DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well since my car has been starting rougher than usual I decided to change the plugs(put in copper plus) it had been over 50k miles. Well, that didnt help so I have heard many people on this site runnin sea foam. I figured maybe the injectors were dirty. I had almost a full tank and the bottle said add 1 oz/ 1 gallon of fuel so I added half the can (8oz). I drove maybe 5 miles to my house and it threw a code, engine light on. Got code :brutal_08 21. I have had problems with this code before but hasnt been back in like 1.5 years. So, I cleared the codes(thought maybe it just got a high concentration). Well all was good for about a week. Stopped and filled up this morning drove for about 7miles and the damn things on again. So, the question: Do you think its coincidental or is it caused by the sea foam? Thanks

3.3 210k miles

·
Registered
646 Posts
If anything I think you should be thanking the sea foam because from what it looks like the stuff cleaned up your engine enough for the O2 sensor to throw a code. Code 21 is listed under the fault code thread as "O2 Sensor" so I would say if anything, sea foam didnt break anything, its showing you whats wrong.

Oh and keep in mind when I say that it might have- I really dont know that much about engines but from my very basic knowledge and seeing what the code is, and what sea foam does- this sounds like an intelligent guess :p

From my experience with seafoam in the gas tank, it usually runs alittle rougher when its going through because it doesnt combust as well, but it cleans up the engine and it performs alot better afterwards. Never any problems and I run sea foam through the tank every month, and I flush the engine with it every time I change my oil.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wasnt really knocking the product just wanted to get peoples attention. I added the rest into the oil and changed it over the weekend. Anyway what I dont understand is if it cleaned the engine why did it throw a code. If I had no codes previously why would putting that stuff in set the code. When I pulled the plugs they were white so its running lean which could be due to the O2 sensors but if my check engine light isnt on I can live with that, but now its on. Its a 97 so I have 4 sensors; actually I have brand new sensors at my house I think Im going to just change the upstreams.

·
Registered
646 Posts
i would guess that the sensor was going bad, and once it got cleaned up, it just died and is now throwing a code, thats what i was trying to say :p

·
Registered
299 Posts
read the bottle....it says when your tank is empty add the bottle then put the gas in...it mixes it. but i agree with japy

·
Registered
646 Posts
Teamhex2002 said:
read the bottle....it says when your tank is empty add the bottle then put the gas in...it mixes it. but i agree with japy
lol iv always done it opposite, but that makes more sense >_<

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Teamhex2002 said:
I just read the bottle it doesnt say that, but that is besides the point I changed the 2 upstream sensors and it seems to be running much better so it probably was the senros on the way out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts