DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering around the store the other day getting some stuff for the car and noticed the cone assembly that fits on the end of the CAI sitting all alone. Talking with a couple friends who are really into the lighter weight cars and trucks they have said that fitting the cone onto the existing intake will save you a good $100.

However, I have yet to see any pictures or hear of anyone here to do it. Is it not possible? It looks like you'd just fit it onto the existing pipe with a little extension and remove the airbox. If I were to do this, would I need to invest in a wall between the engine and the filter aswell? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Ka Mate said:
I was wondering around the store the other day getting some stuff for the car and noticed the cone assembly that fits on the end of the CAI sitting all alone. Talking with a couple friends who are really into the lighter weight cars and trucks they have said that fitting the cone onto the existing intake will save you a good $100.

However, I have yet to see any pictures or hear of anyone here to do it. Is it not possible? It looks like you'd just fit it onto the existing pipe with a little extension and remove the airbox. If I were to do this, would I need to invest in a wall between the engine and the filter aswell? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You can grab a small air pipe extension at Auto Zone and use that to hook the cone to the accordion tube.
It would be a good idea to get rid of the accordion tube. All the ridges just create turbulence (IMO.) The smoother the pipe, the better the airflow.

EDIT :
The wall between the filter (aftermarket CAI) and the engine is a heat shield. Self-explanatory to what it does.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Scarface said:
...The wall between the filter (aftermarket CAI) and the engine is a heat shield. Self-explanatory to what it does.
Kind of hard to have a true CAI without one :p
LOL

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
02R/T said:
Kind of hard to have a true CAI without one :p
LOL
I'm having a ****load of fun trying to put the heat shield into REVENGE. amp wires and alarm wires are in the way...The JoeKD intake is a very nice addition though!

EDIT :
Isn't it scary that I'm giving out serious answers with all the thread hijacking I've committed in the past few months?

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
You're friend's response is very typical. Someone into "lighter" cars cough <ricer> cough would go with a cheap half assed way of doing a mod. Sure you can just put a cone on the end, but you'll only reap half the benefits of doing a full intake. You should get rid of that stupid wavy tube and the extra resonator box. The whole purpose of both of those is to quiet the intake as much as possible with the sacrifice of creating turbulance that slows down the airflow.

Also if you go with Joe's intake, he bores out the restrictive tb bend.

So the simple answer is yes you can do it, but you're only saving money because you're getting what you pay for.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Phuckin Phil said:
Many members have already done this. Frankly, I don't think the amount of weight added by an actual cold air intake is going to slow you down or cost that much more.
I thought the JoeKD CAI and the stock intake weighed about the same.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all your wisdom. I might consider the chrome intake again then, trying to get away from the ricey stuff and go for quality. One more question though, may sound kinda dumb, but whatever, heat shield is required then?

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
Ka Mate said:
One more question though, may sound kinda dumb, but whatever, heat shield is required then?
its not required, but you are installing a Cold Air Intake (CAI) the heat from the motor will have you installing a HAI (Hot Air Intake) if you are going for just looks, no biggie, but, if you wish a performance gain (very minimal gains BTW) you will need to shield the filter from the warm air from around the motor, and what flows back from the radiator.

HTH
Bruce

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
Minimal gain? Are you saying the heat shield will be a minimal hp gain or that the whole intake will be minimal?

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Over all it will be minimal, (the heat shild will help). But it is part of a system. You want to reduse the restriction in the whole system. The engine is a air pump, basicly. If you decrease the restrictions, on the intake it will run better, if you also reduce the restrictions on the exhaust side it will run even better. Cold air gives more power (condensed) then warmer air. (I believe it is every 8 deg colder, gives 1 hp more power). (other factors contrubute also,like BMPressure and humity).
If you think of it as a water pump (engine) and you increase the hose size going into, and out of the pump the pump will pump more water.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Slapping a cone on the end of the accordion tube and resonator box will yield almost no improvement. The REAL restriction is the tubing and resonator, the turbulence in these is INSANE.

In fact, according to JoeKD, the kit with the cone and the kit that uses the stock airbox give the SAME performance gain!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts