DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guess what I found while doing a little cleaning? My digital voice recorder. You know what was on there? A couple of files I recorded of my Flowmaster 40 Original Series muffler. :)

These were taken back in February of 2005. The recorder was just sitting on the passenger seat, so pardon some of the background noise and the vibration noise. The muffler was a single-in/single-out Flowmaster 40 Original Series. It had a Hooker Header dual flange exhaust tip. I do not recall if these recording were taken before or after the exhaust tip rusted off. I do know there was a sound difference between having the tip on, and having the tip off.

I will try to get some of my current set-up, which is a Flo-Pro VForce single-in/dual-out muffler with dual flange exhaust tips.

http://intrepidrt.brianchase.us/sound/Flowmaster40_idle.wav
http://intrepidrt.brianchase.us/sound/Flowmaster40_drive.wav

·
Registered
494 Posts
what exactly did u have done with the flowmaster system on?? I am getting the trubendz single rear flowmaster with dual out set up soon and am liking the sound u got with flowmaster....did u remove any resonators or ??????

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ARedTrepRT said:
what exactly did u have done with the flowmaster system on?? I am getting the trubendz single rear flowmaster with dual out set up soon and am liking the sound u got with flowmaster....did u remove any resonators or ??????
I basically had the stock muffler and rear resonator removed, and replaced with the Flowmaster. The front resonator remained in place, mainly because the installation was easier.

·
Registered
494 Posts
that sounds good...I was hoping to do the install myself with a lift...hopefully no welding or minimal since my friend does autobody repair and could probably do a little for me if need be....thankx...

·
Registered
366 Posts
Did you drive the car without the resonator but with the stock muffler still on? I've been thinking about cutting out the front resonator but leaving the muffler and rear resonator on. Didn't know if anyone has done that and noticed a sound difference/performance difference...

·
Registered
98 Posts
That's terrific, are you noticing an increase of noise in the cabin at local and/or highway speeds? Was that a direct bolt on process or were mods required? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
djpadko said:
That's terrific, are you noticing an increase of noise in the cabin at local and/or highway speeds? Was that a direct bolt on process or were mods required? Thanks.
It's noticeable, but certainly not deafening. The stereo, even at modest levels, usually drowns out the exhaust at cruising speeds.

I didn't do the install myself, but the shop basically cut the pipe between the front resonator and the muffler, than bent some pipe and welded that between the cut pipe and the Flowmaster, than welded the tip onto the Flowmaster.

I didn't do it myself since I don't know how to weld, nor did I have a way to access the under carriage. But if you have the means, it's certainly something that you could do yourself.

I think TrueBendz offers a direct bolt on kit (single or dual) with either a Flowmaster or Magnaflow muffler.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Sounds darn good! I cut my muffler and tail pipe off last night, and put on a cherry bomb which i picked up at checker auto parts 4 $25.99 mine sounds real good now 2. I also noticed it seems 2 have more get up and go, especailly in the low-mid range rpms, but not much of a difference in the higher rmp range.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts