DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Floor Shifter Repair

3K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  BatCaveTrep 
#1 ·
I don't have a picture yet, so hopefully I can explain. When moving the shifter out of Park, it needs some force. I believe the problem has to do with steel cable, on the left of the shifter, and it connected to a black piece. To know what I am talking about you would have had to have the top (not the knob or bezel for the forum asscrackers) of the shifter off. Is there a way to grease this cable? I'll take and post a picture in a bit.

#2 ·
Most cables end up getting a rusty spot somewhere along the way which causes the resistance. So, grease, (If you can get the grease to that spot), would only be a temporary fix.

I had a Concorde that had the shift rod inside the transmission binding. I had replaced the cable only to find the shifter still had high effort to take it out of park.

#3 ·
So here is the picture. The problem is the cable, on left and sounds like it goes to the steering, is sticking, which caused the little metal piece to bend, thus slipping from the black piece. Now I have reassemble that, but not until I repair or replace the cable.

#4 · (Edited)
That is your shifter interlock mechanism. If that is getting all bent out of shape, you might have problems with the Interlock mechanism or the other end at the column. That will take a bit of invesigating.

EDIT: There also is likely to be a solenoid about halfway down the cable. Be sure it's properly plugged in as well. Do not grease this small cable!

#5 ·
Does the interlock prevent the shifter from shifting into reverse from drive? I managed to get the metal tab back in but the shifter is freely shifting without having to push the button and there is still stiffness/tension. It looks like I may need a new one. If that is the case, may get a new cable with it, which there doesn't seen to be any solenoid. Tomorrow I will have the driver's side apart, yet again, and I will look closer.

#6 ·
The design was to prevent the car from coming out of park unless the driver had the brake pedal pressed and the key was in the off or run position. The locked position was supposed to prevent the shifter from being moved.

Generally, this setup was easily overridden with some old fashioned elbow grease but, the end result was it was permanently broken. Sometimes the pin can be straightened and repaired w/o replacing the shifter.

#8 ·
After messing with it, somemore, I discovered the black piece is causing the problems. Even when going back into P, it doesn't fully come back up, therefore you can't turn the ignition all the way off. I think it has to do with the metal tab part. Will try greasing it and see how it works than.

#11 ·
Figured I would give a quick update. The black piece is the definate problem-causer, but it's not working alone. If If I back out the screw, driver front on the shifter cover, the black piece will fully retract when shifting into P. The stiffness, from shifting out of P, is also gone. Not sure why, as you can't see the piece, unless you pull the entire setup from the car. Maybe later, but for now I put a put a washer, between the cover and base, and tighten the screw. All good. :baller:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.