DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just picked up my first trep last night, 94 es with 3.5 with 84k miles on it. my first question is when i turn to the right it seems like it takes a split sec before car wants to go right :eek: 2nd question is: i have a whining noise coming from front of motor, on drivers side.sounds like power steering pump but i'm not sure, when i move steering wheel sound doesn't change. thanks in advance steve

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
70beeper383 said:
i checked it out more and i think its the belt tensioner, sound changes when i rev it up.
Could be the water pump about to let go. If that happens, it'll take out the timing belt.

Take off the accessory belts and run the car, if the noise is still there, look to the water pump.

·
Registered
417 Posts
70beeper383 said:
how hard is it to change water pump on 3.5?
Depends on how experienced you are. If you haven't done much engine work, then it could be pretty difficult.

The water pump on the 3.5L is located in the center of the engine. To get to it, you've got to remove the front stuctural crossmember, radiators, pulleys, front engine cover, and who knows what else. I elected to have mine replaced rather than do it myself -- had the water pump replaced, power steering pump replaced, new timing belt put on, new belts, and necessary fluids for a little less than $900.

You can see the water pump here (below the bolt the guy is loosening):

·
Registered
34 Posts
Have you checked fluid level for you power steering ?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts