DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I'm new to the board but have been watching for a couple of months. Thanks for all of y'alls info.

Have a 93 Intrepid ES with 3.5, 107K miles, car is in great shape except:

Needs transmission - I have replaced sensors, then took it to a shop my boss has used for 25 years. They worked on it for 2 days for only $75 diagnostic fee. They say it has an internal leak and must be rebuilt. I'm not wild about the boneyard tranny route.

Needs struts

A/C needs repair - I already replaced the evaporator core and compressor, I suspect it's the condenser. Shouldn't be too costly to repair.

Given that this car has a Kelly BB value of $2,800, hard to justify the repairs. My question is should I: a) fix it; b) part it out; or c) dump it? I don't really like the idea of dumping it on someone else.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Throw a new tranny in it. Easy to do, and you get more miles from the car.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
If all you need the car for is to get you from point A to B then go ahead and get a 2nd gen transmission and install that. The transmission from a 2nd gen will last you for a while. If you absolutely have to replace the AC and struts then junk it, but if all you need the car for is to get around the get a new transmission and save for the rest of the stuff to get fixed.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Kill it. Those early years will need engine and transmission mounts, cradle bushings, suspension parts, intake gaskets, rack, basically it will dollar you to death over time. Electrical system isn't the strongest, either.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for y'alls input. I think I'm gonna ditch it. Too bad cause the cars in awesome shape otherwise. Anyone wanna buy a 3.5 with 107.5K miles on it. I'll sell other parts as well. Good wheels (if you like gold centers), body, most of interior. I think I'm gonna cry!

·
Registered
683 Posts
Too bad these cars just don't keep their value. If you have the money and were satisfied with your car, try out a second gen.

·
Registered
424 Posts
if you can get it to IA, i'll take it off your hands. I'm looking for another one to stick a tranny in, but that's a long drive to pick one up.
-Taaf-

·
Registered
99 Posts
Still running and moving? Limp mode or not? Does it leak out of the transmission or just back into the pan? Other symptoms? I'm in the Fort Worth area, you think it'd make a trip up here? How much you want for the whole thing? I may be able to trade you my 1996 Ciera for it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
To occupant,

I'm absolutely certain it would make it to Ft. Worth. Once I get it to shift, it does great on the road. Let me know if you're serious. We can make a deal 'cause I just made a deal on eBay to buy a Caddy.

Let me know,

[email protected]

P.S. I hate to junk it cause in the hands of the right owner it could be a nice car. Smoked in though, and there are a few smokers dings on the rear seats. Also, the AC doesn't work, but all the expensive stuff (compressor and evaporator core) were replaced in September. I believe the fault to be the condenser mounted in front of radiator and is neither expensive nor difficult to repair or replace. Let me know if you're interested.

Not leaking, just internal. No spots on the ground.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts