DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I was messing around a few weeks ago with my tail light pieces.... Ya know, on 1st gens the piece that holds the reflector bars and the tail lights then bolts to the car? Well when my dad painted the car with spray paint, he did a horrible job, all he did was mask....

Well I figured since I had just nite shaded the tails and reflectors, I might as well clean that up a little with new paint, but the only problem was I had $0.87 can of Quick color all purpose spray enamel....

So I went ahead and took the risk and after I sanded the pieces I laid on 5 thin-medium layers of it, and it was looking fine, but not exactly how I wanted.... Then I rememebered I had a little nite shade left over, so I got a little adventurous....

I was worried that nite shade wouldn't stick properly to the Quick Color, so I put 2 layers of Dupli-Color Clear coat Acrylic Enamel.... I did 2 medium-thick coats, then I allowed a few hours to cure, then sanded slightly with 600 wet-or-dry

Immediately after I sprayed 2 coats of nite shade thin-medium coats, 10 minutes apart followed directly by 3 coats of the same clear. I wasn't worried about polishing them up to a mirror shine because I wanted to pull more attention to the tails. I believe they look pretty nice, way better than the faded and scratched black spray paint that was on there originally, I'm currently repeating the process on my speaker grills minus the sanding between clear and nite shade. I will post a picture of them when done, but here are the lights.

Being painted:

Off the car:

On the car (and yes that is a duct tape stripe, was getting the feel before I actually paint the car):

Also, can't forget the before picture LOL:

Just figured I'd let yo all know what I do when painting things black. Also I wanted to point out, that since nite shade now comes in red too, I'm sure the process could be done the same way for painting things red. Now if only they'd come out with other colors LOL

~Bryant

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, it's sad/irritating that he did that, but hey, it gives me a very valid reason to go all out on the paint when I do get the cash together, huh?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts