DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Darn it- I forgot about the "creative crimping" part when I upgraded my bulbs. Now I have to do that again when I replace a blown one.

·
Registered
8,099 Posts
Originally posted by BK:
I think the Piaa connectors are a flat type connector and the Dodge connectors are round.
Yep, that's right. They are common connectors as well. I was able to build the special connector I used because we had the opposite connectors for both of them in our basement already. Just put both of those on a short piece of wire and connected it in the middle.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by BK:
I think the Piaa connectors are a flat type connector and the Dodge connectors are round.
Originally posted by Intrepid99:
I made a special connector, but Joekd said he used "Creative Crimping" ;)
So this "creative crimping"... Is that taking the flat PIAA and "rounding" them to fit the Dodge connection?

Thanks.

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
yes, that's exactly what I did, flattened the barrel connector around a stright screwdriver so that it matches up with the PIAA flat blade style of the bulbs, then I just slid on the new bulbs and to be safe I wrapped the ends with electrical tape

The whole thing takes about 5 minutes per bulb including removal and reinstall (the fog light is held into the bumper with 1 screw and the bulb itself locks in with a spring clip)

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
huh, thats cool. Im looking at upgrading all my front lights. I want to change my blue bulbs to blue leds. and all my driving/fog lights to PIAA. But its kinda pricy.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Originally posted by blkbute:
huh, thats cool. Im looking at upgrading all my front lights. I want to change my blue bulbs to blue leds. and all my driving/fog lights to PIAA. But its kinda pricy.
If you want to stay with blue lighting, APC makes some nice H3 bulbs with a hint of blue in the light beam...just like the headlights i have. Just an idea :rolleyes:

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
like I said before, PIAA bulbs are pricey but are worth every penny, if you wanted cheap bulbs check PEP Boys or JCWhitney, they have tons of replacement bulbs, just dont count on quality

as for the LED's, again they are pricey but mine have a lifetime warranty to justify the price, be sure you buy LED bulbs with 15 leds, not 12, this way the center of the bulb has leds instead of just the outside circle of the bulb

·
Registered
138 Posts
I was looking at PIAA bulbs for my headlights but according to PIAA's website (PIAA - bulbs) they're N/A. Has anyone found the correct bulbs or arewe talking some more "creative" installs?

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'm talking about the headlights, not the fog lights.

·
Registered
138 Posts
No problem. The thread started to take a headlight branch so the thought I'd go with it.

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
the bulbs to buy are 9006 + 9007, not 9006XS + 9007xs as your manual states. The difference between the two bulbs is the connector has a 90 degree angle, not a straight boot. The connectors still line up correctly (actually in my opinion slightly better) and the switch is very easy to do

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'm installing my new PIAA H3 Xtreme White's today. I'm going to try and make an "adaptor" using the round male connector from the original bulb and soldering it back-to-back with a female spade connector. Finish it off with some heat shrink tubing and it should be good to go. Should make any future changeouts a snap.

I'll post how it works.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts