DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I was goin through a town called Waupaca, in central Wisconsin, which is about 45 miles from where I live and I was cruisin about 85 (I was on the highway) and I seen a plain white Crown Vic a ways in front of me goin pretty slow. I was a little suspicious of it bein a cop cause the liscence plate looked dark (The cops have dark tan plates) so i slowed down a little but kept gaining on him. As soon as he went around a small corner, my headlights reflected off his lightbar in the back window so I slowed way down to the speed he was goin. I followed him for about a mile untill he pulled off to the shoulder and let me by and then pulled back in behind me. By then my pulse was pounding (im 17, I cant afford a ticket) and i was watchin him in the rearview keepin a steady 65 MPH. Thenn the lights came on, "ohh ****". He walked up to the car right away and told me to get out and walk to the front of my car. He pointed out that I have 6 lights (2 headlights and 4 fogs) and that im only allowed to have 4. He told me to shut the blue ones in the middle off and glanced at my liscence quick and told me to have a nice night. He didnt give me a ticket or say anything about my blue blinker bulbs or even about comin up on him so fast, so i guess i got off lucky, he was really nice about it, which is usually my luck, i havent had a bad cop yet.

·
Speed is Power
6,683 Posts
Well thats good. I never heard the 4 lights up front rule. Maybe its a good thing I decided not to put the foglights on my car.

I hope you have learned your lesson and will be removing those lights or putting them on a toggle switch.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea i have them on a toggle on the dash so i shut them off right away.

·
Speed is Power
6,683 Posts
You got blue turn signals?

If I was you I would just get rid of anything like that. Its not worth it unless you go to carshows and show them. Your lucky that you got the nice cops but you will get an ass someday. Believe that.

·
Registered
30 Posts
It's true you were lucky. If you really can't afford a ticket, which at 17 I doubt you can.. I know I couldnt... then I would suggest you get rid of the blues and the extra fogs. No reason to call the cops to you.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well i asked the cops where i live in a small town if any of the lights would be a problem and they said no as long as i dont have them aimed to high. And with the signals they said that there bright enough to see during the day so there fine too.

·
Speed is Power
6,683 Posts
Well if thats the case then I would keep them and when you get a ticket from another place then see what the cops say.

I had a blue license plate light and drove almost a year with it in town. Local PD and Sheriff both have followed me and nothing they didnt care. I was on the interstate passed a state tropper and got a ticket for it. The reason was some cops/pd relax on things like this but its all about the state code book. Which like you said in WI you can only have 4 lights upfront

·
Registered
298 Posts
Here in florida it's illegal to use your fogs unless it's foggy out. Same with brights, you can't use them unless you're going down a road with no other cars and no street lights.
But doesnt that make sense?

·
Registered
931 Posts
Here in florida it's illegal to use your fogs unless it's foggy out. Same with brights, you can't use them unless you're going down a road with no other cars and no street lights.
I used to drive with my foglights on in my R/T all the time when it was dark... never got pulled over or a second glance from any cops.

My foglights now are integrated into my headlights, so it is harder to tell they are on - but still not a second glance from the cops.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I guess they would be driving lights then, cause there bright white.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Apparently they have a code on how many lights you can have up front, but not on the color in Wisconsin.

Here in Florida, if you have blue lights like that, you're violating the florida traffic statutes. The statutes here tell how many you can have, and of what color. Generally speaking, if you're not a tow truck, police, fire truck, or ambulance you are only allowed to have white or yellow lights. Blue, red, and purple are restricted to specialty fields.

They even go as far as to say when those special colored lights can be used. Example: tow trucks are only allowed to have their flashing lights on when they are towing a car that is at risk in falling apart. So a cop that wants to be a real stickler can pull over a tow truck for having flashing lights on when the car they're towing was only broken down, not in a crash...

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Are you guys talking about fog lights, or driving lights? Fog are amber, driving lights are white.
No. While traditional foglights (that actually got used as fog lights, and not fashion statements) were often amber, the actual definition of fog versus driving light is their beam patterns.

Foglights are super wide scattered beam, aimed low. Driving lights are narrow long range lights that extends past even high beams.

If you put an amber filter on a driving light it's still a driving light; it'll be insanely bright and still illegal unless highbeams are called for.

·
Speed is Power
6,683 Posts
I removed the reflectors on my fog lights so that I would get an even glow out of them

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I removed the reflectors on my fog lights so that I would get an even glow out of them
Are them the little metal bowl lookin things that sit right under the bulb?

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have been genuinely nice and polite to every cop who ever pulled me over. Never any attitude on my part. I can only remember one cop who was having either a bad personality day or perhaps it was lifelong pattern. I can also honestly say I have been given warnings more often than tickets, including two speeding tickets that would have been 20+ over the limit.

They have a job to do and I can respect that, or at least fake it long enough.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts