DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to add foglights to my trep but I need some advice.
What type of lights should I buy(from dealership, walmart, autozone etc)? What size, shape(I like the round ones and I think they would be the right fit but I've never installed foglights b4 so I want to be sure)? Would it be better to install a seperate switch to turn them on and off or splice into headlight wiring if thats even possible? Can I buy the housing to make them look like they came installed on the car or do I have to buy the whole front bumper and replace it?
I know these questions probably sound dumb but I did the search and couldnt find the answers I needed. I hate to pay the dealership for labor when I can do it myself. :auto_07:

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
jamieandtroy said:
I want to add foglights to my trep but I need some advice.
What type of lights should I buy(from dealership, walmart, autozone etc)? What size, shape(I like the round ones and I think they would be the right fit but I've never installed foglights b4 so I want to be sure)? Would it be better to install a seperate switch to turn them on and off or splice into headlight wiring if thats even possible? Can I buy the housing to make them look like they came installed on the car or do I have to buy the whole front bumper and replace it?
I know these questions probably sound dumb but I did the search and couldnt find the answers I needed. I hate to pay the dealership for labor when I can do it myself. :auto_07:
The best way to do it is look on ebay or a junkyard for the whole front bumper, with the foglights already in the right places, and then you could either buy the stock foglight switch or just do a plain old flipswitch somewhere. You are either going to have to look a million places for a matching color bumper or you are going to have to either paint it yourself or pay someone to paint it. The housing of the foglights are actually molded into the bumper, you can't really just add the foglights to a non-foglight bumper.

The EASIEST way to do it is just buy a regular wal-mart foglight set and find a place low on your bumper where you think it would look/work the best. Then you would need to wire up your own switch. I am not sure if you can hook it up safely to a regular headlight switch. Someone add to my information, i know i started them off, but someone who has actually done it could help more.

Josiah

·
Registered
709 Posts
You're options are as vast as your budget:

You can go with the OE look and get an ES/RT bumper, OE foglights and then either do up a custom wiring harness or follow the HOW-TO, thusly needing only needing the wires and a foglight capable headlight switch (see this SALE post for switch, about half way down for 10 bucks).
Purchasing things for the OE style will probably be cheapest going thru ebay or finding a junkyard bumper that is color matched. Most bumpers off ebay will be primered and you'd than have to have a body shop spray it to match. With the foglight units you can again hit ebay, the dealership, a junkyard or hit ProCarParts.com.

Or you can find a set of aftermarket fog/driving lights you like and choose a place to install them on the bumber/bumper crush support.

I went with the latter of the two and I've got mine mounted in the lower outter pocket holes in the SE bumper:

Either way you go about it you'll have to do some form of wiring as well as mounting work, it's all in how much money you wanna spend.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey Sport-Sound Edition, what brand of foglights do you have installed? I'm looking for some after markets that fit in the holes of my Trep SE bumper.
Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
709 Posts
rgbryla said:
Hey Sport-Sound Edition, what brand of foglights do you have installed? I'm looking for some after markets that fit in the holes of my Trep SE bumper.
Thanks,
Rob
I think they are Pilot fog projector units, kinda like THESE. They are just your simple Fog projectors (has a blue/yellow/purple tinted glass creating a yellow/amber output), it was what fit in the opening. When I was shopping for them I simply asked the clerk if I could take one of the lamp units out of the box and out to my car to test fit, and then got the one the fit the best.

And just so ya know I had to cut the opening to clear the bracket as well as they are pretty much pressure fit into the opening. I'd advise trimming the lower lip away to clear the projector over trying to squeeze it in, it will allow you to mount the unit level as well as be able to adjust it for aiming.

Also when purchasing aftermarket lighting kits try to make sure you get units that come with a relay. The ones that just have a switch are unsafe (all the power is running thru the switch over thru the relay) and can cause a fire. A kit likeTHIS is always a good replacement for a simple switch kit (kit containing just a fuse, switch and wires) and will work for aftermarket units or if hooking up OE lightes to the OE plug unit...... either way a aux wiring kit is a lot cheaper than a new car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts