DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd see if I could post a pic of the exhaust setup. I put on a 2-1/4" Flowmaster 50 to replace both rear mufflers on my '98 Intrepid ES. Had it for a couple months now and absolutely love it! It sounds for all the world like it's got a 400HP V8 under the hood. There's some interior resonance but it's mild. Might replace the front muffler with another Flowmaster, but will have to get one with dual inlets and single outlet in order to preserve the layout, or else put in a Y-pipe and go single-inlet/single-outlet on the muffler.

Marcus
'98 Intrepid ES 3.2L

Attachments

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
just so ya know.. that front one is a Cat-converter, not a muffler... so replacing it might be illegal in your state because your car might not be old enough to allow service to the emmissions systems..........

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
It looks awesome, nonetheless

·
Registered
504 Posts
Lafrad said:
just so ya know.. that front one is a Cat-converter, not a muffler... so replacing it might be illegal in your state because your car might not be old enough to allow service to the emmissions systems..........
Actually, I don't think so. There are two cats (at least on mine), then they go into a muffler/resonator, then on to the back.

·
Registered
349 Posts
1st gen has a cat there.. 2nd gen it is a resonator.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
hmm.... I remember the whole resonator/cat's thing awhile back... I was thinkin these cars all have 3 cats? the two small ones and the one big one? is that the case? if the third on is just a resonator... look out.. my car is goin to get Duals all the way back ASAP........

·
Registered
336 Posts
Lafrad, you have a 1st gen, we have 2nd gens. Someone just said the 1st gens have a Cat there and the 2nd gen's don't.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
the cats are way up at the front of the car, like right by the engine, then the big ass one is the muffler, then the last one at the end is a resinator.

·
Registered
560 Posts
First Gen 3.5L goes manifolds, cat on end of each... which go into a 3rd cat...its dual in, single out... to a muffler (big thing under car) to a resonator in rear.

3.3L same thing? minus rear resonator

2nd gen 3,2L/3.5L: two cats, two resonators, and a muffler

cat convert directly on manifold (1st gen is after)...to a dual in/single out front resonator....to a muffler...to a rear resonator...

thats how it a goes

·
Registered
890 Posts
Did you guys check out were he lives:tongue: :tongue:

FLORIDA That means no Emission test never:tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

and beautiful hot weather:bigsmile: :bigsmile:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's true about the cats -- there is one cat mounted or welded right to the bottom of each exhaust manifold, so the cats can heat up quickly to control emissions better, and so that they'll run more efficiently.

That front muffler is definitely not a cat -- it's an extremely thin-wall muffler/resonator.

I keep hearing that this one's a muffler, that one's a resonator, and that one's a resonator, too -- how can you tell the difference? They all look like generic turbo mufflers to me, probably Maremont, which is probably why there are three of them, to cut down the resonance in the vehicle. Wish I had peeled open those two rear mufflers to be certain. Anyone tried that?

I 'bought' the Flowmaster and chrome tip from a friend of mine who had bought it and installed it on his Civic. As you might imagine, that Flowmaster wasn't a great choice for a Civic (way too loud), so he replaced it with a somewhat quieter muffler. I actually only gave him $10 and the original Diablo II game (retail box) since I never play that game any more. Pretty good deal. Installation was $93.

There's nowhere near as much resonance in the Intrepid as there was in his Civic, but it would be nice if the interior resonance could be toned down a notch. I plan to replace the only remaining muffler/resonator (the front one) with another Flowmaster. With a little luck, that might tone down the resonance a bit, with a Flowmaster up front and the other in the rear.

I really love the new sound, though, really sounds like it's one bad Mopar-mobile, even if it's really not as mean as it sounds. :p

-- Marcus
Merritt Island, Florida

·
Registered
973 Posts
Marcus - the exhaust system is purchased by DC from Walker, the same folks that make Dynomax. Walker and Dynomax are part of the Tenneco corporate family. I learned more about them than I really wanted to know while I was chasing down the answer to my new and "improved" relacement stock exhaust system. They are not Maremont (or whatever THAT company is).

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the info -- I hope Chrysler got a good price on those mufflers with putting three in each car!

I have to give Chrysler their props for designing a good large diameter mandrel-bent exhaust system -- one of the best single exhaust systems I've ever seen, not a wrinkle or crimp anywhere.

Maremont has made tons of mufflers ever since we were all in diapers, many of them are sold under other labels or installed on vehicles as OEM. They're actually the leader in sheer production of aftermarket exhaust. So many times I've found that one muffler or another is originally made by Maremont, so I've begun to expect it! lol

-- Marcus

1 - 16 of 16 Posts