DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat banner

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after all the headaches I went through tearing My 2.7L apart, I came to realize that its not worth it doing a rebuild. So I decided to search and price out a 3.5L engine, found one in a 300M, with 113K For $750, Is this a good buy or no?. It ran, They started it up infront of Me, It ran with no issues, I have a pic and vid.
But anyway, moving on, I'm starting this thread to sought help and advice, and in hopes of doing a successful swap. I'm going to study the guides provided in the threads on here abt doing swaps. But if You good folks have any other advice or Info You can give Me? Any caution I should Oserve Or just generally what I need to do, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Youtube Link https://youtu.be/R_uKrDsrtuM

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
Sounds like you made a good decision. Hope it works out.

With the 3.5 and 2.7 gearing, it should be pretty zippy.

Don't forget to put a new timing belt and water pump on that one if it hasn't been done. Get OEM water pump. That oil around the MTV actuator can be fixed with an o-ring - ebay, Viton, bag of ten for about $10, standard size 136

·
Registered
14,761 Posts
If they are selling the complete 300m car with a running 3.5L for $750... better jump on it. Are you able to get the car towed to your house?

What year is your 2.7L and that 300M? Once you reply back with both years, then we'll be able to tell you how easy a swap is or what is needed. Then we can also state what interior parts are swap-able.

·
Registered
14,761 Posts
Seems that car is an early '98 due to the front radiator cover. As Peva said, seems the MTV O-ring has gone bad.

·
Woober Goobers!
49,558 Posts
I suggest Contacting Dan and getting his book on the swap. I believe he still sells them.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks Peva, I'll go get the Water pump, Timing Belt and Standard Viton O-Rings Now. I'm new to the 3.5L Engine, So I'll have alot to get familiar with, I didn't know what "MTV" Mean.. But Its Manifold Tunning Valve, Hope I'm Right?

@ Scooter - No Chris, They Won't let Me tow the car, Some Motor Vehicle restrictions/Policy stuff, they said. They however, said they'll uproot any part I needed. (So You It'll be wise to know as Much of everything that I'll need, so that they can pull it at Once - You know how these things can get?, before they flip the Script on Me)

My car is a 2001 SE Trep, They told Me the 300M is a 2000 Mod Yr.. ? Idk what a "98 looks like Just looking at it [I hope they are giving Me the correct Info about the car?? :(] It'll kinda suck if its a "98 Engine, SmH.. dont know if it'll make any much diff, But I always believer That - Newer is Always Better.

This is Not Related to The Thread, But I wanted to reply to You guys seperately in one message, but dont know how to do that. What is this "Multi Quote" Thing? and how do I use it? is that how You reply to each person with their Previous Mssgs?

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
The 300M in your photo is between 1999 and 2001.
They started building the 300s in 1998 and were first sold as 1999s.
There is a sticker on the driver door jamb (same as your Trep)
that states the Year of Mfg.

Dan's swap manual will list everything you need from that 300 to do the swap.
It's not a big list but it makes it easier to work off of the list and grab everything
you need at one time.

So I decided to search and price out a 3.5L engine, found one in a 300M, with 113K For $750. It ran, They started it up infront of Me, It ran with no issues, I have a pic and vid.
Did you see the mileage for yourself?

·
Premium Member
3,260 Posts
@ Scooter - No Chris, They Won't let Me tow the car, Some Motor Vehicle restrictions/Policy stuff, they said. They however, said they'll uproot any part I needed. (So You It'll be wise to know as Much of everything that I'll need, so that they can pull it at Once - You know how these things can get?, before they flip the Script on Me)
There may be an insurance requirement in your state that says if a wheel of the car is on the road, then it must be insured. However, if you have it carried on a flatbed this is no longer an issue. It wouldn't hurt to ask.

Do all you need to get ALL the parts required for your swap. If they won't let you have the car to grab parts, document that the required (and listed) parts are part of your deal. In writing please. Don't end up paying more because you have to go back to them for something missing.

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
I just edited my previous post. Where I said "With the 3.5 and 2.7, it should be pretty zippy.", I meant to say "With the 3.5 and 2.7 gearing, it should be pretty zippy."

Thanks Peva, I'll go get the Water pump, Timing Belt and Standard Viton O-Rings Now. I'm new to the 3.5L Engine, So I'll have alot to get familiar with, I didn't know what "MTV" Mean.. But Its Manifold Tunning Valve, Hope I'm Right?
You're welcome. Yes - MTV is what you said.

This is Not Related to The Thread, But I wanted to reply to You guys seperately in one message, but dont know how to do that. What is this "Multi Quote" Thing? and how do I use it? is that how You reply to each person with their Previous Msgs?
So if you want to quote Bubba, Billy Bob, and Rufus in the same message, you hit 'Multi+' in Bubba's post, then hit 'Multi+' in Billy Bob's post, and then hit 'Quote' in Rufus's post, and their posts will show up in that order in your post - then you just add what you want after each of their posts. So you hit 'Multi+' for each person you want to quote, except hit 'Quote' for the last person you're quoting.

You can also manually copy/paste someone's post and put 'quote="the posters name" ' in square brackets before, and '/quote' in square brackets after what you copy/pasted. Just hit 'Quote' on any post to see what that looks like and you'll see what I mean. Using "Multi+" just does all that for you automatically for quoting several people in one post.

·
Woober Goobers!
49,558 Posts
You'll need A/C lines, etc. Dan's manual will outline all that.

Make sure you get the entire engine wiring harness and that they don't cut any of it, etc.

Again...get Dan's manual.

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
Besides getting all the engine peripherals (alternator, power steering pump, etc.) with the 3.5 (because the ones from the 2.7 absolutely will not fit), I *highly* recommend getting the a.c. compressor and the three main a.c. hoses (suction, discharge, and liquid) from the M. I believe you can make the 2.7 a.c. lines work - with some bending - but if you want the job to be the easiest and to look factory when you are done, use the compressor and those 3 lines from the 3.5 (all other a.c. hardware is the same on the two cars).

Ahh - I see that Ron just posted about the a.c. lines. Dan's manual tells you how to do it using either the 2.7 a.c. compressor and lines *or* using the 3.5 compressor and lines. Again, I would recommend doing the latter if you can for a cleaner and easier job. And that is what Ron is suggesting too.

If you do that, keep the 2.7 compressor as a spare. You can convert the 2.7 compressor to a 3.2/3.5 compressor at any time by swapping the heads/manifolds and clutch pulleys between the compressors. That will save you some trouble and expense down the road if your compressor conks out.

·
Woober Goobers!
49,558 Posts
I'd also get the complete exhaust if it's in good shape and cheap enough. keeps you from having to cut one of the exhaust pipes I believe on the 2.7 exhaust. Dan's manual outlines all that.

I'd also get the PCM/TCM. Along with the SKIM module and keys. That way you'll be running on the correct fuel table for the 3.5 on the PCM. Use your current TCM with your current transmission with the 2.7 gearing to keep the speedo correct. BCM if you can get it.

Basically everything in the engine compartment if you can afford it!

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
I'd also get the complete exhaust if it's in good shape and cheap enough. keeps you from having to cut one of the exhaust pipes I believe on the 2.7 exhaust. Dan's manual outlines all that...
Second choice, if you can get just the passenger-side catalytic converter pipe to cleanly separate from the down-pipe on both vehicles, is to swap just the passenger-side cat pipes. Distant third choice to either of those 2 options is to re-use/leave in place the complete 2.7 exhaust and adjust (cut and splice) the length of that passenger-side cat pipe.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Would like to take the easiest route...

Second choice, if you can get just the passenger-side catalytic converter pipe to cleanly separate from the down-pipe on both vehicles, is to swap just those two pipes. Distant third choice to either of those 2 options is to re-use/leave in place the complete 2.7 exhaust and adjust (cut and splice) the length of that passenger-side cat pipe.
I really wounldn't like to cut/splice anything, I just want something as direct fit as possible to make it a lot easier. If getting both exhausts/downpipes from the 3.5 while its hooked up is the easiest, Then that's the route I'd prefer to go, provided I can somehow unbolt downpipes in My 2.7 and Just bolt on the one in the 3.5?
Or which is the easiest/"Less Invasive"?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This 3.5 - It keeps getting interesting. How easy/difficult is it 2Change the Speedo?

I'd also get the complete exhaust if it's in good shape and cheap enough. keeps you from having to cut one of the exhaust pipes I believe on the 2.7 exhaust. Dan's manual outlines all that.

I'd also get the PCM/TCM. Along with the SKIM module and keys. That way you'll be running on the correct fuel table for the 3.5 on the PCM. Use your current TCM with your current transmission with the 2.7 gearing to keep the speedo correct. BCM if you can get it.

Basically everything in the engine compartment if you can afford it!
Sorry Fellas, I haven't been able to reply since Yesterday, I was at work, got off 12MN. Been reading up as Much as I could about this new Engine that I'm going to be messing with.
But, I could probably get the complete exhaust Off the 300M, If its a direct install/Bolt On In the 2.7 W/O Welding anything?.. I Could also possibly get the PCM/TCM and BCM. Now, its My 1st time hearing "SKIM Module and Keys" I Just read a little about it, Its "Sentry Key Immobilizer Module" If I understood it right, that's the Remote Key Fob Thing Right? Or Wrong? The Lil Thing You Use to Lock/Unlock The Car?. If So, Yes the 300M has its Own, It was in the Ignition along with The "KEY". Or is there another Separate "Computer" For this so called "SKIM" under the hood somewhere? I could probably ask them to remove it for Me too, if possible.

·
Woober Goobers!
49,558 Posts
All 300m have SKIM. The Fob is just a Keyless Entry Remote. Basically the Fob is an unlocking remote.

Forgot you have a 2001 which might throw a wrench into some things for wiring. I believe the Ambient Temp Sensor is routed to the BCM on 1998-2000 cars and in 2002-2004 cars that sensor is routed to the PCM. I forget if the change happened in 2001.

The 2.7 PCM you have now won't have the programming for the MTV and SRV on the 3.5 engine. If you wanted the 3.5 PCM in your car you'd need to get the PCM/SKIM Module/Keys as a set. The 300m SKIM keys are chipped and the SKIM module which goes around the ignition cylinder reads the chips and communicates with the PCM that the key is correct etc.

Now if the 2001 has the Ambient Temp changeover to the PCM then that will probably throw a wrench in the swap. The 3.5 engine will run off your 2.7 PCM but you won't have the few extra ponies from the SRT/MTV valves because the 2.7 PCM won't have the programming.

A lot more variables going on due to your original car being a 2001 where Chrysler started transitioning to a single Combined PCM/TCM.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This Dan's Manual? How much does it Cost?.. I've Seen Several Of That Write-Up

Make sure you get the entire engine wiring harness and that they don't cut any of it, etc.

Again...get Dan's manual.[/QUOTE]

Ok, So Dan is DayTrepper Right? Or TrepCruisin? Or Both.... And this Dan's Manual does it also Have Photos? To go along with The Write-Up? It'll make it a whole lot easier [For Me at least] Cos I'm a Visual Person.
Also, The Manual, Is it any Different from These Write-Up's That I've on here? And On Several Other Sites He also posted this One on Dodge Talk Site http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151694 . Also this One http://www.dodgeintrepid.net/showthread.php?t=39677 .Also this One http://www.dodgeintrepid.net/showthread.php?t=252906 with the Link to Ebay Ad for it, But Idk if its still Selling... ?
If Its Pretty Much the same thing, I can Work Off that One. Cos Its pretty Much covering Most of the Stuff You guys are telling Me here.. Although I'm not quite following/Understanding all Of it. That means I'll have to read, Understand and familiarize Myself with all those Parts, Computers and Modules e.t.c.
But Let Me know guys if its the Same manual that I'm Looking at?

Thanks Guys

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This Dan's Manual? How much does it Cost?.. I've Seen Several Of That Write-Up

Again...get Dan's manual.[/QUOTE]

Ok, So Dan is DayTrepper Right? Or TrepCruisin? Or Both.... And this Dan's Manual does it also Have Photos? To go along with The Write-Up? It'll make it a whole lot easier [For Me at least] Cos I'm a Visual Person.
Also, The Manual, Is it any Different from These Write-Up's That I've on here? And On Several Other Sites He also posted this One on Dodge Talk Site http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151694 . Also this One http://www.dodgeintrepid.net/showthread.php?t=39677 .Also this One http://www.dodgeintrepid.net/showthread.php?t=252906 with the Link to Ebay Ad for it, But Idk if its still Selling... ?
If Its Pretty Much the same thing, I can Work Off that One. Cos Its pretty Much covering Most of the Stuff You guys are telling Me here.. Although I'm not quite following/Understanding all Of it. That means I'll have to read, Understand and familiarize Myself with all those Parts, Computers and Modules e.t.c.
But Let Me know guys if its the Same manual that I'm Looking at?

Thanks Guys

·
Woober Goobers!
49,558 Posts
Dan=Daytrepper.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok, Good & Great Info. So What I have to do to avoid any of these Problems? Please :(

All 300m have SKIM. The Fob is just a Keyless Entry Remote. Basically the Fob is an unlocking remote.

Forgot you have a 2001 which might throw a wrench into some things for wiring. I believe the Ambient Temp Sensor is routed to the BCM on 1998-2000 cars and in 2002-2004 cars that sensor is routed to the PCM. I forget if the change happened in 2001.

The 2.7 PCM you have now won't have the programming for the MTV and SRV on the 3.5 engine. If you wanted the 3.5 PCM in your car you'd need to get the PCM/SKIM Module/Keys as a set. The 300m SKIM keys are chipped and the SKIM module which goes around the ignition cylinder reads the chips and communicates with the PCM that the key is correct etc.

Now if the 2001 has the Ambient Temp changeover to the PCM then that will probably throw a wrench in the swap. The 3.5 engine will run off your 2.7 PCM but you won't have the few extra ponies from the SRT/MTV valves because the 2.7 PCM won't have the programming.

A lot more variables going on due to your original car being a 2001 where Chrysler started transitioning to a single Combined PCM/TCM.
Now, I'm getting Scared with all these Potential BCM, SKIM, PCM and wiring problems now, Please is there a solution to it? What/How do I do it correctly?
Can some one Help Me contact Dan to See if He has an Opinion/Solution to it Please? I sent Him a Mssg On Ebay On the Expired Ad He had for The Manual.
Its Time for Me to go to work Now.

1 - 20 of 117 Posts