Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's full details on everything I had to install and how/when I did it:
http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=166066

Problems:
1) getting some (physical) bussing around front speakers
2) back speakers distort at about half volume
3) Get a high pitched shrill that is equal to how fast my engine is reving, only when audio system is engaged. It's not that loud, but it's constant volume, so it's noticable when the system is turned down
4) After about half an hour of use, amp was hot as FUUUUUUCK

Current amp settings:
fronts: mid-high only
back: full

gains (both): 1/3rd

Possible fixes:
1) Dynamat/remount speaker/crossover/grille
2) Possibly cut out top of the back covering and just use grille for speaker (as it currently stands the top of the back covering MIGHT be touching the top of the speaker, which would interfere w/the physical movement of the cone.. possibly
3) NO CLUE - PLEASE HELP
4) NO CLUE - PLEASE HELP

Any and all help is appreciated. Keep in mind, I am a noob. This is my first install w/runnig wire. This is my first install w/an amp of any kind whatsoever. I'm sure I made some noob mistakes.

Thanks

·
Registered
734 Posts
Phrozt said:
Here's full details on everything I had to install and how/when I did it:
http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=166066

Problems:
1) getting some (physical) bussing around front speakers
2) back speakers distort at about half volume
3) Get a high pitched shrill that is equal to how fast my engine is reving, only when audio system is engaged. It's not that loud, but it's constant volume, so it's noticable when the system is turned down
4) After about half an hour of use, amp was hot as FUUUUUUCK

Current amp settings:
fronts: mid-high only
back: full

gains (both): 1/3rd

Possible fixes:
1) Dynamat/remount speaker/crossover/grille
2) Possibly cut out top of the back covering and just use grille for speaker (as it currently stands the top of the back covering MIGHT be touching the top of the speaker, which would interfere w/the physical movement of the cone.. possibly
3) NO CLUE - PLEASE HELP
4) NO CLUE - PLEASE HELP

Any and all help is appreciated. Keep in mind, I am a noob. This is my first install w/runnig wire. This is my first install w/an amp of any kind whatsoever. I'm sure I made some noob mistakes.

Thanks
do you have the main power wire for the amp on the opposite side of the car as the speaker wires?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All info is in that URL, and yes.

Also, please review the pictures in that thread... it might answer some questions

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
someone else mentioned that perhaps the reason my amp was getting hot is because of a grounding issue, but I can't think of where the ground could be bad. I yanked on the ground to the chassis, the sheathing there, the connection to the amp, and all the other places that the power cable is broken or connected, and it's all very secure and free of other connections. You can see the chassis ground on the top far right here:

·
Registered
6,362 Posts
What part of the amp is getting hot? I've never owned an MA Audio Amp before so I cant guess how hot they get but I know particular amps will heat up only so much before they go into protect mode. If you are going into protect mode, then you have a problem but perhaps the amp is just really hot by nature.

I can't see your ground all that well... is your terminal in contact with bare metal?

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Phrozt said:
someone else mentioned that perhaps the reason my amp was getting hot is because of a grounding issue, but I can't think of where the ground could be bad. I yanked on the ground to the chassis, the sheathing there, the connection to the amp, and all the other places that the power cable is broken or connected, and it's all very secure and free of other connections. You can see the chassis ground on the top far right here:

In that pic, you have your power wire laying over the top of you ground wire, separate them. And also, make the ground wire as short as possible.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
And sitting there. you amp has no room for air to circulate under it, especially on a "carpeted" surface.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
that was.. just a really bad pic

I took it in the middle of installing everything.. half of those wires weren't even connected yet.

I just threw it up there for reference to the ground.

As it stands, it IS sitting on the floor, but all wires are running on their own side and are separated.

·
Registered
715 Posts
did you trim down some of those wires?? especially the ground wire?? also, if you damaged the rca, replace. don't try to fix yourself. i just replaced my rears (alpine) and they clear just fine and sit out 3/4". the fronts tweeters' have some pressure from the grills, but zero buzzing (bussing??). did you verify +/- wires? as far as the amp getting hot, be sure to not just let it sit on the carpet. put something under it that will help dissipate the heat a little better than carpet. keep us posted....

--rudy--

1 - 12 of 12 Posts