DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yup, the 'Trep CEL came on Friday,as I was following some lost tourists
on a river road...At my next stop I checked the codes, and there it was, P0432!
Hadn't seen any codes for a long time,and I realized that this was the way
the ECU sees if you're paying attention, and you still know how to fix it!
Sort of a quiz, a system check of the operator.
Cleared the code, no more probs...

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,838 Posts
This is a catalyst efficiency code -- bank 2... It suggests catalytic converter problems... It will come back, give it about 100-200 miles.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, maybe...
It's been showing up, maybe this is third time since 3.2 upgrade...at least 10 or so 6k oil changes back since I saw it last.
What -you don't believe in higher 'trep intelligence?

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,838 Posts
The "higher intelligence" is supposta disappear in the first 100 miles after the swap.

Every time I see that code its a bad cat.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"When Cats go bad..."
film at eleven!

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,838 Posts
There ya go! Horror stories of cats going bad! Tonight on 60 minutes.....

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,838 Posts
Just curious, did either of you have milky oil in your 2.7's, or were they smoking (blue or white thru exhaust) before they blew?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Even though I went a teeeensy bit too long between oil changes, I never had sludge. Before the 2.7 died, it was using oil like crazy! I was adding oil like every couple of weeks! I had bluish white smoke from the exhaust when I accelerated fast & light white smoke while idling.

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,838 Posts
dafella said:
Even though I went a teeeensy bit too long between oil changes, I never had sludge. Before the 2.7 died, it was using oil like crazy! I was adding oil like every couple of weeks! I had bluish white smoke from the exhaust when I accelerated fast & light white smoke while idling.

Theres the cause of your P0432. The converters in these cars are made of a crap wire mesh treated with the catalyst, rather than the ceramic-type converters that are used in many other vehicles. Our converters can barely stand any oil-burning, misfires, or antifreeze smoke. The catalyst in the crap wire mesh gets destroyed easily, and before you know it, "check engine", and P0432, P0431, or P0430. These converters do last for a while as long as they dont get contaminated by oil, antifreeze, etc. Most ceramic converters can stand that without loosing their catalyst.

P0432 and the other two codes are set when the pre and post cat O2 sensors detect no change (or not enough for the PCM) in the amount of oxygen entering and leaving the converter. O2 sensors should be checked before replacing cats anytime, but with these codes, its the cat 90% of the time. Bad O2's usually set their own specific codes.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Codes

I saw the part about checking the codes by turning the key three times without letting the car start, but how do you clear the codes? I can't find that anywhere.

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,838 Posts
drynoc said:
I saw the part about checking the codes by turning the key three times without letting the car start, but how do you clear the codes? I can't find that anywhere.
Either disconnect the battery for 10 minutes, or go to Autozone. They will clear them for free.

·
Registered
347 Posts
32Intrepid said:
Theres the cause of your P0432. The converters in these cars are made of a crap wire mesh treated with the catalyst, rather than the ceramic-type converters that are used in many other vehicles. Our converters can barely stand any oil-burning, misfires, or antifreeze smoke. The catalyst in the crap wire mesh gets destroyed easily, and before you know it, "check engine", and P0432, P0431, or P0430. These converters do last for a while as long as they dont get contaminated by oil, antifreeze, etc. Most ceramic converters can stand that without loosing their catalyst.

P0432 and the other two codes are set when the pre and post cat O2 sensors detect no change (or not enough for the PCM) in the amount of oxygen entering and leaving the converter. O2 sensors should be checked before replacing cats anytime, but with these codes, its the cat 90% of the time. Bad O2's usually set their own specific codes.
So, what's problems can occur from riding around with this code for a prolonged amount of time?

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No Smoke...no milk..

32Intrepid said:
Just curious, did either of you have milky oil in your 2.7's, or were they smoking (blue or white thru exhaust) before they blew?
Nope.
First the cam chain stretched and took teeth off the water pump.
After a 'dealer' fix, either a rod or crank bearing spun that prompted a 3.2 upgrade. (haven't tore the 2.7 down, yet...)

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,838 Posts
dafella said:
So, what's problems can occur from riding around with this code for a prolonged amount of time?
Should not cause any damage. As long as the 3.2 is running ok and did not cause the damage to the cat from a misfire, lean condition etc. But hopefully if that was the case you would have more DTC's.

alarkyokie said:
Nope.
First the cam chain stretched and took teeth off the water pump.
After a 'dealer' fix, either a rod or crank bearing spun that prompted a 3.2 upgrade. (haven't tore the 2.7 down, yet...)
Just worn out "dead cat" then. I would get the fuel trims checked to make sure your not running lean or anything. But then again you would probably have other codes...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts