DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys im very confused on something. I saw my freind he had a 1960's or somethings impala. and comming out of the exhaust was flame and he told me those were flame throwers and it wasnt that expensive to get.

I just wanna know im anyone knows if it will work on the intrepid. and also if it does where can i find them thanks allot.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I'm not sure how expensive they are, but on older cars (especially the muscle cars) with carburettors, you could hook up spark plugs to the exhaust pipes, and becuase those engines were pretty heavy polluters and sent a lot of un-burned fuel out the tailpipe, if you fired the spark plugs, you could get flames coming out the back. Not as good as proper flame throwers, but cheap, and cool, nonetheless. Now, with todays highly efficient, fuel injected, computer controlled engines, I am not sure if this would work or not...It would be interesting to find out though!
As for looks, they would look awesome coming out of a dual exhaust on the back of our 'Treps!!!

·
Registered
560 Posts
i'd just tell someone to hide in the back-seat, periodically emerging out of the rear window with a can of WD-40 and a lighter.....
that stuff burns real good :D

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
flame throwers?? is there a product that you can install that will make flames shoot out the pipes? I know all about the spark plugs with Carbs, think its pretty sweet, but like your not going to get anything out of an Intrepid, its pretty clean comming out of the exhaust. So just wondering if there was a such product that will work on fuel injected cars. not that I would get it, but just wondering.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
"It's only illegal if you get caught"

I remember I saw the flames thing in "the fast and the furious" but then again, that a movie....

I'd also be interested if this is possible...

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
You're right, back in the old days, guys with muscle cars could choke the carb to make it run real rich, then put a sprak plug at the end of the tailpipe and shoot flames. These days, that method is long gone and most kits use propane and a proper ignitor. "Gone in 60 Seconds" has a sweet Merc' with flame throwers, another one is "Sometimes They Come Back" by Steven King. I'm sure some info could be found on the internet. How well would that work for getting tailgaters off your ass? Just a thought.
JT

·
Registered
587 Posts
HAHAHAHA!!! Yeah, I never thought of that. I'm sure most tailgaters would surely back off when they saw 4 foot flames coming out your exhaust! And if not, well, then they will have to get a new bumper! :)

Anyone know what a simple system like that would cost for a dual exhaust?

·
Registered
167 Posts
JT has it right. You use to be able to choke the carb, and get a lot of unburnt gas in the exhaust. Then a you just need a spark plug in the tailpipe and it will go off. Today's EFI cars will never run that rich. And even if they did, the catalytic converter would ensure that there was nothing worth burning by the time the exhaust exited the car. If you've ever seen a "flame out" competition, you know that the old choke and spark plug trick has its limits. To get serious flames, you need to add some sort of fuel. Some people use propane. Others shoot gasoline into the exhaust. Something like a windsheild washer pump and nozzle will provide enough gasoline to make a lot of flames. But its pretty messy. Of course if you want to get serious about flames....get something like this: http://www.jetwebb.com/images/dragfyre7.jpg

Scott

·
Registered
2 Posts
This may seem obvious, but the Cat burns all the unburned gas in modern cars. Take them off, and it may work. Model "A" ignition coils were popular for doing this little flame thrower trick, theyre continuous sparking

2. I'd had to see what would happen to the plastic bumper caps on the intrepid

·
Registered
1 Posts
hope this helps yea

It will work on almost any E.F.I. car, truck, or motorcycle without a catalytic converter provided it does not have 4 or 6 cylinder engine ( motorcycles are exempt from this, but still can't have a catalytic converter). Cars or trucks with E.F.I. need to have an 8 cylinder engine or bigger to shoot flames. If you have an E.F.I. 4 or 6 cylinder engine with a turbo, N.O.S. , or major engine horsepower modifications the kit will work. If your car will not shoot flames using this basic kit you can still have some options ( see Mega Got Flames kit/plans on the Flame Kits page). Catalytic converters burn off gasses the motor doesn't burn therefore there is nothing to burn at the end of the tailpipes. You can remove the catalytic converter if you have one, but I do not recommend this as there are laws in every state that require you to have a properly working catalytic converter on your vehicle. There are fines for not meeting these laws.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
:rollgrin: :rollgrin: :rollgrin:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts