DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at a local junkyard today and I noticed that some intrepids have fiberglass fenders and others (like mine) are metal? Does anybody know the reason why?

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Just a stab - but I think fiberglass were replacement panels.

The only body panels(besides bumper covers) that were not metal from the factory were factory aluminum hoods on the concorde and lhs

·
Dain bramaged
7,213 Posts
04IntrepidSXT said:
Just a stab - but I think fiberglass were replacement panels.

The only body panels(besides bumper covers) that were not metal from the factory were factory aluminum hoods on the concorde and lhs
negative..

93-95 are the dent resistive plastic.. 96-97's are metal..

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I think VeebOrg is right. If you have to replace one, you'll save a lot of frustration if you get the metal, from what the shop told me. The plastic ones are hard to fit up and change dimensions with temperature.

·
Registered
532 Posts
My 95 has the plastic ones. They are PIA to get off. They have a slide and lock piece which fits into the top of the bumper and there are 2 plastic pins that stick through the side of the engine compartment. I could not for the life of me figure out how to get those pins out to remove the fender so I busted them off. The fender will stay against the car good and tight w/out those two pins anyway.
I don’t get why just the 2 front fenders are plastic and everything else is metal.

-GB49

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
ok here it is the chrysler eagles and chrysler intrepids ( canada) dodge intrepid in (usa) were made with plastic fenders to make the car lighter for better gas mileage but they ran into a problem in the west usa the plastic would expand because of the temps and then you had trouble opening the doors so they went to the metal fenders to correct this if your replacing 1 fender i would use what you had on the car but this is my choice

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
CluelessinMO said:
I think VeebOrg is right. If you have to replace one, you'll save a lot of frustration if you get the metal, from what the shop told me. The plastic ones are hard to fit up and change dimensions with temperature.

Plus the metal ones are MUCH cheaper than the plastic ones. My ole '95 Intrepid had one plastic and one metal when I traded it in. :bouncgrin

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Veeb0rg said:
negative..

93-95 are the dent resistive plastic.. 96-97's are metal..
Oops - I was in 2g mode - and wildmans avatar threw me

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All...righty then, thanks guy's this makes lots of sence to me now. Seems like everyday I find out more weird little things about the Intrepid. God love them...

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I looked at a 95' Intrepid and it had metal fenders, but then again the car was also in a wreck and rebuilt off of a salvage title. I walked away and bought mine with both plastic fenders.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts