DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, well my countdown's finally over to my driver's license, which I take the written-only test for tomorrow afternoon. Now this is only my G1, the first stage in licensing up here in Ontario - I'm required to drive with someone with 4+ years experience, however I'll still be behind the wheel, at last, of the '97 3.5 ES pictured in my sig.

I can't wait to finally see (legally :p) how the 'Trep drives. Any impressions, suggestions, stories on what it'll be like, would be great, for sure :biggrin: There are no doubt a ton of first-time-with-license stories out there too......let's hear!

Just thought I'd let out some of the eagerness I've had for the past few....years :rolleyes: Not that I haven't driven before - grandpa's Windstar out in the country - but at least it's legal now.

Thanks all....Ryan

·
Registered
802 Posts
The only thing that got me at first was not seeing the hood at all (maybe this is just in second gens, but all i pretty much see is the windshield wipers), so parking is fun for a while :)

Also, backing up, all i see is trunk. That's the only thing really. Other than that, it's a blast to drive around, great for cruising around with a bunch of friends (though you might have to wait for that). Definetly a lot of fun.

Good luck with the test!

-Adam

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Congrats man... Hey that pic looks familiar.. where did I see that before

The Trep is a great car and I'm sure you'll get many good years out of her.. Just treat her well! Good luck on your test.

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
MeanGreen said:
Congrats man... Hey that pic looks familiar.. where did I see that before

You been dreamin again Mean?

That's great Ryan. It's usually common sense questions. I wonder how many people that already have their licence would still pass. Good luck!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Happy Birthday man!

The test is pretty simple, just a few tricky questions. I got 1 question wrong out of 40 (i think it was 40)... That was 2 years ago though.

Have fun! I remember how eager I was to drive (and still am).. If I could drive all day/night long I would.:)

·
Garfield Rules
9,144 Posts
(Originally posted by skyst3alth)
The only thing that got me at first was not seeing the hood at all (maybe this is just in second gens, but all i pretty much see is the windshield wipers), so parking is fun for a while

Not true. That was thing that Scared me when I drove my mom's 95 Trep for the first time while driving in the high school parking lot. And scared me when I had to parallel park it between four poles with gard rails on them. Luckly the front was sitll their after I parked it :biggrin: Congrats

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
skyst3alth said:
The only thing that got me at first was not seeing the hood at all (maybe this is just in second gens, but all i pretty much see is the windshield wipers), so parking is fun for a while :)

Also, backing up, all i see is trunk. That's the only thing really. Other than that, it's a blast to drive around, great for cruising around with a bunch of friends (though you might have to wait for that). Definetly a lot of fun.

Good luck with the test!

-Adam
in our 94 New Yorker, I couldnt see the hood or the trunck, but I still loved that car , I find that viewablity in the 2nd gens is much better(driven Trep's and Corde's)

PS: I always drive with my headlights on, so i can use the reflection in the car infront of me to guage how close I am to them.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I was driving alone when I was 15 (school permit) and I drove myself to get my license. I can't even imagine how many miles I've driven since then. How many different types of licenses are there in Canada??

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Heh, when I first drove "legally" my dad told me to stop driving like him, and to not hang an arm out the window and drive all relaxed like or I woudln't pass :p

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
good luck man, the hardest thing to start with in these cars is just parking in a parking lot, i never did it b4 i got my lisecne so the first time i tried it i took it to shallow, in these cars you really need to go in wide to the spot.

·
Registered
205 Posts
that test was a joke.. i got 1 wrong on it and i started reading that drivers handbook on the way to writing my test while my dad was driving me there

i also learned to drive in an intrepid and it got handed down to me when i got my g2

i still love this car... infact, i just got the wheel bearing replaced today.. ohhhh mama

she runs like new again.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I'm an official G1-licensed driver now :D Test went very well on Monday, and my dad let me drive the 'Trep home from my rowing practise - about 25km, mostly country but I did come back into town to get home.

hehe After feeling the ample reserves of power that car has, I don't know why the hell someone would need a high-performance car :rolleyes: (lol Don't slam me for that, performance enthusiasts....remember I've just started on the road and speed is a tricky thing right now). Now I did take it pretty slow, only about 2800rpm at the shifts, but aha, that's where it's peak torque is found (3.5L). Very nice drive indeed, and it's actually going in today to have the A/C compressor replaced (cold air for the summer), a flush of ATF+4 and anti-foam, and the couple squeaks and rattles I mentioned in the 1st gen form a while ago, addressed.

Thanks for the support everyone, makes it a great experience :wink:

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Nice Job! Congrats!

The first time you plan on flooring it, you may **** yourself, its a lot of power to a new driver. ;) Be careful it gets up past double the posted speed limites really really quick.

Even now, my friends are still at the point where my car is the fastest car they've been in. Guess not everyone has an uncle with a big block vette. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts