DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In early august I bought a 94 Intrepid ES 3.5l at 91,000 miles. It was pretty much my dream come true. The car, however, is in horrible shape. I’ve spent the past six months investing every dime I have into fixing it up, and so far it hasn’t come to much.

I don’t know much about cars in general. I have yet to find something technological I can’t fix myself, though, and after discovering that my mechanic relative threw some generic tranny fluid in the car when he “looked it over” I refuse to trust him with any more repairs (he put the wrong type of break pad on the car as well). The deal is, I want to fix my car.

Aside from a crapload of cosmetic work, I seem to have the general Intrepid issues. My tranny computer was recently completely reprogrammed to solve a shifting lag, brakes were replaced, and of course the usual oil change, alignment, etc. I have noticed a rapid tapping noise, which I suspect to be a belt, a ticking noise inside of the car (not always; it reminds me of a loud clock) and a high pitched whistle when turning. Sometimes when accelerating on a turn or from a dead stop the car lurches foreword before accelerating.

I should also note that my car runs an entire segment higher on the temperature guage than my aunt’s 96 3.5ES, and I can’t account for it. (To clarify, it runs right on the segment directly below midway)

A dealer look-over reported that my motor is leaking oil, which will supposedly require a new motor.

After reading through the forums, I have identified several things I want/need to fix. Please, let me know if I should check out anything else, remembering of course that the most complex vehicle I have ever worked on is a 1959 tractor.

-Verify Copper Spark Plugs are installed/Replace
-Replace Serpentine Belt
-Verify Timing Belt Integrity
-Replace O-Rings
-Run a tank of 91 octane with fuel cleaner

There was more I wanted to do, but it’s late and I’ve spent the past four hours browsing through the forums. Any input would be helpful, and I promise to post pictures when I start/finish my custom paint work (finally, my fine arts degree is coming in handy)…

And Maybe I should run over to Advance and get the tech manual for the car too... Huh, I'm a regular brain trust.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Already done. That's how I discovered he put that cheap fluid in. I don't want to know what kind of oil he stuck in my beast... Suffice it to say that anything he touched I've replaced...

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
And water pump,since your replaceing you timing belt, also new fuel filter, check Power Steer fluid level, because of the high pitched whistle, could be low one fluid, or loose and/or bad belt. If you need any help, with something, I maybe able to get you some How-To's to help you out.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't think of the power steering fluid as a possible cause for the squeeky turns. I'll verify tomorrow when I install my headlamps and check the codes.

Do you really think a new water pump is nescessary at 100k miles? I had always been under the impression that radiators and water pumps lasted closer to 150k.

This is basicly my restoration project though, so what the heck... I'll practice on my mum's old LeBaron first though :D

If anything blows up I'll take you up on those how too's...

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
perpetualpeachyos said:
I didn't think of the power steering fluid as a possible cause for the squeeky turns. I'll verify tomorrow when I install my headlamps and check the codes.

Do you really think a new water pump is nescessary at 100k miles? I had always been under the impression that radiators and water pumps lasted closer to 150k.

This is basicly my restoration project though, so what the heck... I'll practice on my mum's old LeBaron first though :D

If anything blows up I'll take you up on those how too's...
Yep, at a 100 K, you need to replace that water pump before she goes, And trust me. she will go. Do a search on it and you'll see. As for the steering could be your fluid, the pump going,or just a loose, or bad belt, I would think.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts