DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, i think its about time for the trep to go, it served its purpose, and its just been having too many problems...time for a new car. I found a Lexus IS300, at a really good price, only thing is...it was a flood recovery...it had 5 inches of water in it, the fuse box was replaced, the air bag computer, and the carpet was dried...so im asking you guys...does this sound like a smart buy? does it sound like something could go wrong with it due to the water down the road? Or with those componets that were damaged being replace does it sound ok? possible transmission issues due to the water that was there before or what? Id like some more opinions.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
We will be seeing alot of flood cars thanks to the hurricaines. Besides a rusting issue electrical problems can a real issue with these cars. Thats why insurance companies normally just write these cars off. I wouldn't mess with it unless you are using it for a parts car.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
My Dad bought a brand new loaded up neon sxt last year that had just a little water in it... got it for $8000 and no problems whatsoever. Hella deal IMHO.

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Ummmmm, I wouldn't mess with a flood damaged car. Insurance companies write those things off right away for a reason!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hmmmm, so i have one positive opinion, and 2 negatives, and what do you mean by the car is written off, im sure i can still be insured through allstate for this car if i were to purchase...also, they offer a 4 year unlimited mile warranty.

Anyway...its a 2001 Lexus IS300, 30,000 miles....and its like 14,500, its so tempting, but i dont want to have a bunch of problems, and the trep is dying quick.

Also, what would 5 inches of water affect? transmission? because that isnt really enough to get into the engine

·
Registered
347 Posts
what do you mean by the car is written off
The insurance company pretty much declared the car a total loss. Even if it had no structural damage to the chassis, the water has reached areas where it should not.
And based on their experience, the insurance companies determined that it will be more expensive to cover the repairs so they just pay off the owner for market value.

For situations like what happened in New Orleans and Katrina, you saw that those cars were completely submerged so I would not even bother with those cars.

Also, what would 5 inches of water affect? transmission? because that isnt really enough to get into the engine
Thats 5 inches above its waterline limit, not 5 inches from the ground. The concern there is that the water may have caused rust damage on the underchassis. You dont want that thing to fall apart on you while driving, right?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Do not BUY a Flood Car. Don't care what it cost $1.00 is to much.
Electrical problems are waiting like little gremlins to bite you!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hmmm so im getting a consensus of this is a bad purchase, ok, guess not even worth the drive to go test her out.

·
Registered
8,464 Posts
Dude, Since I am in the health sciences field. I would not buy this car. First of all their are prolly is some underlying damage that can't be seen, mostly electrical. Also, If they just dried the car, that is not good. So much bacteria and organisms thrive on moist climates and love carpet. Mostly the virulent ones (The worst type of bacteria). Mold is commom, bacterial enterics and pathogens are very common as well. In laymen's terms, this stuff can get you VERY ill and could be fatal. I would never buy a car like this. It might be a good find, but i'm sure there are plenty others out there.
Hope this helps!

Dave :evilking:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
damn, well thanks everybody for the input, just gotta look for another good deal.

I had found 4 Lincoln LS's, in my price range with the mileage i wanted, no lie, all 4 got sold the day before i went to go test it out and possibly take it home...very depressiong, i have horrible luck

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Use your hard earned money on something better. I think all those hurricaine damaged car need to be scraped, and made into new cars. But there's going to be a ton of rip- off used car dealer's out there that will try to make a buck off some unluck soul.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Buying flood damaged cars is a very bad idea. My aunt bought a 1996 Taurus back in 1998 for only $9,500 and the car only had 13K on it. It was in a 'small' flood were the water was just soaked the carpet. Well, after the power seats would move by them selvs, constant stalling, that terrible odor, the oddly operating radio and HVAC controls, she finally dumped it when she stuck the key in, started it and the air bags deployed. She argued with the dealer that sold it to her, and they wouldn't fix any of the warranty stuff becuase the car was flood damaged, yet they told her they would. To prevent a lawsuit, they dealer bought back the car. She ended up getting a new 1999 Dodge Grand Caravan.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Why not another Trep?

Why not look for another Trep? -CW

Aviation said:
damn, well thanks everybody for the input, just gotta look for another good deal.

I had found 4 Lincoln LS's, in my price range with the mileage i wanted, no lie, all 4 got sold the day before i went to go test it out and possibly take it home...very depressiong, i have horrible luck

·
Registered
663 Posts
Ok, you have crap water everywhere in the frame of the car. This would be acidic. The body and frame will die before its time. Not to mention, you'll be exposing yourself and your family to hazards from the flood. To put it kindly, crap in the water. I say no. Let it go man.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Katrina Floded my friends saturn almost to the roof. we drained her out changed the fluids/ starter and she runs fine. there has been a few electrica problems. the fans dont come on automaticaly any more and the interior lights quit working. around here they dont total out a car unless the water was up to the dash board. just to let people that all flodded cars are not total losses.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts