotten one coat, hopefully a second later this week.

Dan

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
i usuasually use spray-nine to get most of the crap off then use turtle wax finish 2001. that stuff is the shizznit! make the thing look liek new then i spray-9 the wheels and then use armaorl wet tire shine on the tires. toatal time is about 1hr.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I use Zainos. I used to use Meguires, and that was a very good wax, but the Zainos is so much easier to use and lasts longer. I have an orbital buffer that I don't even use any more since I switched. Just did my daughters car this past weekend, and it looks awsome! Used Turtle Wax Chrome Polish on the wheels and a little Armor All on the tires, and it is a shining machine!

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I love Meguiar's Gold Class car wax. My car is a 1993 with the original paint, so I've also had to use Scratch-X to get out the swirl marks and light scratches. (some still remain.) I also use Meguiar's Step 2 Pure Polish every once in a while before I wax. She glows!

FunkRider >> What is colour sanding? Is it expensive? I want to consider a mirror finish on my car too! (It's green).

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
MeanGreen said:
FunkRider >> What is colour sanding? Is it expensive? I want to consider a mirror finish on my car too! (It's green).
Obviously I'm not FunkRider, but I thought you might be interested in a on-line video tutorial that details color sanding. I thought it was good. You can find it, and other tutorials from Meguiar's here:

http://www.meguiars.com/clinics/clinics_template.cfm

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Collinite Marquis De Elegance.

Amazing stuff.

Washing isn't much more than rinsing the car. Even bird crap slides off wit ha rinse - 3 months later !

I had heard of it every once in a while but while watching the Barrett / Jackson auction with my son they spent some time talking about the detailing of the high end cars. Just about all of them use Collinite so I did some digging and finally found it.

25.00 a can, pure carnauba.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
98intrepidandrew said:
Nu-Finish

The once a year car polish.

And that's all she needs, too.

No such thing as a once a year polish unless you don't drive at all, and leave your car in the garage.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Hey guys, I use Eagle One's WAX AS-U-DRY. And yes, you wash the car and then spray it on a you chamois or wipe off your car and then buff. CHeck out my results here:

Scott's 1999 Freshly Waxed Chrysler Intrepid

Keep in mind that this is a 1999 that I purchased brand new on Dec. 28th,1999 and live in Canada where they put all kinds of **** on the road to give you traction.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts