DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello-

I was driving home today and at a stop light my 2000 intrepid ES 3.2 completely died. Turning the key did nothing the first few tries, then finally it started! But it was as if the computer had rebooted... everything was reset, the clock back to 12:00, the temperature was at a default 75 degrees.

I assumed maybe the computer just crapped, but then later this evening i got a battery voltage light, and noticable flickering of dash lights and headlights. Ok, makes sense. Time for a new battery, right?

I take my car out, but when I try to start it, nothing... at least for the first few times. HEAVY interior dash flickering.... not just flicker flicker... but ON OFF ON OFF ON OFF, as if there was a loose connection somewhere. But I let it sit for a bit, come back to it, and it starts up.

Now, after starting, the battery light no longer comes on, but i get a check engine light. Not really noticing flickering anymore though...

I performed the code test and got these two:

1684, which is something to the effect of the battery having been disconnected recently, which, to my knowledge, hasnt happened intentionally.

I also get a 0106, which is some sort of MAP sensor voltage out of range. I have NO clue what this means.

After some reasearch on the forums, I stumbled across someone with similar symptoms. Per his advice, i checked the positive node connection under the hood, which appeared, besides a bit dirty, to make a clean connection and wouldnt really take any torque.

Before I go drop a load of money on this, can anyone offer any help? Thanks!

Chris

·
Mopar or No Car
7,869 Posts
You need to check and clean both battery posts and both jump posts. If you still have problems after that then it could be an alternator problem. My bet's on the battery or jump posts. When you say you "checked" the positive jump post what exactly do you mean? Did you take it apart and clean it good or not ...???

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Sounds like it's still the original battery- They must be good, I had mine 5 years! But they will die, and if a cell opens up internally, or shorts, it'll act like what you're describing. And have the mechanic clean the "jump" battery connect points,too, if you have the work done. Sometimes they need reminding...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
By checking the jump node i simply removed the plastic safety shield and examined it. Aside from corrosion, it looked tight, and i couldn't torque it with a wrentch.

I suppose I'll take it to a mechanic. I'm fairly certain its the original battery. Can anyone recommend anything for cleaning the posts... a kind of solvent that might get in there and wash away any interference?

And how do I replace the battery manually... I know it's stored in the wheel well, but i took a look in there and i think i have a good idea of what to do, but i was hoping for specific instructions.

Thanks!

·
Registered
238 Posts
The best thing to clean battery posts and the jumper posts is to get a battery terminal cleaner brush - most auto parts carry them. You can also use a little baking soda mixed in warm water with a stiff bristle brush. The other thing that works in an emergency is plain old Coke - thing about that the next time you drink a soda. Once you have the battery terminals cleaned off and the cables hooked back up and tight, put some wheel bearing grease on the terminals to keep them from corroding again.

As far as replacing the battery - pull the air cleaner out so you can get access to the top of the battery, pull the right front wheel off. There are about 8 screws holding the cover panel in place in the front of the wheel well. Once you get the panel off the battery can be removed from that area.

·
Mopar or No Car
7,869 Posts
jgams said:
The best thing to clean battery posts and the jumper posts is to get a battery terminal cleaner brush - most auto parts carry them. You can also use a little baking soda mixed in warm water with a stiff bristle brush. The other thing that works in an emergency is plain old Coke - thing about that the next time you drink a soda. Once you have the battery terminals cleaned off and the cables hooked back up and tight, put some wheel bearing grease on the terminals to keep them from corroding again.

As far as replacing the battery - pull the air cleaner out so you can get access to the top of the battery, pull the right front wheel off. There are about 8 screws holding the cover panel in place in the front of the wheel well. Once you get the panel off the battery can be removed from that area.
That about covers it - but don't forget to clean those jumper locations, too ...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts