DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are 2 things wrong with my car now & they cost about the same to fix & im having trouble deciding wich to do.

one is that all of my struts are crap - simple. the other is i need some body work done on the front cause of some idiot.
most treps i see on the road look not so good, mine is 99% perfect cept for the front

i can only fix 1 thing now

what do yall think?

[Sent via T-Mobile V360]

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Well. how bad are your struts? How do you know they are crap? What are the indications?

I would say fix the running gear first. Safety issues.

Got a picture of the damage? Maybe it's not as bad as you think? I know when I get a rock chip nobody notices but to me it looks like someone ripped half the paint off the hood.

Cheers

BJ

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the car runs great i believe just the struts are bad... real bouncy and mushy - the front bumper has a crack in it by the fog and from the fog or so up the paint is flaking off and looks real junky. luckly its all urathane so its not rusting or anything...
what is the worst that could happen with horrid struts besides bad cornering and tire wear?
bad paint is embarrasing

[Sent via T-Mobile U360]

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Well, bad corning and tire wear should be enough I would think, but questionable handling in an avoidance manuver would be another (excess body role and poor damping).
Not to mention a crappy and unpleasant ride.
I used to check shocks in the good ol' days by pushing down on one corner of the car, it sohould come back up and bounce no more than one time. Not the best way to check but it gives you a quick idea of how the shocks are.

Cheers

BJ

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Take care of the struts or any other handling issues first. Driving around with piss poor handling increases the risk of causing more body damage or worse.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i dont like what im hearing... i want my car to look good! people cant tell my sups is bad as easy as missing paint!
i have done the bouncing corner test - it bounces 3 or 4 times :p
when i do replace them i plan on using monroe seneatrac those are the best thing right?

[Sent via T-Mobile U360]

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Fix the struts man, or you'll be replacing a whole lot of suspension parts down the line.....paint can wait as long as there's no rust forming since it's just a plastic part. Believe me you'll love the ride, as you won't be squeaking along and bottoming out on bumps with a shiny car, I always laught at Civic drivers with their cut springs and shot struts as they bounce along on the highway even when the road is smooth.... :smilie_st

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
yeah dude, fix your struts, whats more embarrsing, having some paint gone or driving your gf, friends or someone important around and they flying all over the car cause it rides weird?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Do the wtruts, besides a nice looking car shouldnt be seen cornering like a land barge :) A bd looking car that corners like a race car is always a pleasure to see movin down the road!

·
Registered
530 Posts
Mr

I got a pair of brand new (boxed)Gabriel ultra rear struts model (G55665) off ebay for $75 shipped that I never put in if you want I will let go for the same. 1/2 price of retail !

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E8OU5E/ref=sr_11_1/102-3070799-3710560?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=15684181

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
from the shops have been to the senatracs are the best for our car - is there something better?
i would love those tein edfc... :p

[Sent via T-Mobile U360]

·
Registered
6,362 Posts
Im going to be the Devil's Advocate and say go with the paint...

On these first gen Intrepids, if the struts are bad, chances are 3 or 4 other suspension components are worthless too. You'll be looking at Struts, inner and outer tie rod ends, cradle bushings, etc... At least $1500 in parts and labor if done at a shop. You could get your whole car painted for that... twice if you pay me to do it! :p

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Dr5D said:
i dont like what im hearing... i want my car to look good! people cant tell my sups is bad as easy as missing paint!
when i do replace them i plan on using monroe seneatrac those are the best thing right?

[Sent via T-Mobile U360]
The monroe sensatrac is what I'm putting on my car soon. I already have the rear struts, but I ran into problems with the pinch bolt being rusted solid. Even PB Blaster isn't helping yet. My next step is using heat.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
gazetowardthesky said:
Im going to be the Devil's Advocate and say go with the paint...

On these first gen Intrepids, if the struts are bad, chances are 3 or 4 other suspension components are worthless too. You'll be looking at Struts, inner and outer tie rod ends, cradle bushings, etc... At least $1500 in parts and labor if done at a shop. You could get your whole car painted for that... twice if you pay me to do it! :p
Hmmm......
Interesting.......

Don't look and nothing can go wrong!

seriously, if yoiu find ball joints and tie rod ends bad and have to replace them, you're actually saving money in the long run.
One bad suspension or steering component put's extra wear and stress on other components causing them to wear out prematurely. Alignment can go out with bad tie rods and cause uneven and premature wear on the tires nessesitating new tires.

Take car of the mechanical stuff first, then the paint, you'll save money in the long run.

Dr5D said:
Yeah, they're shot

Cheers

BJ

1 - 15 of 15 Posts