DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got an 1997 Intrepid with the 3.5L engine, it is leaking oil from the valve covers dose anyone know what it owuld cost to get that fixed? My fog light also dont work i'm thinking i need new bulbs but not for sure... Could it be a blown fuse?

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Yep, most likely the fuse, but if not then it may be the headlight switch if the fuse is not bad. Does the little green light come on the bulb when you turn your headlights on then pull on the knob? Here's a diagram for the fog wire's to help you out if you need it.

Not sure on having the Valve Cover gasket's being done by someone else though.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no the green light dose not come on when i pull on the nob :banghead: , and as far as the valve cover gose, dose it have a gasket, or a squeez out da bottle gasket, i might just do all of it my self i might as well that way i know its done right...

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
My valve cover leaks too. But it aint bad. Unless its really bad i wouldnt worry bout it. The cost to pay someone to fix it wouldnt justify. Just check it once in a while.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
* My foglights also didnt work. The switch is a common problem i think. thats what mine was anyways.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
how did u fix the switch? but i'm thinking it is a blown fuse but it oculd be the switch... never know. well as far as the valve cover gose, every time it runs for 10 min it starts smoking... so i dont know what to do it dont look to bad but i dont know for sure.. i dont know what kind of oil is running in it i hope not penzoil..

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
try tightening the bolts for the valve covers(the ones you can get to). But the gaskets are like $15( then about $10 for the other ones that will need to be replaced when disassembling) its just the labor that would get you.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Labor is no problem for me, i just rebuilt a 350 engine my 2nd one :smile: but it dose look like it would be a full days work just getting to the valve cover so u could take it off.. then a nother days work replacing the gaskets and putting it back to geather.. i'll try and snug down the bolts, i dont wanna strip it out and make it leak more oil... it just got lisenced to day so my mom will be driving it back and forth to work, o god please protech my car from that evil smoker :flame: ... i told her no smoking in the car but i know she will... :cussing:

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well the valve cover bolts where so loose i could turn them with my fingers, so i tightend them down snug, as far as the fog lights go, i started looking that the fuse pannle and dotn ask me how i guessed witch one but i some how guess witch one it was and by looking at the thing that comes off so u can get to the fuses it is sopost to have a blue 15 fuse, it has a red 10 fuse so i switched out a blue 15 fuse from a one of the head lights to see if it would work, well it dose but only on dim are they sopost to only be on when ur lights are dimmed? and the drivers side one works but the passenger side dont so i'm gonna take it out and check the connecter and make sure it is connect good.. any other tips ?

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Fogs come on only with the dims (from the factory that is)

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
micholob said:
Fogs come on only with the dims (from the factory that is)
is there a way to make them come on with the brights? how do u get the carpet that is over the rear 6x9s off?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Xpid said:
well the valve cover bolts where so loose i could turn them with my fingers, so i tightend them down snug...
My valve cover bolts were loose enough to turn by hand too. I put a socket on as many as I could get to and snugged them up. I think for the most part the leaking has stopped. Now my oil fill cap is leaking. I think if I bend the two metal prongs up it should fix the problem. I also have a little oil coming out around the breather hoses, not sure why. Oil level it right on the top mark, not overfilled.

I don’t know why the valve cover bolts should be loose on these cars. It seems like a fairly common issue. I get the feeling something got passed over on the assembly line or they had an incorrect torque setting somewhere.

-GB49

·
Registered
639 Posts
The gasket gets old and hardens (shrinks) causing the bolts to become loose. They should only be tightened to about 20 in pounds (about how tight a spark plug gets tightened). Any tighter will cause the gasket to get squished and will end up causing another leak. To replace the, you have to remove the aluminum intake plenum, making a great opportunity to clean that out.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well i tightend them down just snug, and to get to the 6x9s is gonna be hard for me my dad keeps b!tchin at me about taking the interior apart and to see if they are blown just turn it up and listen for the paper and all this other crap.. well we all know they arn't make out of paper anymore.. i need to get the blue 15 fuse some time i'm running a yellow 20 in it my dad says it will be fine but i would rather it be fixed right then half azzed.. so to my dad >> :00000014: << :)

·
Registered
183 Posts
Xpid said:
but it dose look like it would be a full days work just getting to the valve cover so u could take it off.. then a nother days work replacing the gaskets and putting it back to geather..
You could easily complete it in a day. I have taken everything just before the valve covers off and on multiple times in a day. I just discovered on monday that mine were loose also. I just tightened the ones I could access because I plan on putting new covers on in the near future and I can then make sure they are all tight.

·
Registered
35 Posts
yeah mine didn't work either when i looked at the car before i bought it but they fixed it LOL, my valve covers leak a bit to but its not pouring or spraying out so its not a big deal at the moment, my machanic wanted to charge me $250 to put new cork gasgets in and then $200 more for the oil pan gasget.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Get the OEM or Fram valve cover gaskets as they are metal with a rubber seal - they will last much longer and seals better than cork.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts