DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After years of listening to my crappy stock Infinity separates, it's time for something new. This weekend I stopped by a few shops and took a listen to the Boston Pro 60 and Focal k2p's. My favorite, the k2p's, are rated at 100W RMS and 200W max. The Pro 60's are rated at 125W RMS.

So, my question is will my PG x200.4 be too powerful to drive the speakers? The amp puts out 200W RMS per channel. The k2p's have a max spec of 200W. I don't want to spend the dough just to have them blow up on me. Of course, the car audio retailers selling the components told me there would not be a problem probably to get me to spend some $$$.

Any inputs from the car audio experts regarding my dilemma? I probably bought too much of an amp for separates.

Also, I'm still looking for a set of 5 1/4 for the rear. I think 200W RMS will kill any rear stage speaker I add too with similar specs. So, I take it max is just that, MAX wattage. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
280 Posts
That amp will work great with either one of those speakers as long as you set your amp correctly like gain/boost/ect, due to the voltage drop your spreakers will probably only see about 160-170RMS from that amp because its rated at 14.4V. Last time I checked my voltage at the amp I was getting 13.5 I think...

·
Registered
105 Posts
It is better to drive any speaker with alittle too much CLEAN power than it is to drive a speaker with not enough CLIPPED/DISTORTED power!!!!!!! You should be fine.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like I'm getting the k2p's :) We'll see if it turns out to be a $500+ mistake :(

Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
I want that amp to go with my X1200.1 :(

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Avenger said:
I want that amp to go with my X1200.1 :(
I have 2 of them too :icon_bigg

I was looking at a 1200.1 on ebay for $400. It is worth the $$$? I'd have to get some subs too at that point. My type-s would explode :explosion

1 - 6 of 6 Posts